Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

10 hours ago, GoatGuy said:

Great update Francis. I have to download the images of the engine, drop them into Photoshop and bring the image down to the size of the dime so I can truly appreciate what it looks like. I'm looking forward to more.

Dave

Thanks Dave!  Sad that I'm not living closer to your location, I would be more than happy to show you the whole thing in person!

Stay tuned, more pics soon!   Take care, Francis

On 4/5/2020 at 8:07 PM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thanks for stopping by Joe!  Cheers, Francis

Thanks Mark!  I have this end mill in my toolbox for several years and I don't recall where I bought it but you can find these on eBay or Amazon among others.  Cheers, Francis

Drill Bits Unlimited has quite a nice selection of micro end mills, mainly from the PCB industry. https://drillbitsunlimited.com

I'm late to the party.....boy did I miss a lot!

Hopefully the girl jumping out of the cake is next!

Seriously I have Sherline equipment and I'm getting it slowly on line. I appreciate your pictures. They're a good guide to get me started. If you do it again, any chance of videos? 

This is amazing.

14 hours ago, 1320 said:

Very impressive Francis! I machine a few things so I can imagine perfectly how long this must take. If you're like me though it's methodical and relaxing at the same time. Bravo!

Jim

Thanks Jimmy!  Methodical and relaxing... you couldn't have said it better, it's pure pleasure and accomplishment with every new part made!

Welcome back and take care, Francis

12 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Flawless! Keep 'er comin' Francis! Beautiful fabrication! 

Thanks Joe!  Great work on the Maverick my friend!  Take care, Francis

12 hours ago, Sugar Creek Racing said:

Drill Bits Unlimited has quite a nice selection of micro end mills, mainly from the PCB industry. https://drillbitsunlimited.com

Thanks for the info Frank!  I already bought from this company and yes, they do have a great selection.  Take care, Francis

7 hours ago, iBorg said:

I'm late to the party.....boy did I miss a lot!

Hopefully the girl jumping out of the cake is next!

Seriously I have Sherline equipment and I'm getting it slowly on line. I appreciate your pictures. They're a good guide to get me started. If you do it again, any chance of videos? 

This is amazing.

Thanks Mike!  Better late than never...  I try to be as informative as possible with some infos with every pics but I don't think that I will make videos!  It's already pretty time consuming to take all those pictures and I need to keep most of my time in this long shot project.  Don't hesitate to send me a PM if you need some help on a particular aspect of the build, I will try to answer to the best of my knowledge!

New update soon.  Take care, Francis

1 hour ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thanks Kerry!  I hope to keep doing the same impression on you with my next updates...  More pics soon!  Take care, Francis

Looking at what you’re doing I don’t think you’ll have a problem with that!! Lol 

Hello to everyone!

As I mentioned in my last update, I need to make parts for the drivetrain in order to set-up the correct position for the big HEMI in the engine bay.  I continue with the water pump and the front motor plate.  For the water pump housing, I tried to make it as close as possible to the original one but I added an electric motor instead of a standard fan to continue with the drag racing soul that I want to implant to this truck.  As usual, your comments are welcome and very appreciated so feel free to leave some!!!

