Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 Oldsmobile 442 (non-W 30)

Tommy124

Hi there,

I got this one finished recently. Mostly built box-stock apart from some smaller changes like the vinyl top applications and the antenna. The air filter has been modified in order to match the non-W 30 configuration. Fireball decals have been applied to the kit's tyres and the engine has been wired. And yes, the awful kit's steering wheel has been replaced with one from a Revell '69 Camaro kit...

IMG_0430.thumb.JPG.29ba3c9a9b0e77c674ca3980743950e4.JPG

IMG_0431.thumb.JPG.c49c33936faaef12fce1a20701287a4b.JPG

IMG_0424.thumb.JPG.f67ec3c140c004fff3bdae92812cd1f7.JPG

IMG_0425.thumb.JPG.f53cfc990bd6e01862431483cd912940.JPG

IMG_0410.thumb.JPG.87adb682d443472a5332a0b68ba64f94.JPG

IMG_0421.thumb.JPG.152fb4014f3dd6868ffeed730532f8d1.JPG

IMG_0432.thumb.JPG.e9609e5f4e3b44bab960a5fc37089e88.JPG

IMG_0419.thumb.JPG.ca7b291ed1f9bc0535d9d324a79f2dc2.JPG

Edited by Tommy124

7 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Looks nice! But, the vinyl top trim on the C pillar should be much lower. Google a photo and you'll see what I mean.

Agreed.

The model looks really nice, but Roger is correct on this.

The trim should begin a few scale inches below the apex of the rear quarter window and run straight back around the c-pillar and into the lower rear window trim.

image.thumb.jpeg.e15150cef99763cb567a720110f20bd0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.684a747a6d4b4c1bc9a03047c068c8ed.jpeg

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Thanks to you all for your feedback.

18 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

The trim should begin a few scale inches below the apex of the rear quarter window and run straight back around the c-pillar and into the lower rear window trim.

To be honest, I have absolutely NO IDEA how this "blackout" could happen. As usual I picked some google photos to show me the way to go. It might be that by mistake I looked at a later vintage car ('71 maybe), those do not have a fully straight trim but a little curve in it, to follow along with fender's contour probably. However, it's a mystery to me why I placed the trim that high, by the time of the build I could have sworn it was correct, especially as doing it correctly (and straight) would have been a lot easier too. Very annoying, I must say, to have done such a bad job on an important detail. 

However I truly appreciate the objective criticism!

4 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

Thanks to you all for your feedback.

To be honest, I have absolutely NO IDEA how this "blackout" could happen. As usual I picked some google photos to show me the way to go. It might be that by mistake I looked at a later vintage car ('71 maybe), those do not have a fully straight trim but a little curve in it, to follow along with fender's contour probably. However, it's a mystery to me why I placed the trim that high, by the time of the build I could have sworn it was correct, especially as doing it correctly (and straight) would have been a lot easier too. Very annoying, I must say, to have done such a bad job on an important detail. 

However I truly appreciate the objective criticism!

I get it Thomas.

Sometimes these things can just completely elude a person until it's too late.

Nobody is perfect and we all learn as we go.

I mean absolutely no disrespect in mentioning this.

I find it exceedingly helpful when issues such as this are brought to my attention on my builds.

All of the "atta boys" in the world are not going to help prevent making the same mistake on the next project.

That said, other than the fore mentioned over sight, the model looks great!

I'm still contemplating whether I want to go with the black and white interior in my '68, or possibly something to stay a little more in tune with the "Cinnamon Bronze" paint, like a saddle interior.

Still have a little time to think about it.

Nice work Thomas!!

Steve

23 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I get it Thomas.

Sometimes these things can just completely elude a person until it's too late.

Nobody is perfect and we all learn as we go.

I mean absolutely no disrespect in mentioning this.

I find it exceedingly helpful when issues such as this are brought to my attention on my builds.

All of the "atta boys" in the world are not going to help prevent making the same mistake on the next project.

That said, other than the fore mentioned over sight, the model looks great!

No worries Steve! I'm not taking this the wrong way and I fully agree with your attitude on what it takes to improve. 

And thanks to you and the other guys for your compliments.

@drodg: I use a very small amount of spray glue which I apply before the first primer coat. Marcos Cruz shared this method on this forum some time ago, my first try was on the '68 Firebird resto I did earlier this year. It basically worked  from the get-go, even though I had to learn about how to properly mask the vinyl top and which styrene strips to use for making the trims and seams. You will find the thread here, it is also including some WIP pictures and the link to the Marcos Cruz tutorial.

On 11/29/2019 at 10:59 PM, Nazz said:

Good looking Olds Tommy! What color and type of paint did you use. It's the perfect shade for one I'm thinking of building.

Thanks Jerry! The color is is Tamiya TS 54 spray on light grey Tamiya primer. I once used that blue color before on WHITE primer and it came out as a totally different result.