Model Cars Magazine Forum

NNL Nationals plus.....

Howard Cohen

My weekend started Thursday as I made a few stops on the way to Toledo.
  Thursday I went to Nick's cafe for dinner (been there for ever) only to find a new speed shop opened next door and they were having a cruise. Good thing I had a camera 1f642.png?_nc_eui2=AeGjRskl1QB12YOOgXemz:) There were a few dozen neat cars and I took a few pictures.
  Friday morning I headed to Auburn, Indiana, about 85 miles away, to the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum. I spent several hours there looking at cars in this amazing place! I took a few pictures. 1f642.png?_nc_eui2=AeGjRskl1QB12YOOgXemz:)
  Friday evening there was a dinner for the NNL with about 100 people in attendance, including several Canadians. There were a few light speeches and a lot of fun. I took a few pictures 1f642.png?_nc_eui2=AeGjRskl1QB12YOOgXemz:)
  Saturday was the NNL Nationals. What started as a gathering in a garage 40 years ago ended up leading to some of the biggest model car events ever with people from many countries taking part and other NNL style events growing out of the original. The attendance was about 360 people with over 1000 models on display! Canada was well represented as my friends and I had our 'SHELL 4000' display and other models around the show. There was also a swap meet and I managed to buy a few things. I took a few pictures 1f642.png?_nc_eui2=AeGjRskl1QB12YOOgXemz:)
  Saturday evening was the final event of the weekend. Models were brought from the museum in Utah that showed the history of our hobby going back to the early 1960s with cars from Dave Shuklis and many others. There were also dozens of magazine cover cars on display, a Merc-Deuce Reunion and display from some of the other NNL organizers. I took a few pictures 1f642.png?_nc_eui2=AeGjRskl1QB12YOOgXemz:)
  Overall, a great weekend! I saw about 1500 model cars, over 150 real cars, took over 1900 photographs, talked to dozens of people, lots of old friends and a few new ones. I have been going to this NNL for about 30 years, met some amazing people in that time and saw thousands of models. It was worth every mile of driving, every minute of visiting, every photograph I took and every looney spent. If you never went to an NNL, you will never fully understand what you missed. In the meantime, get a large coffee or something and enjoy some photographs... 1f642.png?_nc_eui2=AeGjRskl1QB12YOOgXemz:)
Yours in the hobby,
Howard Cohen
https://public.fotki.com/HowardCohen/nnl-nationals-toled/

P.S. the last photograph is Tim Boyd...he was standing there waiting to take a picture but to me, it looked like he was quietly saying 'Goodbye'.....

NNL Nationals  2019 0001.JPG

NNL Nationals  2019 0020.JPG

NNL Nationals  2019 0035.JPG

NNL Nationals  2019 0063.JPG

NNL Nationals  2019 0215.JPG

NNL Nationals  2019 0245.JPG

NNL Nationals  2019 0417.JPG

NNL Nationals  2019 0517.JPG

NNL Nationals  2019 0576.JPG

NNL Nationals  2019 0928.JPG

NNL Nationals  2019 1017.JPG

NNL Nationals  2019 1039.JPG

NNL Nationals  2019 1187.JPG

NNL Nationals  2019 1245.JPG

NNL Nationals  2019 1269.JPG

NNL Nationals  2019 1335.JPG

NNL Nationals  2019 1411.JPG

NNL Nationals  2019 1480.JPG

NNL Nationals  2019 1623.JPG

NNL Nationals  2019 1627.JPG

NNL Nationals  2019 1540.JPG

NNL Nationals  2019 1578.JPG

NNL Nationals  2019 1614.JPG

NNL Nationals  2019 1956.JPG

Edited by Howard Cohen

Hi Greg - Memory lane is a great place to meet old friends and it is always there.

Other than a standing ovation for John, I don't think anything special was done. I don't think many people would remember the GLMFAA except for a few of us. I did put a photograph in my album that I had on thr display table (and I left it there). 

My photopage is always busy and I am adding stuff regularly. 

Howard

Sorry I wasn't able to make the show. :(

I literally just moved the week before and to say it's been difficult would be an understatement. I don't know who lived here before, but anything that could go wrong with the house did, chief of which was the plumbing. All the models are packed away anyway, so it would have been a real task to dig out which ones I wanted to take as I have no idea now which box they're in.

Looks like it was a great show and I had even took time off work way in advance in anticipation of going, but the moving ordeal and other difficulties were just too much.

5 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

I literally just moved the week before and to say it's been difficult would be an understatement. I don't know who lived here before, but anything that could go wrong with the house did, chief of which was the plumbing. All the models are packed away anyway, so it would have been a real task to dig out which ones I wanted to take as I have no idea now which box they're in.

