Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 275P/360M Mongrel

89AKurt

Kitbash of the classic Monogram Ferrari 275P curbside/slot-car, a 1990 reissue of the 1964 kit, and the Revell 360 Modena Spyder that is sort of a curbside since the hood did not open, but had a window over the engine.  Work In Progress

I found the 275P at a Phoenix model swap last month, then saw the Modena and it was crazy time.  Started Tax Day with a mock up, started butchering on the 18th, worked like a dog until the 3rd at Noon, just before heading up to GSL, 132 hours.  I did rush it, could have spent a couple of weeks sanding and polishing, and it would probably would have ended up in the box like a few other projects.  I just wanted something different than the typical super dooper shiny muscle car on the table.  I didn't have time to write a build document, but had this for the description:
Blasphemous and sacrilegious kitbash of a historic Ferrari race car that won Le Mans two years in a row, and another Ferrari that only has a 3586 cc 395 HP V8. Story is, this car was found in a chicken coop somewhere in Venezuela, missing the 3285cc 320 HP V12 engine and transmission, the aluminum tub was badly corroded from chicken poop. The Modena was bought at a tax auction, it was rolled by the drug dealer during a police chase. Built by a shop wanting to do a reality TV show, but never got funding because it’s just a Ferrari and not an American muscle car.

Some of these pictures were taken at Page on the way home.

IMG_0359_Fotor.jpg

IMG_0361_Fotor.jpg

IMG_0362_Fotor.jpg

IMG_0363_Fotor.jpg

IMG_0366_Fotor.jpg

IMG_0368_Fotor.jpg

IMG_0369_Fotor.jpg

IMG_0371_Fotor.jpg

IMG_0372_Fotor.jpg

IMG_0373_Fotor.jpg

IMG_0375_Fotor.jpg

IMG_0376_Fotor.jpg

IMG_0379_Fotor.jpg

IMG_0333_Fotor.jpg

IMG_0334_Fotor.jpg

IMG_0335_Fotor.jpg

IMG_0342_Fotor.jpg

• Like 1

Brilliant! And it's good to see that as well as resto-rodding it, you added an off-road capability that I'm sure the neither of the donor cars brought to the party! Seriously, it looks very much like something the Ferrari Tailor Made program delivers for squillionaire clients, and it's a concept and model to be proud of...

best,

M.

6 hours ago, afx said:

Well worth the effort but that is easy for me to say. :)

You're killing me!  :lol:

5 hours ago, Kit Basher said:

Awesome!

Thank you.

4 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

Brilliant! And it's good to see that as well as resto-rodding it, you added an off-road capability that I'm sure the neither of the donor cars brought to the party! Seriously, it looks very much like something the Ferrari Tailor Made program delivers for squillionaire clients, and it's a concept and model to be proud of...

best,

M.

Glad you like the hidden hydraulic suspension mod, which makes it go UP and not drop.  Thank you.

1 hour ago, FabbricaP said:

Turned out great. The diffuser looks surprisingly good with the 250 rear end!

I am pleased with the unintended design result.  Thanks.

27 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Great job, very nice work.

Thanks to you also!  :D

On 5/8/2019 at 10:07 AM, Funkychiken said:

I love that this freak car has a back story! Skilful build!

I've overlooked responding......  Oh good, how many stories about cars have you heard/read about, makes it fun.  Thanks.

On 5/10/2019 at 4:52 AM, ismaelg said:

Very creative. I like it! 

Thank you.

20 hours ago, dave branson said:

Great build I have been following all the way threw. Excellent job.

Thank you for saying so.

20 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Well done. Totally feasible back story. Interesting and unique concept.

Thanks.  It's based on the owner of the first Ferrari who lives in my town, he found his engine in South America.

5 hours ago, Perspective Customs said:

Blasphemous, sacrilegious and very cool.

Glad you like it!

2 hours ago, Plastheniker said:

Unusual idea, excellent execution!

Thank you!

1 hour ago, ATHU said:

I like it, cool build!!

Thank you too!  BTW: I owned a '57 4 door station wagon last century, repainted the similar green as your icon (which is the blue turquoise).  Someday project is a model of that car.

I like it..... great idea of bring the old and new together..... I really like the semi-gloss paint, but I am not so sure about the "road junk" on the front.... but having said that, this is what modeling is all about, taking car designs and making them your own.  very innovative and unique.

• 2 years later...
On 5/19/2019 at 11:37 AM, bill_67 said:

Just love the concept and execution of this build, looks like prototype ferrari may have done.

Thank you!

On 5/21/2019 at 6:28 AM, Peter Lombardo said:

I like it..... great idea of bring the old and new together..... I really like the semi-gloss paint, but I am not so sure about the "road junk" on the front.... but having said that, this is what modeling is all about, taking car designs and making them your own.  very innovative and unique.

😅 Thank you.  I do that just to annoy people like you. 😏

On 5/25/2019 at 6:29 AM, Dann Tier said:

Hey, Bud!!….this turned-out AMAZING!!!!!!  Its funny as hell that you added all the bug guts too!!!....i'm not brave enough to do that to a build yet, but its awesome!!!

Much appreciated.  Time is my problem.