Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

Hello everyone,

This year is a special one (an not just for good reasons) and the coronavirus has changed a lot of things in our usual habits.  I don't recall me building model cars this late in spring but because most of the activities and festivals are cancelled I might have even more time on the workbench.  This build is also a first for me in many aspects so I will continue to add some details that I never done before. 

Since I opened the interior of the bellhousing, I will try to make a convincing clutch and flywheel system, knowing that most of the parts will be barely visible.  I will make an opening in the bellhousing, kind of inspection or maintenance acces that I will leave open so some of the details will be visible from under when the model will be exposed on a display stand equipped with a mirror.  Comments and questions are welcome!

Take care, Francis

Flywheel on the rotary table191_Flywheel_Progress_1.JPG.e83e9e2efb10d648b0c326ad3baf78f8.JPG

3 parts flywheel. The gear ring is from a wristwatch that I removed the center rays (part on the left).  I machined a shoulder so the gear ring is in sandwich between both aluminum pieces.192_Flywheel_Progress_2.JPG.3861eeb8722c14d444bf3674e6923a28.JPG

Crankshaft end on the rotary table.193_CrankShaft_End_1.JPG.dc4f93e9c5578bc0378e2a0bbb687c2e.JPG

Crankshaft end final.194_CrankShaft_End_2.JPG.109c8124f6ae9f408eb2643e9776c9ff.JPG

Crankshaft end in the engine block.195_CrankShaft_End_3.JPG.86bd0fab962be2540732bbcf616e8744.JPG

Crankshaft end with flywheel in position. You can see the pillow bearing hole in the center of the crankshaft end.196_CrankShaft_Flywheel.JPG.0dee97a3d810bb0456fd477648b04748.JPG

• Like 1

Francis,

What an ingenious way to re-purpose the watch gear.  I've got a bin of those for that very purpose but never took the time or expended the patience to make it.  Your solution/method is very clever.   Nice one and it's a beautiful part.   You're going to want to do what Clay Kemp has done with some of his past builds..........display the motor and trans outside the car and with them separated each on its own stand. You can't possibly hide such details.   Cheers, Tim

12 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Francis. No words. Just beautiful! Flywheel continues the amazing work, here!

Thanks for the kind words Daniel, I'm very happy how it looks on the engine and it was fun to make too!  Take care, Francis

12 hours ago, John Teresi said:

Francis ....Oh my word....this is just stunning work ....Wow!!!!!??

Thanks John!  I am myself surprised if I managed to impress a modeler of your caliber, thank you for visiting and commenting on my work, it is very appreciated!  I can't wait to see and enjoy your next project sir!  No pressure here, I think you are a very prolific builder sir!   Take care, Francis

7 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

Oh my.  Francis, once again your update has me grinning from ear to ear.  Those small gadgets are hiding many fine parts...this is truly fun "watching".

Mike..

Thanks Mike, I enjoy the play on words!  I agree that many parts will be barely or not visible at all but I made 'em for the sake.  This build is a first for me in several aspects and a practice in some way for the next project... I do have so much fun making all these parts and I really appreciate if it can inspire or put a large grin on someone face!

By the way, have you find a reliable source for the T6 aluminum in your area?  You can check with a machine shop in your area if you haven't yet, they often have leftovers that are too small to be reused but most of the time the perfect size for our projects.   Take care, Francis

3 hours ago, Codi said:

Francis,

What an ingenious way to re-purpose the watch gear.  I've got a bin of those for that very purpose but never took the time or expended the patience to make it.  Your solution/method is very clever.   Nice one and it's a beautiful part.   You're going to want to do what Clay Kemp has done with some of his past builds..........display the motor and trans outside the car and with them separated each on its own stand. You can't possibly hide such details.   Cheers, Tim

Thanks for the compliments Tim!  I remember that you used some of those watch gears on the Henry J engine and I think that they are quite a time saver (even if they are not 100% accurate) instead of making all the teeth on the milling.  I had thought of displaying the parts outside the car but I do love to see an ultra detailed model with all its components in place like your Bantam.  I must agree that installing all these parts in the model will also be a good challenge but the final product should be interesting to watch.  It is always gratifying to see all the attention that a very detailed model commands when you open the hood to show all these parts gathered!

Even if you planned to keep the engine out of the Maverick's hood it surely a feeling that you haven't finish to feel with the quality of your builds sir..  Take care, Francis

47 minutes ago, gasser59 said:

Francis - that is outstanding.I agree with Tim about displaying your engine on a stand outside of the model. Its just too good to hide.

Thanks Brad, I do appreciate your sentiments about all these machined parts!  I'm not done yet with this thing and it could take a different twist that I hadn't envisioned at the beginning but something sure, the pictures should be always visible on the forum to see them separately!  Fortunately I didn't use Photobucket as a photo sharing option...lol   Take care, Francis

Francis, concerning the T6 aluminum, yes I have meantime several sources.  Germany is a metal country...ahem.  The stuff is almost hanging on the walls of buildings here....alongside all of the beer barrels.  Among a few other things, actually a fun place to live.  You can even buy bread and cheese nowadays, on Sundays in a drugstore.  Life is great.

Just some fun....

Mike..

20 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

Francis, concerning the T6 aluminum, yes I have meantime several sources.  Germany is a metal country...ahem.  The stuff is almost hanging on the walls of buildings here....alongside all of the beer barrels.  Among a few other things, actually a fun place to live.  You can even buy bread and cheese nowadays, on Sundays in a drugstore.  Life is great.

Just some fun....

Mike..

