Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1969 Mustang Boss 302............My take with pics!

MrObsessive

5 minutes ago, rickcaps55 said:

WoW ! WoW ! the awesome thing I see in this kit is that after all these years

That's the BIG thing that jumped out at me besides the VERY accurate front end...........those tires! Yeah, it would be great if Revell jumped into that market of selling those tires (along with their tampo printed redlines) in parts packs.

I'm sure a number of these kits will sell big time alone because of FINALLY getting some decent tires and not the nameless, soulless blobs we were getting before.

I see a lot of the parts are direct from the 69 Mach 1 and 69 Shelby. It was said that it was a modified tool and not a new tool way back when. My 2 kits will be here on Monday and I can't wait to see how different the body is from the Mach 1 and the DM resin parts. I'm surprised that the Shelby roll bar is still there bat that is an easy fix. Nice to see the rear window slats! I like them and had to shave down a set from the 70 to fit the 69 body on one of my older builds.

Another great review Bill. My only objection to this kit, is like their '69 Mach 1 kit, it comes with the Shelby interior tub. Look at the console. The Shelby padding on center armrest and the switches from auxiliary lights just forward of that. Plus the mount set up for the Shelby roll bar. Not a deal breaker to me. But, I am a little disappointed. On plus side, besides the nose job, I'm glad to see Revell bring back pad printed tires back in this kit, and their new '68 Chevelle. 

Again, thanks for another great view Bill. 

4 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Another great review Bill. My only objection to this kit, is like their '69 Mach 1 kit, it comes with the Shelby interior tub. Look at the console. The Shelby padding on center armrest and the switches from auxiliary lights just forward of that. Plus the mount set up for the Shelby roll bar. Not a deal breaker to me. But, I am a little disappointed. On plus side, besides the nose job, I'm glad to see Revell bring back pad printed tires back in this kit, and their new '68 Chevelle. 

Again, thanks for another great view Bill. 

Thanks Scott! Yeah it's interesting how they handled the interior. Nothing that a Dremel/saw can't fix with a little work as far as that roll bar attaching points. Now I may be wrong, but it looks like this kit represents a Boss with the deluxe interior for '69? I'm not that well versed in this version of Mustang as far as options, but it could be it represents a Boss that was available with that-------just didn't have the higher price tag of the Shelby.

Luc, in looking at the body and also at the '69 Shelby, it looks to me like it's more a somewhat reworked Shelby body than anything.

I'd have to imagine they still have the 1/12 masters of that car and then went from there. At least that's my hope and they didn't permanently get rid of the Shelby tooling to make this as that's an excellent kit also.

52 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

Luc, in looking at the body and also at the '69 Shelby, it looks to me like it's more a somewhat reworked Shelby body than anything.

I'd have to imagine they still have the 1/12 masters of that car and then went from there. At least that's my hope and they didn't permanently get rid of the Shelby tooling to make this as that's an excellent kit also.

Bill, you don't by chance have the Mach- kit as that was the first sibling from the Shelby kit, which obviously had it's DNA taken from the Monogram '70 Mustangs.

So don't think the Shelby tool was converted, but that the Mach-1 inserts were changed or parts added....so if anyone here can do a comparison between the 302 and the Mach-1...Thanks

I don't have the Mach 1, but yeah it would make more sense that it was changed from the Mach 1 and not the Shelby. I can never remember which came first. I didn't get the Mach 1 as one glance at that front end was an instant turn off.

Never had I seen something so misshapen..........how that got past the tool makers and they thought that looked good is beyond me.

But then, we had the '58 Plymouth............. :huh:

Just now, Dave Toups said:

I haven't got the new kit yet. Has anyone tried the new nose on the old Mach I body? I was wondering if it would fit.

Dave, sans the side scoops on the Mach 1, wouldn't it be easier to change the current kit to a Mach 1? You'd have to cut the hood out, but the shaker scoop is on the tree. Still there'd be some bodywork to graft in those side scoops. Seems to me not as troublesome as putting on an entire nose section but it would be six of one, or half a dozen of the other I guess.

7 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

I don't have the Mach 1, but yeah it would make more sense that it was changed from the Mach 1 and not the Shelby. I can never remember which came first. I didn't get the Mach 1 as one glance at that front end was an instant turn off.

