Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hot Wheels

CabDriver

Have we got any Hot Wheels collectors here?  I never really took much notice of them until this year when they released their red and blue Miatas - but I had been watching out for one of these this last couple of months since I realised it doubles as a bottle opener!

8019F804-4E73-4FDE-87F8-821C31054014.thumb.jpeg.e7b3ea10eead5f413ef80608214e9a89.jpeg6B5BD7F0-16FD-4E61-B9C6-5C43B41CC915.thumb.jpeg.3cccbbca27981b860a53e277f60da8f8.jpeg

I meet my wife at the station every evening after work and we usually hit the Target across the street and I keep finding more and more of these following me home lately ?

I have been a HW collector off and on all my life.   Lately though, it is Auto World, Johnny Lightning, and the like.   the more realistically detailed cars.   M2s are nice as well.   HW is just a little too cartoonish for my tastes, plus they are hot rods mostly, the exact thing that makes them so fun.  At this point, I like realism over fantasy hot rods, so the other brands are my preference.  But I can easily put my paws on around 1000 HW at home.   And around 40 in my office.  They are very easy to collect.  

I have 3 BMW 3.0 racers in my office and one at home.   2 BMW 2002s on my desk, too.   They do those pretty nice.  I have a bunch of flamed cars displayed on a lilttle shelf over the toilet in the bathroom at home.   Gives guys something to look at...

I've got a few diecast in 1/64  in various brands.  Last count was over 2,000 and 95% of them are Mustangs, GT40, Panteras and Cobra.  The rest are various Fords, some tv & movie cars and 66-70 T/A race cars.  Pretty much impossible to post pictures of them all.  Here are about 1/2 of the GT40s.

IMG_6250.JPG

Edited by vamach1

I was a Hot Wheels guy from the very first set!  I remember in 1967 I was in the Boy Scout's Pinewood Derby and asked my father why we didn't have a track like that for my Matchbox cars.  Next thing I knew there it was with the famous orange track!  I was hooked.  I try not to buy many today and concentrate on my models.

I also remember the cars in cereal boxes.  I was an army brat and we got our groceries in the commissary on post when we lived in Germany.  You know how when you get a box of cereal the expiration date is like two years in the future?  Well, that's about when we'd get it, shipped slow boat by Uncle Sam.  And  the cars were a year or two old by then too! 

I remember cereal premiums.   One of them was like a 69 Mustang or something.  I cherished that car enough to remember something about it now.   And wanting to get all four colors.  And having to either dive an arm in the box or dump it all in to a big bowl to get the car as soon as we got home with the cereal.  I was fine with the arm. Adults were not as keen on that idea.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2019 at 8:21 AM, randyc said:

I remember cereal premiums.   One of them was like a 69 Mustang or something.  I cherished that car enough to remember something about it now.   And wanting to get all four colors.  And having to either dive an arm in the box or dump it all in to a big bowl to get the car as soon as we got home with the cereal.  I was fine with the arm. Adults were not as keen on that idea.

My mother expected me to eat the cereal level down in the box until the car appeared!  I didn't have the patience for that.  First time she turned her back, my arm went in the box!

4 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I’d pay that, sure!  What car IS that on the flag anyway?  It’s cool!

That's a Zowee "Covered Draggin" 

They were smaller than regular Hot Wheels ,, about 1/2 the size and very simple construction, usually just a metal main chassis with wheels and a plastic detail part or two.

Zowees-barra.jpg

Here's a link to some info.

https://www.hobbydb.com/marketplaces/hobbydb/subjects/zowees-series

On November 12, 2019 at 5:35 AM, CabDriver said:

Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t see that thread from seven years ago where none of the pictures work ?

There are a few here that don't like it when you don't use the search function which can lead to pages of useless dribble that doesn't necessarily answer your question. At any rate I have a number of Hot Wheels and other die casts. Look a couple threads down for my Maverick  Hot Wheels that I took apart and rebuilt.

Edited by Classicgas

On 11/13/2019 at 8:21 AM, randyc said:

I remember them. They were in either General Mills or Post cereals, something I didn't normally eat, but I ate a lot of whatever it was to get those. 

There were 1966 Mustangs. All three body styles, in three colors--red, pale yellow, and sky blue. I tried to collect all 9 but don't think I ever made it. I remember being disappointed on SEVERAL occasions by YET ANOTHER sky blue convertible, when I was trying to get a fastback.:angry: These were remarkably accurate and detailed for their small size, ruined only by their blobby white wheels. 

The next year they did Cougars. These were also very accurate and detailed, and now the wheels were black and more detailed (with wheel covers molded in), but a bit undersized. 

Edited by Snake45