Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '65 Chevy II Hardtop

Casey

By chance does anyone happen to have an AMT '65 Chevy II Hardtop "Craftsman" kit, and be willing to share some pictures of the contents? With Moebius' upcoming '64/'65 Chevy II Sedans, I thought it might be a good time to look over and discuss the good, bad, and ugly regarding the vintage AMT kit, which is never to return. -_-

AMT65chevyII.jpg.b0341181d57e14dc0d2e027cec2bdad1.jpg

I appears AMT captured the body shape quite well...:

amtchevyII4.jpg.0ce1cd97bf225b89a3b15500e9858ae8.jpg

amt65chevyII5.jpg.4259e85386b3f9dad884d4bcf9c30fce.jpg

...but the chassis is promo style, with molded in everything and an engine 'plate' insert:

amt65chevyii3.jpg.3de186de8c933b785a351b52bbc9c567.jpg

amt65chevyii2.jpg.06e2bddf02f8f140564cc627f9f4c433.jpg

If the interior parts and chassis molds still exists, it might be worth Round 2's trouble to un-alter the Funny Car body and reissue this one. I know I'd buy at least half a dozen. 

I'm planning to un-alter the wheelbase of one of the funnies, and put it on the chassis and interior from a '66 Chevy II pro street. Just because I can. 

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:59 AM, Bob Ellis said:

The engine bay is open , ready for a 327. Anybody try putting an ERTL  66 Nova chassis under it?

I've tried it, it's a good fit.  I've already got a Craftsman '65, so I was looking at it the same way Snake is (as in, sliding the pro street chassis under an AWB body with the quarter panels returned to near-stock).  I believe the '66 underbody fits the '63 wagon also.  I've got a Boss Nova body with the wheel openings and hole in the roof fixed, now I need to get off my duff and scribe the panel lines back in...

That interior was an eBay find; unfortunately I was outbid for the dash in another auction. I'm doing my usual Frankenstein bit - Rat Packer body/glass/bumpers; lower rear quarters, chassis, dash and engine compartment from a gluebomb '62 convertible; NOS 327 engine from a '63 Nova and '65 Craftsman interior bucket from eBay; Modelhaus stock hood; and wheels/tires either stock SS from the Trumpeter kit or deep chrome reverses from the original issue of the Deora. Tom Piagari molded and cast the tail and backup lights in red and clear resin for me (thanks as always!).

Bit by bit...  

2 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

That interior was an eBay find; unfortunately I was outbid for the dash in another auction. I'm doing my usual Frankenstein bit - Rat Packer body/glass/bumpers; lower rear quarters, chassis, dash and engine compartment from a gluebomb '62 convertible; NOS 327 engine from a '63 Nova and '65 Craftsman interior bucket from eBay; Modelhaus stock hood; and wheels/tires either stock SS from the Trumpeter kit or deep chrome reverses from the original issue of the Deora. Tom Piagari molded and cast the tail and backup lights in red and clear resin for me (thanks as always!).

Bit by bit...  

I like! When can we start seeing some Workbench pics? 

You're making me want to get started on one. I think I'll build up the AMT '66 pro street chassis first, and then build the body around it, setting the wheel openings back to where the front edge matches up with whatever bigass tires I decide to use, and then extending the openings rearward. Planning to just use the '66 PS interior for that one, modifying as necessary. 

I also have a nice resin copy of the AMT Craftsman hardtop body. And I believe I have a complete Modelhaus interior for it. I'll put that one on a stock AMT '66 Nova chassis and do it as either a nice late '60s cruiser or a high school hot rod. 

On 9/13/2018 at 11:19 AM, Casey said:

Is that convertible-specific interior tub what remains?

*edit*It looks like a hardtop-specific interior tub never existed, according to the '62 Chevy II Sport Coupe instruction sheet:

AMT1962ChevyII2.jpg

Whenever an AMT kit of that era had hardtop and convertible variants, they pretty much always shared a convertible interior tub with no hardtop specific tub.

I love this thread. I have quite a few "box" Novas in my collection waiting to be done, an AMT 62 Convertible,

a Trumpeter 63 SS hardtop, an AMT 63 SS Convertible, where I used the 66 Nova Chassis and Running Gear, and a scratch built custom interior, a 65 AMT Craftsman SS Hardtop, and a Rat Packer. I am going to have a couple of the Trumpeter 64 and 65 Novas. I am hoping that they do a bone stock 65 Nova 100 Sedan with a  6 Cylinder. If not, I'll convert the race car. One of my neighbors friends had one when they were new. Boy, was that a cheap car. Very Spartan. Did not even have backup lights. Good fodder for a race car though.

• 5 years later...