Shelby kit came before the Mach 1.  (1988 then 1989).  I remember building the original issues of these kits back in the day and being disappointed in the front end of the Mach 1, after comparing w/ my Dad's 1:1 '69 Mustang. 

Edited by Rob Hall

8 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

Bill, you don't by chance have the Mach- kit as that was the first sibling from the Shelby kit, which obviously had it's DNA taken from the Monogram '70 Mustangs.

So don't think the Shelby tool was converted, but that the Mach-1 inserts were changed or parts added....so if anyone here can do a comparison between the 302 and the Mach-1...Thanks

All the Revellogram 69/70 Mustangs share the same DNA that started with the 70 Boss 429 back in the early 80's. The way you can tell is all of them, including the new Boss 302, have Boss 429 shock towers. The Boss 9 cars had the shock towers moved outwards by Kar Kraft to accommodate the wide Boss engine. All other Mustangs weren't "scooped out" where the strut braces attach. See the photos below

1969-ford-mustang-boss-429-s-code-429-engine.jpg

1969-ford-mustang-boss-302-engine.jpg

4 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

Dave, sans the side scoops on the Mach 1, wouldn't it be easier to change the current kit to a Mach 1? You'd have to cut the hood out, but the shaker scoop is on the tree. Still there'd be some bodywork to graft in those side scoops. Seems to me not as troublesome as putting on an entire nose section but it would be six of one, or half a dozen of the other I guess.

Good point Bill. I'll have to check them all out when I get the new kit. I was thinking adding the side scoops would be beyond my ability. I have one of the DMold sets coming for the Mach I anyway and I'll be interested to see how it stacks up with the new Revell nose.

7 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Shelby kit came before the Mach 1.  (1988 then 1989).  I remember building the original issues of these kits back in the day and being disappointed in the front end of the Mach 1, after comparing w/ my Dad's 1:1 '69 Mustang. 

Oh Ok..........I bought that Shelby kit when it came out but didn't build it till sometime in the early '90's. As I mentioned, I don't know what happened in the board room when that Mach 1 was being tooled, but that's one of the worst front end renditions I've ever seen on any model that I can recall. Some might have some other turkeys out there they can remember. ;) 

Just now, MrObsessive said:

Oh Ok..........I bought that Shelby kit when it came out but didn't build it till sometime in the early '90's. As I mentioned, I don't know what happened in the board room when that Mach 1 was being tooled, but that's one of the worst front end renditions I've ever seen on any model that I can recall. Some might have some other turkeys out there they can remember. ;) 

Yeah, even the old underscale MPC '69 that has been reissued countless times looks a bit more accurate up front (and it has a lot of other issues).

17 minutes ago, Dave Toups said:

All the Revellogram 69/70 Mustangs share the same DNA that started with the 70 Boss 429 back in the early 80's.

One can say they share DNA because they look very alike...but...the 1969 Shelby and the 1969 Mach 1 and now the Boss 302 are 1:25th scale, and the 1970 Mach 1/Boss 302 and Boss 429 are 1:24th scale, they are constructed the same way but the '70 kits are slightly larger.

Edited by Force

1 hour ago, Force said:

One can say they share DNA because they look very alike...but...the 1969 Shelby and the 1969 Mach 1 and now the Boss 302 are 1:25th scale, and the 1970 Mach 1/Boss 302 and Boss 429 are 1:24th scale, they are constructed the same way but the '70 kits are slightly larger.

I think what he meant is that they evolved from essentially the same master that was used to create them. IIRC, the master is done in 1/12 scale (or larger....depends) and then scaled down to whatever size they need for a particular run. Monogram for years was stuck on 1/24, but when Revell took the reins, they wanted everything to be 1/25 which has been pretty much the case since the '90's.

Yes they have to be as they are pretty much the same except for the size.
The Monogram 1970 Mustang was released 1981 and the 1969 Shelby 1988, the 1969 Mustang Mach 1 in 1989, one can wonder why they did cut the tooling in two scales as they are based on the same master when the tooling is so expensive...it would have been better if they was done in one scale and could share parts that are the same.
They continued with 1:24th scale for NASCAR, Funny Car and some Pro Stock kits even after the 1986 merge of the Revell and Monogram companies.
Well this was a side note.