Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 32 Ford 2 door sedan

junkyardjeff

I am really curious to see how this comes out. Considering the relative availability of the Revell ‘32 Sedan and the very reasonable prices it could be found for, I really don’t understand why would anyone invest the effort in building this. This is why I’m dying to see if anyone can create a decent model from this dog of a model. 

This. Being around for ages now. Usually can be found online for less than what a new kit goes for ourdays. Two choices of wheels, two choices of engine (a small block Ford and a nice flathead). The most accurate ‘32 frame made to date in 1:25. Easily converted to from Tudor sedan to Sedan Delivery. Can be build with or without fenders. 
    My comment was complimentary to your efforts. It doesn’t change the fact that the kit is a joke. I, for example, don’t have the patience or skill to make that kit  look good. Or rather, I don’t think it’s worth the time or effort, when there is a so much better kit that you can start with, available at pretty much the same price. 

75EC65DD-DA08-4A11-9B58-1FA958D3BD8D.jpeg

Two great reasons right there!  I did the Sedan Delivery about 200 years ago and used an AMT 32 gas tank - I at the time I thought it looked OK.  The fact that the inside edge of the rear fenders is a bit abbreviated means that they require a bit of work first.  If you can get a look at any other AMT, Revell or Monogram Deuce models, maybe  a friend has one, you would get a clear idea of what is required to fix the old MPC model.

Another thought, if you could get hold of some high density plastic foam or a tight grained wood like jelutong,  it would be a relatively straight forward operation to carve a new tank.  You could simply use balsa but I would recommend a generous coat of automotive body putty over the whole unit that you could sand down to size and contour.  Otherwise you will send forever trying to seal and smooth the very open grain inherent with balsa.

Hope that helps

Alan

19 hours ago, mrm said:

This. Being around for ages now. Usually can be found online for less than what a new kit goes for ourdays. Two choices of wheels, two choices of engine (a small block Ford and a nice flathead). The most accurate ‘32 frame made to date in 1:25. Easily converted to from Tudor sedan to Sedan Delivery. Can be build with or without fenders. 
    My comment was complimentary to your efforts. It doesn’t change the fact that the kit is a joke. I, for example, don’t have the patience or skill to make that kit  look good. Or rather, I don’t think it’s worth the time or effort, when there is a so much better kit that you can start with, available at pretty much the same price. 

75EC65DD-DA08-4A11-9B58-1FA958D3BD8D.jpeg

Yes that kit is a joke but I am going to see if I can make something out of it.

• 1 month later...
On 11/25/2019 at 7:12 PM, mrm said:

I really don’t understand why would anyone invest the effort in building this. This is why I’m dying to see if anyone can create a decent model from this dog of a model. 

Because he had it, it is a challenge, and any good builder can make something from a dog kit. I love seeing what I can do with them.

Keep going Jeff, looking good

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2020 at 1:36 AM, Sledsel said:

Because he had it, it is a challenge, and any good builder can make something from a dog kit. I love seeing what I can do with them.

Keep going Jeff, looking good

Agreed. Plus, the AMT (nee MPC Switchers) kit has a stock-ish roof height, while the Revell version is mildly chopped.

Just FYI: this AMT(MPC) kit has a too-short cowl, like the rest of the MPC '32 Fords, about halfway between the really too short cowls on the original AMT '32s, and the correct-ish Revell versions.