Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '77 Monte Carlo SnapTite

Casey

Another of Revell's 1/25 scale SnapTite, Easy Builder, and/or Wheels of Fire snap-together style kits is this '77 Chevy Monte Carlo, offered in four (maybe more?) versions, as pictured below. Same formula as the others-- promo style, relief detail chassis, highly polished body molded in color, with a multipiece interior, resulting in a easy to assemble, yet accurate finished curbside model.

I believe the #85-1918 Revel '77 Monte Carlo Lowrider kit was the original offering in the year 2000, with a body shell molded in blue, and white interior parts:

RevellWOF77MonteCarlo.thumb.jpg.723225a3d8b345d06c41ef6a1c70d095.jpg

5c4f324d5436c_s-l1600(94).thumb.jpg.b0b67d825e688d02ac437e5709e2e156.jpg

Also the #85-1350 '77 Monte Carlo Lowrider Pro Finish kit in 2000, with a pre-painted body and graphics: 

RevellProFinish77MonteCarlo.jpg.08d9a0986ab02660a2c8196c42a1bb85.jpg

Kit #85-1933 was issued in 2006, this time with lime green body parts and large diameter wheels and low-profile tires:

Revell77MonteCarloEasyKit.jpg.e58984acb69563d24a70bd26cd4fa664.jpg

Last, kit #85-1962 from 2011, this time featuring red molded body parts and stock Chevy Rally style wheels:

REvell77MOnteCarloRed.thumb.jpg.c33b43a9fee0cabce78469a255e2a173.jpg

Here's a link to a great review and build up of the above issue: http://www.rightonreplicas.com/blog/?page_id=1259

2 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Love all of those Revell 1/25 Snap kits. I wish they'd pop some more of the 57 Chevys and 63 Vettes back out. 

Hobby Lobby still carries the 57 Chevy and hopefully Revell will bring the 63 Vettes back out soon.

Those Monte's build up nice, I have a few yet to build in the stash, gonna be doing wheel swaps though, those wheel wells are huge!

2 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Has this been reissued?

Not since 2011 AFAIK, as Casey mentioned, when it was re-issued as kit #85-1962.  In 2016 the Ollie's closeout store chain had one of its big scale model blowout sales.  In my area, the Monte Carlo kit #85-1962 was in the Ollie's sale for $7.99.  And Ollie's had stacks of them. 

I wasn't much interested in it at first.  That box art is dull and makes it look more like a toy than a model.  Then I checked the Internet and this forum, and saw what people had done with it.  That kit is excellent for a Snapper. Model Car Garage even makes a photo-etched detail set for it.

Model Roundup has the blue Low Rider version (kit ##85-1918 in Casey's post) for $22.90.  It's not hard to find at Big Auction Site, for mostly reasonably prices.  As usual, just ignore the hypesters and the VRC Crowd ("Vintage! Rare! Collectible!").

49 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

As usual, just ignore the hypesters and the VRC Crowd ("Vintage! Rare! Collectible!").

One of the more annoying things to see on eBay is exactly what you said! Drives me crazy and especially when they can't get the year or description of the car correct! :wacko:

Edited by MrObsessive
Wasn't done yet..................

Haha, funny, that this review is coming up now...

Little story... From time to time, I undertake new attempts to get my 10- (nearly 11-)year old son into modelling. He started on a Dodge Viper SRT 10 two years ago or so but never really finished it. So I thought a cool-looking Snap kit like the '77 Monte Carlo (the red one with the flames) could whet his appetite. After I received the Monte Carlo kit I ordered for him, I saw the link on rightonreplicas.com which is referred to above - and I saw what can be done with this kit. I fell in love with this kit and had a hard time convincing, no, persuading my son to "release" the kit I actually bought for him. These snap kits are pretty rare over here and the Monte Carlo one especially, otherwise I would have just ordered another one. He finally gave in to my desperation but since then is calling me childish... I probably am! :unsure:

1 hour ago, MrObsessive said:

1977-'79 T-Bird.................YES!!!

I too would love to see that generation T-Bird done in similar manner to the stock version of Revell's Monte. All though I'm not a big fan of the grille or taillights on the '79 T-Bird. I prefer the '77 or '78 better. Another one in that same vane, would be the '75 - '79 Córdoba. Preferably a '79 Córdoba 300. With popularity of these two cars at the time, why they weren't offered as model kits then or now, is beyond me. 

Edited by unclescott58

2 hours ago, Mike999 said:

It's not hard to find at Big Auction Site, for mostly reasonably prices.

This is one kit(s) which is(are) trending toward more expensive on eBay, with most recent sales of complete kits in the $30+ range. I expect that will only increase, as it seems highly unlikely this kit will be reissued, well, ever.

10 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

Magnum over Cordoba.....but I'd buy either.....

Now we are really dreaming!!! 

Yea, the Magnum would be cool too. Just not the '75 - '78 Charger. The Omni Charger of the mid-80's is more true to the Charger nameplate, than the 70's Charger Córdoba clone. A '79 Córdoba 300 or a '78, '79 Magnum would be cool with me. 

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

Fortunately there's a topic for that:

That's a polite way of saying, stick to reality... B) Which is...:

22 minutes ago, Casey said:

This is one kit(s) which is(are) trending toward more expensive on eBay, with most recent sales of complete kits in the $30+ range. I expect that will only increase, as it seems highly unlikely this kit will be reissued, well, ever.

I fully agree. Besides that I never quite got what group these kits were targeted at: kids, lazy modelers... :D To me they are an adequate way of finishing a reasonable-looking model within a short timeframe. I myself can define which additional details need/ should be added. The only real downside of most of those snap kits (the Revell ones at least) are those adhesive stickers instead of decals. That's where I need to look for replacement which isn't always that easy in Germany. MPC or AMT snap kits which I have seen carry BOTH versions (stickers AND decals) which is the right way to go IMHO. 

Anyways, some of the next models I will be building will be some of those snappers. Probably starting with the Chevelle '70 pretty soon. Looking forward to that (need to arrange for stripe decals first though)...

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Unfortunately, that seems to be true.  Here are the Revell '77 Monte Carlo's sold on eBay just this month.   Looks like there was a bidding war on a couple of them: $36.53 with 32 bids and $31.00 with 16 bids. It's still possible to grab one for less than $20, plus shipping.  But as always on eBay, timing is everything. 

Jan 6: $26.00, 6 bids
Jan 10: $34.99 Buy It Now
Jan 12: 32 bids, $36.53
Jan 14: 2 bids, $19.49
Jan 16: 3 bids, $20.50
Jan 17: 4 bids, $26.00
Jan 23: 5 bids, $16.85
Jan 25: 16 bids, $31.00

3 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Let's hope Revell will reissue........

...with better box art (well , the one aimed at its target audience and a nice , "look-what-also-can-be-built-from-this-kit" set of photos as well ) .

Oh ! And stock ( were Rallye Wheels still an option for this era of Monte Carlo ? ) wheels / tyres .