Take care and happy building in your own projects,  Francis

With a 0.500’’ T6 Aluminum rod on the lathe I started the machining of the water pump housing. The first operation was to make the motor armature that will serve as anchor point when the time has come to separate the part from the rod and work on the other side (facing the timing gear housing).139_WaterPump_Housing_Progress_1.JPG.10724a783ecd3828d4da6e502334da38.JPGCloser view140_WaterPump_Housing_Progress_2.JPG.aae4bdbd6ef32d43e3224df044cc6528.JPGAfter drilling holes for the fixing bolts on the milling using the same pattern as for the front of the engine block (timing chain housing), I settled-up the chuck at 90 degrees and made the cuts to create the shape. I will slip some 0.7mm Albion tubing to emulate reinforcement for the bolts like the 1:1 water pump housing. I did used this technique for the GTX engine and it looks pretty realistic.141_WaterPump_Housing_Progress_3.JPG.07ea96f1d625538af72ed4af9e93f47b.JPGThermostat housing in progress. I made both the filler for the water pump housing and the thermostat cover at the same time so I just had to cut in the middle to get two identical parts for a perfect fit when they will be mounted face to face.142_Thermostat_Housing_Progress_1.JPG.ea1e114e568c33c64e124fd166e286f6.JPGThe filler is separated from the other side and I drilled an hole in the middle. I will insert a brass rod to fit inside the rubber hose running to the radiator.143_Thermostat_Housing_Progress_2.JPG.b20dfa3ba9e85feaadabd711d6f3357d.JPGWater pump final.144_WaterPump_Final_1.JPG.e20cb7ea2f4871b1d425fb5f94f62fd6.JPGI made the electric pump armature in brass to add more contrast.145_WaterPump_Final_2.JPG.7971a759ea7e07b26f5378678e408ffd.JPGYou can see the tiny Albion tubes that created the desired effect. I will add 4 brass bolts heads around the armature to simulate the mounting bolts.146_WaterPump_Final_3.JPG.f7bacc7e9b5d24b5875e0fd5a7fb4041.JPGUsing a 0.031’’ thick sheet of soft aluminum (K&S) I sketched the lines for the motor mount plate and I did cut partially the contour using a 0.031’’ end mill. The holes for the bolts are drilled as per the front timing chain housing with a 0.018’’ drill bit.148_Engine_Mount_Plate_Progress_1.JPG.72c2091f3ba1ea288816c9b9d255815e.JPGView of the mounting plate after some finition using 600 grit sand paper and a ScotchBrite.149_Engine_Mount_Plate_Progress_2.JPG.fdd29961e64751227e262aa3e3f4390b.JPGMachining of the motor plate anchors using a 0.375’’ aluminum rod.150_Engine_Mount_Plate_Progress_4.JPG.074cea74d4e1809dfde63b56c3a42c9e.JPGAnchors bolted on the motor plate with threaded bolts from Scale Hardware.151_Engine_Mount_Plate_Final_1.JPG.0fb3bba68058443467f67915886e0855.JPGSame part from different angle. The anchors will be bolted on the front frame using 2 bolts on each side.152_Engine_Mount_Plate_Final_2.JPG.accecceea620ddb6309192cc956c8a2e.JPGWater pump installed temporary with small pieces of wire to test fit.152b_Engine_Mount_WP_Final_1.JPG.c127b06e7a63a3dddbebd98dc4cbeb70.JPGDifferent view.152c_Engine_Mount_WP_Final_2.JPG.42643e320ff82d2752b7444d0a60a751.JPGDifferent view.152d_Engine_Mount_WP_Final_3.JPG.7fee4939db8131893f3a7d19f4d0dd64.JPGDifferent view.152e_Engine_Mount_WP_Final_4.JPG.dbb107bd106be5719f838fe0cbad6fbf.JPG

Thanks for the pictures.....I need to learn how to use my milling machine better. Your work is quite inspiring and rather amazing.

Where are you getting your tooling?

Also how are you drilling the holes and not snapping the drill bit?

6 hours ago, iBorg said:

Thanks for the pictures.....I need to learn how to use my milling machine better. Your work is quite inspiring and rather amazing.

Where are you getting your tooling?

Also how are you drilling the holes and not snapping the drill bit?

Thanks for your kind comments Mike!

I purchase most of my tooling on eBay.  I was fortunate enough to buy a small storage box full of end mills for a retired machinist few years ago so now I buy the missing sizes to expand my options.  Speaking of drills, it is not impossible to break them (the smallest of course ...) but I work slowly with small progress at a time and if I no longer see new chip around the hole, I stop and I clean the bit before resuming drilling.  The key of success is "working slowly" and listen to your equipment, you will be able to feel what happen or about to happen...

Hope it help and take care, Francis

6 hours ago, DrKerry said:

Welcome and thanks for sharing the pics for us to drool over!! ? 

You are more than welcome Kerry!  I'm still working on that thing so more update to come...  Take care, Francis

6 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

You just keep givin' 'er the ol' 1-2....JbB3Qe.gif

Thanks Joe!  You give some good shots to your Maverick too my friend!  Take care, Francis