Looks like it was a great show and I had even took time off work way in advance in anticipation of going, but the moving ordeal and other difficulties were just too much.

Sorry, we missed you, Bill.  Somehow I feel you were there in spirit if not in fact.  Good Luck with the new housing arrangements....TIM 

8 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Bill - you were one of the 3 people that I really missed seeing at the show. I hope the house works out (been there, hated that) and you get back to modelling soon. 

Guys....I remember the GLMFAA very well.  Their club participation and support was a real boost to the NNL Nats, particularly during the first decade of the event.  For those that were not there back in the day, the GLMFAA display often comprised nearly a quarter of more of the entire table space.  Great memories....TIM .  

Thanks Howard!  It was good to see you as always!

And it was great meeting Rob Hall face to face!  I've known him at least a dozen years on line, so it was nice to meet him in the flesh!

It was wonderful how many people came to this event from far and wide.  I met many people for the first time, and missed others, only realizing they were there in going through the photographs of the models!  It truly was a magical weekend!   Bittersweet, as it was the last time!

On 10/13/2019 at 11:36 PM, GLMFAA1 said:

Thank you for the trip down memory lane,  Was there any appreciation to John Carlisle for him providing space for the NNL and years ago the GLMFAA club to display during the Toy Fair?

There was no public show of appreciation but he was more than thanked in private.   It was a very symbiotic relationship with both the NNL & The Toy Fair benefiting .  As far as providing space, I want to make it clear we paid John  Carlisle rent all those years for the space we used.  First at the Lucas County Rec Center & then at the Sylvania Exhibition Center..

Howard keep in touch with the 'buckeyes'

greg

Edited by jas1957

I apologize as I was part of the GLMFAA group that at first displayed in the vending area under Herb Jackson and later was given space by John to display. In the club house we had other displayers as group 25, a NASCAR, and a military displayer. Had no idea he charged you I should have known since you charged admission.

greg

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:36 PM, GLMFAA1 said:

Thank you for the trip down memory lane,  Was there any appreciation to John Carlisle for him providing space for the NNL and years ago the GLMFAA club to display during the Toy Fair?

Howard keep in touch with the 'buckeyes'

greg

The space for all of the NNL events was always paid for by the sponsor club running the event,not donated by Mr.Carlisle.

42 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

The space for all of the NNL events was always paid for by the sponsor club running the event,not donated by Mr.Carlisle.

There were people who had come to the John Carlisle swap meet and had no idea what historic event they had stumbled upon.  It was interesting to hear some of the comments. One guy was telling another,  "They want $10 just to look at their dam model cars!"   Both seemed outraged.  And of course they had no idea of the event nor that the best models in the country as well as 40 years of historic models were there.  And somehow I don't believe they would have appreciated seeing them either!

4 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

There were people who had come to the John Carlisle swap meet and had no idea what historic event they had stumbled upon.  It was interesting to hear some of the comments. One guy was telling another,  "They want $10 just to look at their dam model cars!"   Both seemed outraged.  And of course they had no idea of the event nor that the best models in the country as well as 40 years of historic models were there.  And somehow I don't believe they would have appreciated seeing them either!

I would agree Tom. It's an NNL thing and they just don't understand !! We're better off that they didn't come in an spread their negative attitude around. The most talented and creative people in our hobby were either there or their work was remembered and represented. We've been doing this for 40 years and I still get all fired up seeing all that world class work and inspiration on display.

3 hours ago, misterNNL said:

I would agree Tom. It's an NNL thing and they just don't understand !! We're better off that they didn't come in an spread their negative attitude around. The most talented and creative people in our hobby were either there or their work was remembered and represented. We've been doing this for 40 years and I still get all fired up seeing all that world class work and inspiration on display.

Agreed!  Thank you very much for the many years of NNL.  It is a special thing! We hope to do it proud by continuing the tradition as best we can!

Sometimes, you can tell who understands the hobby, and who doesn't. When people are cruising the display, or contest tables, if they try to pick up or touch a model, in my opinion, they do NOT understand the hobby. I've seen small children following parents around with their hands behind their backs. Those kids understand the hobby, in my way of thinking!

Of all the NNL shows I've been to, I've only heard of, or seen one incident, and that was when a builder placed very highly with an extremely nice model, only to not be able to find it when it was time to pack up and go home. 

That was a shame!!

I have always enjoyed the concept of NNL, and appreciate all the hard work the people have put into each and every show, no matter where they take place.