Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC Streaker Vette - 42 Yr Old Survivor

TooOld

Built in 1977 the only thing I remember about it is I bought it at the Kmart in Valdosta along with a spray can of Pactra 'Namel . . . no primer or clear . I have older survivors but none that were this intact when unboxed so it's the only one on my shelf .  I posted this 4 or 5 years ago but those photos are long gone and I can't edit the post (?) so here it is again . :)

00 - Box Art

Here's the condition when unboxed several years ago .

file-vi.jpg

Didn't notice before but it looks like the 42 yr old hood prop (toothpick) survived too ! :D

Edited by TooOld
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, larman said:

Great job, certainly a super build for that time period ! It is nice that it survived. I am surprised they haven't reissued this one, with all the retro stuff Round 2 is doing. I always thought the box art was so cool! 

Thanks !  They reissued the '67 Charger so maybe this one will appear one day .

17 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Nice survivor! I built that kit back when I was a kid. I've thought about buying one to take another stab at it. 

Thanks Roger , I'd like to build another one too !

16 hours ago, cobraman said:

Looks great !

Thanks Ray !

20 hours ago, larman said:

I am surprised they haven't reissued this one, with all the retro stuff Round 2 is doing. I always thought the box art was so cool! 

I'd rather see R2 spend their efforts and money on other projects. This old kit has nothing to recommend it over the commonly available Revell '67 coupe, nothing at all, except just nostalgia. The last reissue of this I built, the door lines were so eroded they were almost nonexistent--rescribing them all was absolutely mandatory. Oh wait, I guess if you wanted to build a Vette with a one-piece flip-up body like a funny car or altered, this would be a good starting point. 

23 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Pretty darn nice for a 42 year old build.

19 hours ago, Hmann68 said:

Awesome! Jeez I forgot about that kit, remember seeing it at the store when I was a kid, and thinking how cool it was. Yours sure is nice after all the years ?

Thanks guys !

Thats cool.

I have several survivors from a long time ago.. Some are my builds......some built by others. 99% of them will ever come apart to be redone .

I remember building this Vette kit and have thought about picking up another ...just for the nostalgia sake of it.

On 9/19/2019 at 9:49 AM, espo said:

Amazing condition considering the age of the build. Your model looks like it was built recently and is built to a very high standard for sure.   

Thanks David !

On 9/19/2019 at 10:51 PM, DumpyDan said:

Great save, this is that kit I remember seeing in grate 7 and loved it at first site.  But I have never owned this kit, love the box art, great build Bob

Thanks much Dan !

On 9/20/2019 at 9:39 AM, drodg said:

Cool

Thanks !

On 9/20/2019 at 1:37 PM, Ron Hamilton said:

That is a great story. Thanks for sharing.

I built one of those back in the day, and it was one of my favorite model kits. I have another unbuilt one, that I plan to do as the box art.

Thanks Ron ! I'd like to find another one , look forward to seeing yours built . :)

21 hours ago, vintagercr said:

Looks great!

Thanks Steve !

20 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Thats cool.

I have several survivors from a long time ago.. Some are my builds......some built by others. 99% of them will ever come apart to be redone .

I remember building this Vette kit and have thought about picking up another ...just for the nostalgia sake of it.

Thanks Bill !  Same here , most of my survivors will never be redone . I think nostalgia is one of the biggest reasons I build models ! :D

1 hour ago, TooOld said:

Thanks Ron ! I'd like to find another one , look forward to seeing yours built . :)

Thanks Steve !

Thanks Bill !  Same here , most of my survivors will never be redone . I think nostalgia is one of the biggest reasons I build models ! :D

Considering i dont build anything newer than maybe early70s.

You could say. Nostalgia is the only reason i build models. ?