Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chaparral

TonyK

This took me years to finish as I worked on it from time to time because it was so difficult. I believe it was a Mini Exotics kit made of resin that required a lot of cleanup, sanding, and test fitting to get it somewhat right. Some white metal pieces were included and the clear plastic had to be cut to size for the windshield, spoiler, and bottom skirts.

The real car had 2 snowmobile engines to power the "sucker" ground effects. I'm a big Chaparral fan so that helped me continue to finish this model.

Chaparral_1.jpg

Chaparral_2.jpg

Chaparral_3.jpg

This is a great example, of buying a kit when you see it!  The company no longer exists, so good luck finding one.  I lucked out, and have it in my stash.  Yes, one reason I never started it, was the massive amount of cleanup required.  Did you sand the body down, because it has a leather-like texture.  Some of the white metal parts are bent from normal shipping and moving around.

Awesome to see one built!  Nice job.

IMG_2646_Fotor.jpg

Fine job on a tough kit. Exceptionally clean and well-fitted.  :D

Fascinating car to see run, if you never did. On level pavement, it would do about 40 MPH with just the fans running, and other drivers hated the thing because it spit out everything it vacuumed off the track at the car following it.

Thank you for the nice comments. Kurt, so cool that you showed a picture of the original kit. I don't remember the texture of the body being that bad but the extra resin on the chassis, body and tires was a huge chore to sand down. Used a very coarse sandpaper and probably a coarse file too while sanding it out on the driveway because of the dust and nasty smell of that old resin mixture they used back then. I recall the instructions are a bit vague too.

I've built quite a few resin kits from different companies and have some more to do and it's always a challenging  experience dealing with these.