Model Cars Magazine Forum

JO-HAN Maverick kits

fomocomav

38 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

Snake

I have NO idea the paint used on this. I bought it with plans to redo it. I just cant bring myself to take it apart.

I don't blame you a bit. I wouldn't either. 

I couldn't even bring myself to strip and repaint this one, though I DID take it apart and restore and Snake-Fu it as necessary. I think the original builder would be pleased. B)

70MaverickPro01.jpg.200a03aded494b849b45955962c5697b.jpg

70MaverickPro07.jpg.84df988b5823808bdc1ffb3f52adfa89.jpg

From what I gathered from Okey Spaulding back when he bought the remaining Jo-Han tooling, the Maverick-specific stuff is gone.  And might have been for years.  I was so desperate to get some things from him, and they just didn't exist.  The last time I bought a new Jo-Han Maverick kit was 1999/2000.  They weren't easy to get, and they went fast.  I have no word on the story about WHEN the Maverick stuff disappeared, just that it HAD disappeared.  So it must have made it to about 2000.  Apparently IMC (not Industro-Motive Corp from the '60s) had the tooling for the 1975 Cutlass and the 1959 Rambler, and Okey had the EZ Turbine car, '59 Rambler, (maybe) the '69 AMX and '69 Rambler, and the Mercury Comet, but that seems to be the limit on complete kits that could be sold.  There have been rumors recently about someone having the 1959 Dodge tooling somewhere, but I haven't seen the tooling or heard of kits ever being produced.  Not that I would be on the list to get the info, but that's my 2¢.

10 hours ago, fomocomav said:

Apparently IMC (not Industro-Motive Corp from the '60s) had the tooling for the 1975 Cutlass and the 1959 Rambler, and Okey had the EZ Turbine car

IMC (Illinois Model Company) had the curbside Turbine Car, along with the '75 Olds Cutlass and '59 Rambler wagon curbside:

I am fairly confident the Comet kit still exists and wasn't scrapped nor irreparably damaged. It's one one the ex-JO-HAN kits I hope that can one day be reissued.

11 hours ago, fomocomav said:

From what I gathered from Okey Spaulding back when he bought the remaining Jo-Han tooling, the Maverick-specific stuff is gone.  And might have been for years.  I was so desperate to get some things from him, and they just didn't exist.  The last time I bought a new Jo-Han Maverick kit was 1999/2000.  They weren't easy to get, and they went fast.  I have no word on the story about WHEN the Maverick stuff disappeared, just that it HAD disappeared.  So it must have made it to about 2000.  Apparently IMC (not Industro-Motive Corp from the '60s) had the tooling for the 1975 Cutlass and the 1959 Rambler, and Okey had the EZ Turbine car, '59 Rambler, (maybe) the '69 AMX and '69 Rambler, and the Mercury Comet, but that seems to be the limit on complete kits that could be sold.  There have been rumors recently about someone having the 1959 Dodge tooling somewhere, but I haven't seen the tooling or heard of kits ever being produced.  Not that I would be on the list to get the info, but that's my 2¢.

What about the Fury police car? I know that was out around 2000?

If I am not mistaken, didn't the 59 Dodge and Turbine car show up at one of the shows on the Moebius display?

1 minute ago, Sledsel said:

If I am not mistaken, didn't the 59 Dodge and Turbine car show up at one of the shows on the Moebius display?

I forgot about that one.  But thinking back on it, I think I remember, I could be wrong, that the Fury and the Rambler wagon were cobbled together out of parts already produced, and that new decal sheets, and SOME custom wheel covers for the Rambler were made to go into the kits.  Along with new boxes, of course.  I do not remember if the Turbine car was also cobbled together from existing overrun/unsold parts or not.  This was all a long time ago that I talked to Okey and got the info from his website.  I DO remember him saying quite a bit of tooling was missing, and had been slowly "misplaced" since the original company had started having financial troubles.  Now, the workers that might have ended up with the tooling may still have them, or they may have been turned into Buicks by now.  Who knows.  My thought is that most of the former glory that was Jo-Han is never going to come back.  As to what showed up at the shows by Moebius, I cannot say.  If the '59 Dodge DID, is it still missing the interior?

17 hours ago, Sledsel said:

Considering the Testors release of the Comet (69 AMX, and 69 Rambler) there is a slight chance these tools may exist today.

