Model Cars Magazine Forum

Will this be the "Woodstock" of the modeling car world?

Coming in October are two once in a lifetime events that will take place on the Friday evening and Saturday evening before and after the last-ever NNL Nationals in Sylvania, OH.

Among the six participants at the original NNL Nationals in 1980, 1977 MPC National Model Car Customizing Champion Chuck Helppie has stepped forward to put together an informal banquet/buffet on Friday night with model car related speakers and presentations involving the pre-Scale Auto magazine era in the hobby (i.e. 1960's to late 1970's) as well as the formation of the NNL. He's searched out some pretty fascinating speakers with never-before-heard stories about the formative years of our hobby.

Then on Saturday night there will be a model car event in a 5,000 square foot hotel conference room, with modelers invited to show their magazine cover cars in a special section, a 1949-2019 Mercury model car reunion, and a "Ring of Honor" presentation, among other activities. Also included will be a display of some of the most historic and influential models donated to the International Model Car Museum, which are to be transported to the event location all the way from Salt Lake City, Utah.

When joined with the traditional yearly NNL Nationals event itself presented by the Cleveland Automotive Modelers Society during the day on Saturday, which with its "NNL Reunion" theme should be an event for the ages, this entire weekend could indeed be the Woodstock of the model car world.

Chuck's Friday and Saturday night plans are still coming together, but I encourage you to watch the "NNL Founders Present...." Facebook page for more details, and to register for the events when details are provided so that Chuck can make sure the facilities are prepared to handle the turnout.

For details, click on this link, which should take you to the "NNL Founders Present...." Facebook page. For those of you who like me don't do Facebook, a screen will pop up asking you to join Facebook.  Scroll down and click on "Not Now" and you should be able to view the page without signing on to Facebook.

The NNL Founders and many other modelers dating from the entire history of our hobby are looking forward to seeing you all there!   TIM

Tim is spot on saying this will be an event like no other the model car building hobby has ever seen. You will meet and can visit with some of the hobby' s best builders and see historic models on display including .magazine cover cars. Word on the street is that all the cool kids will be there!

On 8/29/2019 at 8:09 PM, misterNNL said:

Like a lot of places Toledo,Ohio can be fickle were weather is involved. I have seen everything from cold rain or snow to 90 degrees. Pack up your stuff and plan on attending. We'd be glad to see you here in the Buckeye state.

The weather is only fickle is you are: A - over 50 years old - we just qualify :) B - live in some really warm climate that is not like Ohio or Ontario or Michigan :) Other than that, my winter coat is always in the car :( 

On 8/29/2019 at 8:09 PM, misterNNL said:

Like a lot of places Toledo,Ohio can be fickle were weather is involved. I have seen everything from cold rain or snow to 90 degrees. Pack up your stuff and plan on attending. We'd be glad to see you here in the Buckeye state.

Ohio is an old indian word that translates to "crappy weather"

the weather here is like a box of chocolates, "you never know what you're gonna get"

Gonna try to make this as it seems like a once-in-a-lifetime event.

A couple of questions:

1. Is there a list of who will be there as speakers? Anyone from the model companies?

2. Will there be any How-To clinics on hobby stuff?

3. Is someone going to record or take pictures for those who can't make it?

Thanks!

On 8/29/2019 at 7:09 PM, misterNNL said:

I've seen snow on the way to the Toledo event one year, yes any weather can happen.