Model Cars Magazine Forum

MENG 1/12 GT40 Mark II ??

vamach1

My dealer is going to be less than $350 on these when they come in. Can we post links to dealers?

He's mail order so you'd have shipping too.  I'm out at that price, but look forward to seeing what you guys build.  

Edit: there is a link to another seller, so my guy is Wes's Model Car Corner on Facebook.  $339 plus shipping, limited quantities.   Wes had a brick & mortar many years ago.  Stand up guy.

Edited by randyc

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

I'm thinking it looks to toyish like ,I'll stick with my Trumpeter kit thank you .

That is exactly what I tough too.  Even ignoring the mold-separation lines, those are clunky, toyish, and thick looking parts.  For example the gear-shift gate too thick. And parts which to me should be rounded, have squared off edges. And those grooved brake disks?  If that was a real car, those would have been replaced!  It sort of has that die-cast-with plastic parts quality. Meng makes excellent armor models, what happened here?

Looks pretty similar to the Magnifier (Trumpeter) kit I'm in the middle of building right now. A few things I've noticed, my kit is missing the larger gurney flap and the strakes on the front hood. There's a small up turn, but nothing like the real car or the photos of the meng kit. Magnifier doesn't have the spare tire. The Meng seat texture looks much better with the leather ripples and criss-cross and depressed aluminum ducts. Dash looks very slightly more detailed with the swtches. The pedals and shifter also look different but I couldn't tell you if one is more accurate that the other.

The Meng front fenders look a bit larger/taller/fuller. Almost too big compared to the original:

1319794977_gtvsmeng1.JPG.5f012c7c07f40d82fa88f8f7bbeda0af.JPG

And the rear looks a little flat, but this is a slightly different angle:

846323676_gtvsmeng2.JPG.4540ee390ae299c48e230b3c82775ef2.JPG

Looks like all the hoses are black tube or plastic in the Meng kit. Mine came with AN fitting parts and "woven thread" that you're supposed to paint silver to look like braided line. I went with aftermarket braided line from detail master instead which you could easily substitute on the Meng kit too. I only see two of the gold reservoirs behind the firewall above, Magnifier has 5. Also, Meng looks like a lot of screws in the suspension which I don't think I like. The only screws in the Magnifier suspension are hidden behind the center caps and hold rear wheels to the hub.

I'd post a few pics, but I don't want to thread-jack. Perhaps I'll post a WIP thread and link it here.

*edit, here is the link:

Edited by himynameisgreg1
add link

On 11/10/2020 at 8:11 PM, himynameisgreg1 said:

Looks pretty similar to the Magnifier (Trumpeter) kit I'm in the middle of building right now. A few things I've noticed, my kit is missing the larger gurney flap and the strakes on the front hood. There's a small up turn, but nothing like the real car or the photos of the meng kit. Magnifier doesn't have the spare tire. The Meng seat texture looks much better with the leather ripples and criss-cross and depressed aluminum ducts. Dash looks very slightly more detailed with the swtches. The pedals and shifter also look different but I couldn't tell you if one is more accurate that the other.

The Meng front fenders look a bit larger/taller/fuller. Almost too big compared to the original:

Looks like all the hoses are black tube or plastic in the Meng kit. Mine came with AN fitting parts and "woven thread" that you're supposed to paint silver to look like braided line. I went with aftermarket braided line from detail master instead which you could easily substitute on the Meng kit too. I only see two of the gold reservoirs behind the firewall above, Magnifier has 5. Also, Meng looks like a lot of screws in the suspension which I don't think I like. The only screws in the Magnifier suspension are hidden behind the center caps and hold rear wheels to the hub.

I'd post a few pics, but I don't want to thread-jack. Perhaps I'll post a WIP thread and link it here.

*edit, here is the link:

On 11/10/2020 at 8:11 PM, himynameisgreg1 said:

*edit, here is the link:

The black car is not an actual MK II but has a MK I nose. The tall front fenders are correct for a MK II in 1966.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

So back when this kit was announced it was supposed to be Pre-Colored.  They then released a molded in white (RS-002) version first.  This morning Meng showed the box art for the Pre-Colored (RS-001) version.  Unlikely to move anyone around here, but news none the less.

136809167_3669655696481061_141241318955659077_o.jpg.19825b2ef9732ee2bb54d10ee1e18717.jpg

Trumpeter front headlights look better, too...Meng's are very flat.

They each have tradeoffs, fit and finish appears better on Meng, rear hatch openings better on Meng, but Trump/Mag has better wheels, headlights, ride height, overall shape.  Initial much higher price for Meng's a big turnoff.  I have everything on order for a Trump/Mag, for whenever I have time to build it.

2 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

Well, I imagine part of the reason the Meng kit is more expensive is that they paid Ford the license fee they are owed, and “Magnifier” didn’t...

best,

M.

The Magnifier kit was also not really supposed to be distributed outside of the Chinese market either, but nothing is local in the era of instant global commerce.

Agreed, but it doesn't exactly encourage Meng (a Chinese manufacturer themselves) to behave in the "right"way in global commerce, does it? As long as Meng has been around (and they started in armour, but have also made some fantastic airplanes and their own "Toon" series of armour and ships), they've played by the same rules as Tamiya or Hasegawa, and all credit to them for that...

best,

M.