Possibly. .....this one can't be counted out either.      We could hope,right?

0831181233.jpg

40 minutes ago, Khils said:

Possibly. .....this one can't be counted out either.      We could hope,right?

0831181233.jpg

Would love to see that back. IMHO it has a superior overall body shape to any of Revellogram's THREE attempts at a '70 Cuda. I recently bought a glue bomb of one of these JUST to graft in the Revell 3rd generation grille and tail panel and build the Sox & Martin '70 Pro Stock out of it. 

3 hours ago, Sledsel said:

Yep!  iHobby 2014 I believe.  

2014iHobby_Moebius%5B19%5D%2Bcopy.JPG

Edited by Brett Barrow

1 hour ago, Brett Barrow said:

Yep!  iHobby 2014 I believe.  

2014iHobby_Moebius%5B19%5D%2Bcopy.JPG

Thought so.... Even as curb sides, I would buy them!!!!

As for the Cuda, I knew I was missing one. I also think Testors did the '70 Olds 442 also with the photoetch pieces and optional wheels and tires. These were all fairly recent in the history of Johan tooling, so hopefully they survive somewhere.

Edited by Sledsel

5 hours ago, iBorg said:

If you consider how much is shared between the Comet and the Maverick the amount of new parts to make the Maverick isn't that great. The body, grill, bumpers and tail lights. For the amount of demand, it seems fairly doable.

It's probably doable, but unless someone fronted the money for it, I'm not exactly sure Okey is in a position to lay out the cash. You'd be talking a low 5 figure number when you consider the tooling costs combined with trying to make a new body fit a nearly 50 yr old base kit.

59 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

It's probably doable, but unless someone fronted the money for it, I'm not exactly sure Okey is in a position to lay out the cash. You'd be talking a low 5 figure number when you consider the tooling costs combined with trying to make a new body fit a nearly 50 yr old base kit.

Not a whole new body. Just a hood, grille/front bumper unit, insert for the tail panel and the taillight lenses with bezel. Not that much. (In the grand scheme of things. Okey's budget not withstanding).

I've got both of these. There's differences in the hood as well as the tail light panel. I believe there's also differences in the front end sheet metal.

I agree Okey has made a valiant effort but he lacks the capital to make a go of it. I also question who has the molds for the Rambler, Comet and 'Cuda as the last time they were run was under the Testors banner. For all we know they could be in Round 2's storage facility but the molds not fit a current molding machine.

Just a question- and sorry if I missed it in the flurry of info on this thread- but did anyone ever do a flat hood for the Comet version of the kit? I know Bandit Resins has a grabber hood for the Maverick but I don't recall seeing a replacement hood for the Comet. I plan to build my Comet ('90's Pro Street issue) a bit closer to stock and losing the giant scoop and hole in the hood is an absolute must. :) It looks like the rear wheel openings are also radiused a tad, but I think that I can live with. 

46 minutes ago, Chuck Most said:

Just a question- and sorry if I missed it in the flurry of info on this thread- but did anyone ever do a flat hood for the Comet version of the kit? 

Not that I can recall. I'm pretty sure Juha Airio's stock Comet build in Car Modeler showed him filling in the non-stock hood, but that was the only time I can recall a stock Comet hood mentioned.

55 minutes ago, Chuck Most said:

Just a question- and sorry if I missed it in the flurry of info on this thread- but did anyone ever do a flat hood for the Comet version of the kit? I know Bandit Resins has a grabber hood for the Maverick but I don't recall seeing a replacement hood for the Comet. I plan to build my Comet ('90's Pro Street issue) a bit closer to stock and losing the giant scoop and hole in the hood is an absolute must. :) It looks like the rear wheel openings are also radiused a tad, but I think that I can live with. 

Missing Link does a stock hood for the Comet.  I have one, and it is nice.

7 hours ago, Chuck Most said:

Thanks guys! Not sure why I didn't just check Kevin's site to begin with- a flat Comet hood seems like the kind of thing he'd have in his product line. :)

I don't think it is on his website yet, just eBay.  Also, he makes an engine bay (from the 1969 Torino Cobra, if I'm not mistaken) that is just about as perfect for a Maverick/Comet as you can get.  It WILL need trimming, as the Jo-Han kits aren't perfect chassis-wise, but if you are going whole hog, this is another part you will want to get.