Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 Charger 500 from Revell kits

Sport Suburban

I finished quite a few for 2018 and I finally sat down and took photos of them. I got more finished than I originally thought I did. Even though I have a limited amount of time to build mostly because I'm playing with my 2yr old son! So I will get right into this build.

This was a stalled project that I didn't take to seriously at first. I started this 69 Charger 500 back in 2010 with a Daytona parts kit. I changed out the front fenders with the 69 Charger and roughed in the bodywork. Once that was done I started on the grill. Using a resin Modelhaus copy of the MPC 69 Charger 500. I quickly realized the bumper was not going to work. I removed the bumper from the grill and also removed the grill from the Revell bumper assembly. The 500 grill just didn't look right and was too small all by itself. It sat for awhile then I got a 68 Charger kit. I dropped the 500 into the 68 grill and it was a close fit and with some trimming it dropped right in and looked pretty good. The 68 also gave up its Dog dish wheels. Decals are a mix of Revell and the rear stripe is Fred Cady but cut up to fit the car. The last bonus was getting the new 70 Charger Revell kit and seeing the redline tires. I thought that what are they doing in a 70 kit, they should be white letter! Then I remembered I was mostly done with this build, so here they are.

69 Charger 500 a.JPG

69 Charger 500 b.JPG

69 Charger 500 c.JPG

69 Charger 500 d.JPG

69 Charger 500 f.JPG

69 Charger 500 g.JPG

2 hours ago, Classicgas said:

That is stunning. Only one little issue. The chassis should be primer with body color overspray on a factory car. Still, she's a beauty.

Thank you! I know, I just prefer the over restored look or a semi gloss black chassis.

Edited by Sport Suburban

Nicely done Charger. In fact this Charger 500 is probably my favorite version on these, the front end just looks so much better than any other versions with the hideaway headlights. Seeing this nicely done scale version is always great. The color works very well on that body and I like that wheel and tire combo the best as well. Excellent build.