Model Cars Magazine Forum

1979 Mercury Capri RS Turbo

echoxrayniner

God this one was one of those old Mustang based kits from Revell where they basically did a nose swap, rear swap and some new wheels, didn't really bother much with the rest but still I figured it'd be nice to build the rarely seen Capri RS. Gotta admit, it kind of went together rather poorly, either due to the kit's age or the kit being designed in a meh way(the whole interior is literally devoid of detail), but I figured I'd whip up the factory stripes and emblems for it and give it a go.

Did have to steal the louvers and the wing from a '79 Turbo Mustang kit to complete it, but alas.

20180720_175655-vi.jpg
20180720_175753-vi.jpg
20180720_180019-vi.jpg
20180720_175706-vi.jpg

Very nicely done!! I have one of these kits in the ol' stash. I drove a '85 Capri RS back in '85. It was a perk for selling a certain number of new Mercury cars in one month.

Pretty nice little factory hot rod, and I liked it better than the Mustang.

5 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

Nice model!

Is it only the photo or is there a small crack in the left rear tyre (looks like that on the first photo)?

No you're totally right, all four of the tires have it one way or another, just one sadly had it on both sides so no way to hide it. This was one of those kits with at the time radically new vinyl tires, little Firestone S/S Radials that are genuinely kinda nice - if they hadn't dried up like a prune over the years, they were left in the box outside of the plastic wrapping so they dried up and cracked like glass the moment the rim went in. And thanks!

26 minutes ago, echoxrayniner said:

No you're totally right, all four of the tires have it one way or another, just one sadly had it on both sides so no way to hide it. This was one of those kits with at the time radically new vinyl tires, little Firestone S/S Radials that are genuinely kinda nice - if they hadn't dried up like a prune over the years, they were left in the box outside of the plastic wrapping so they dried up and cracked like glass the moment the rim went in. And thanks!

Ah okay, I thought so. But neither does it affect the top quality of your build...

On 9/13/2018 at 6:36 AM, echoxrayniner said:

I remember being a kid and buying these Revell kits because they said "real rubber tires" on the box. I thought "cool, rubber tires, just like the real thing!"

Novelty wore off when those same tires dry rotted and cracked up a few years later, and nothing else fit those small rims.

I did like the Capri kit much better than their Mustang. Those flared fenders were all wrong for the Mustang and the rest of the kit was just ? anyway, so there was no reason to build one.

I am jonesing to do a conversion of a Capri body, bashed with the interior and chassis of an MPC Mustang for a nicer replica. Maybe someday.

I like yours, though. Nice job!

• 2 weeks later...