Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1929 Ford Model A Roadster

David G.

I finished this one last week and finally found the proper combination of time and energy to get some photos posted.

While building  this kit, I noticed that the left front bumper bracket was higher than the right so I heated it with hot tap water and bent it fairly close to where it should be. I found out during final assembly that the misaligned bumper bracket was a symptom of a more complicated situation. The one piece fender assembly was not exactly warped. The issue was caused by what seemed to be a misalignment of the die. The fender assembly seemed to sit squarely on the table but the left front corner was higher than the right and the right rear was very slightly than the left. If I pushed the left corner of the frame up to meet the fender assembly then the left front tire came up off the table.

I ended up finding a kind of sweet spot in the middle and shimmed the right side of the bumper up to more closely match the height of the left. It ain't poifekt but iddle doo.

29_Ford_Roadster_09.thumb.jpg.59116b8f98484fcc826e5cf103238525.jpg 

And here we see the classic roadster profile.

29_Ford_Roadster_10.thumb.jpg.eed3b945af30843dcc627dd70274c518.jpg

In researching this project, every 1929 Ford Model A Roadster I saw had a step pad attached to the right rear bumper bracket. The model kit didn't provide one so I made my own- from a nail head.

29_Ford_Roadster_11.thumb.jpg.0d31e561dfc33ece1808109cc2ae1376.jpg

The color scheme on this one is taken almost directly from the box art, right down to the dark red leather seat.

29_Ford_Roadster_12.thumb.jpg.450242e8464a6eb6c5892de1d2154e81.jpg

Here's a better view of that step I cobbled together.

29_Ford_Roadster_13.thumb.jpg.e709db882573266cfdf740d784e9b0b8.jpg

Here's a photo for the promotional brochure.

29_Ford_Roadster_14.thumb.jpg.76c9f62640712d76fe8d826ecdc8a896.jpg

If cars had faces, this face would be that of a friendly, dependable dog waiting patiently and happily for whatever comes next.

29_Ford_Roadster_15.thumb.jpg.921abf4633ba92b379374472abdbbde7.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

8 hours ago, espo said:

Great looking "Stock" A. I don't often see one built this way, and that's a shame because the original is a very handsome looking car. 

Thank you David, I like to build stock whenever I can. Customs are great but it was the stock vehicle that inspired the customs

6 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

turned out really nice

Thanks Mark, I'm glad you like it.

6 hours ago, dougp said:

Very nice classic

Thank you Doug. Based on your avatar photo, you seem to be a fab of vintage Fords.

2 hours ago, peekay said:

Very nicely done!

Thank you Peter.

2 hours ago, ChrisR said:

NICE!!

Thanks Chris.

32 minutes ago, TooOld said:

Very very nice , the look of a stock '29 Roadster can't be beat !  Your color choices are poifekt , great Box Art build ! :D

Thank you Bob. I couldn't help but notice that your avatar photo. It reminds me of a model that I built a couple of years ago.

60Chevy52.thumb.jpg.8eb4f4634ae36328701881355b3daf0d.jpg

Thanks All,

David G.

On 5/26/2019 at 5:13 AM, bbowser said:

Very well done.  Your efforts to overcome the kit's problems were well worth it.

Thanks Bruce. All things considered I'm pleased with the way it came out.

On 5/26/2019 at 7:12 AM, ewetwo said:

Looks great.

Thanks David, glad you like it.

Also, I almost forgot my traditional Display Case Shot.

29_Ford_Roadster_16.thumb.jpg.bd4e4d84da16aa45d83fbd105af1416c.jpg

Thanks again to everyone for all the kind comments.

David G.

Great build of a classic kit.IIRC The reason that step pad is there and the deck lid handle is at the top of the lid is because this was a rumble seat equipped car. Without that step pad the deck lid handle was out of reach for most people. Non rumble seat cars had the handle at the bottom of the lid.

Nice to see a stock built example. Thanks for sharing.

I was delighted to open the thread and find a stock

build of a Model A!  Did not expect it at all, and I must

say this is very well done for sure!!

And I liked your analogy about the old faithful dog!

Very cool also.  Nice stuff here!!!   :)

David S.

22 hours ago, peter31a said:

Great to see a Model A Ford built up in stock format. Job well done.

Thank you Peter.

22 hours ago, misterNNL said:

Great build of a classic kit.IIRC The reason that step pad is there and the deck lid handle is at the top of the lid is because this was a rumble seat equipped car. Without that step pad the deck lid handle was out of reach for most people. Non rumble seat cars had the handle at the bottom of the lid.

Nice to see a stock built example. Thanks for sharing.

You are absolutely correct Tom. The only thing AMT missed was the bumper step which I added.

Now you have me wondering if all the roadsters had rumble seats or if having a rumble seat is what made it a roadster. 

Thank  you for your comment Tom.

20 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

Beautiful model. I have always loved the look of a stock Model A roadster

Thanks Phil, They were indeed a handsome design.

18 hours ago, mod3l Lover said:

I was delighted to open the thread and find a stock

build of a Model A!  Did not expect it at all, and I must

say this is very well done for sure!!

And I liked your analogy about the old faithful dog!

Very cool also.  Nice stuff here!!!   :)

David S.

Thank you David. I usually tend to build stock or junker, rat or post-apocalyptic wasteland style. 

Any way, I'm glad you like it and thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

David G.

The body design feature that determines if a vehicle is a roadster is the the top. If it looks like your model,with a foldable fabric top over a two seat interior and a fixed(non-folding),body colored windshield It's a roadster. That same basic size body with a steel roof with two Windows on each is a five window coupe. If there is only one side window in that steel top it's a three window coupe when you count the windshield. I hope that helps a little.

On 5/31/2019 at 5:45 AM, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

Thanks Larry.

On 5/31/2019 at 5:47 AM, misterNNL said:

The body design feature that determines if a vehicle is a roadster is the the top. If it looks like your model,with a foldable fabric top over a two seat interior and a fixed(non-folding),body colored windshield It's a roadster. That same basic size body with a steel roof with two Windows on each is a five window coupe. If there is only one side window in that steel top it's a three window coupe when you count the windshield. I hope that helps a little.

Thanks for the information Tom. I was actually wondering about the 1929 Fords in particular. It seemed that all the 1929 Ford Roadsters I found photos of on line had rumble seats. Was that the only Ford made them, or were the rumble seat roadsters largely the only ones preserved? I was just curious.

1 hour ago, BeakDoc said:

Beautifully done. Hard to go wrong with a stock A Model.

Thank you Chris, I agree. Mr. Ford did a good job on this one.

David G.

On 6/2/2019 at 1:17 PM, carrucha said:

Very nice build.  It looks good factory stock.

Thank you Hector

5 hours ago, slusher said:

Looks great! Really nice work David!

Thanks Carl

On 6/2/2019 at 12:59 PM, misterNNL said:

I believe the rumble seat was a very popular option in just about every year it was available so dealers probably ordered cars for their showrooms and lots already equipped that way.

That makes sense Tom,  it's kind of what I thought.

David G.