Hello Mike, glad to know that... so it's like living surrounded by potential aluminum model car parts... Please tell me if you know the contry where brass material is hanging on the walls, I might be interrested to move there...lol.   I'm sure that life is great in Germany... I do love beer too so there are certainly some great to taste and not only during the Oktoberfest!

Take care, Francis

5 hours ago, GoatGuy said:

Francis, I am blown away with your results and talent. Can't wait for MORE !!!

Thanks for the comments Dave!  I still have many machined parts to make but they might be produced at a slower pace during the next weeks.  I don't usually build during summer but this year is a special one (because of that virus) so we'll see if I can still progress a little bit during the nice season...

Thanks again for showing-up and take care, Francis

20 hours ago, cobraman said:

Such fantastic detail !

Thanks Ray!  It was fun to make it and I do think that the hardest part was done by the watchmaker... these old watch gears are the real definition of the word precision!  Take care, Francis

2 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

Absolutely amazing

Thanks Scott, I really do appreciate your comment!  Take care, Francis

15 hours ago, speez said:

WOW!! Your skill level is out of this world. Great job. I looked through all the pics with my mouth open, in AHH! Bonne job!

Thanks for your kind words Speez!   Maybe I'll bring it to a model car show in the Montreal area (when this thing is over of course ...) then you would be able to see it in person if you participate in this type of event.  Take care, Francis

1 hour ago, Nazz said:

So what kind of 1/4 mile times are you expecting when this truck is done Francis? LOL

Not sure yet, dyno tests will be done later but maybe 25 times slower than its 1:1 counterpart... LOL!  Take care, Francis

4 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thanks for your kind words Speez!   Maybe I'll bring it to a model car show in the Montreal area (when this thing is over of course ...) then you would be able to see it in person if you participate in this type of event.  Take care, Francis

I would love to see it in person. As for shows I like that too, (when life get back to normal) How would I find them? I never did the shows, as I never new how to find them.

On 6/6/2020 at 8:00 PM, speez said:

I would love to see it in person. As for shows I like that too, (when life get back to normal) How would I find them? I never did the shows, as I never new how to find them.

I will send you a PM about the shows in the area so check your mail box.

"Since I opened the interior of the bellhousing, I will try to make a convincing clutch and flywheel system, knowing that most of the parts will be barely visible. "

But you had the fun of making it happen. And I'm glad to you did. That (and everything thing else) is an amazing piece of work. 

12 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

"Since I opened the interior of the bellhousing, I will try to make a convincing clutch and flywheel system, knowing that most of the parts will be barely visible. "

But you had the fun of making it happen. And I'm glad to you did. That (and everything thing else) is an amazing piece of work. 

Thanks for your kind comments Scott!  I'm half way there I would say and I'm currently working on the pressure plate.  This is not the easiest part to do but I want it as convincing as possible even if it will be almost completely hidden.  I already have machined the clutch disk (the easy part) so I will try to post the pics next weekend with the completed pressure plate... I hope...?

Take care, Francis

Hello everyone!

Things going slower in this time of the season but I was still able to sat at the bench and make some progress on the D100.  Today's update is for the pressure plate and I decided to make one that looks like a 3 levers model instead of diaphragm style.  I still have some detailing to do but the main body is done and I'm pretty happy with it for my first attempt to make one.  The clutch disk is very simple with not much details since it will be mostly hidden between the flywheel and the pressure plate shell.  I also handmade the throwout lever (fork) from a soft aluminum sheet and the throwout bearing that just hold in place between the two fork fingers.  As mentioned earlier in the thread, I made an opening in the bellhousing to be able to see some of the detail on the final build.  Comments and suggestions are welcome as usual...

Take care, Francis

Pressure plate on the rotary table chuck.197_Pressure_Plate_Progress_1.JPG.ca3da2998f0d7830dcb1c0282024fae0.JPG

Pressure plate on the rotary table chuck, more detail added.198_Pressure_Plate_Progress_2.JPG.ae7f2333bf345596180015624761bef6.JPG

Pressure plate on the lathe chuck to machinate the interior side.  Delicate and stressful operation...199_Pressure_Plate_Progress_3.JPG.b24ae7e012be4157cf3d7680caa43fe3.JPG

Pressure plate shell final. Holes on the side are for the release levers.200_Pressure_Plate_Final_1.JPG.ff7e0a4a28737c97074c4160c39c4bf5.JPG

Pressure plate interior side view.201_Pressure_Plate_Final_2.JPG.8aaa8c3d761682196b54c3473d0ddff9.JPG

Clutch components with modified bellhousing. I made an opening (inspection trap) that will stay open in order to see the components on the final build.202_Clutch_Setup_Final_1.JPG.b75577166f68d19638eeb39ab64f2e01.JPG

Red anodized pressure plate. I made the throwout lever by hand using 0.031’’ soft aluminum material.  The throwout bearing will slide on the Lenco input shaft.203_Pressure_Anodized_Fork_1.JPG.6a8df12d64993e2d508ec6bcf674148b.JPG

Same parts different view. I will add the pressure plate release levers along with some detailing and will post pics as soon it's done.204_Pressure_Anodized_Fork_2.JPG.b4eaf5bb2b7b0e1abfb3c6c5a5d69ed3.JPG

• Like 1

This is just a sensational new dimension here, such a joy to view.

Even though most modelers do no milling,  the visual treat of adding real metal to our kits is a wonderful opportunity to add a new touch and a new special gleam to a styrene chassis or suspension or motor.  I'm utterly thrilled to see these parts in real metal.

Francis, I'm grinning again!  Just wonderful work.

Mike..

15 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

This is just a sensational new dimension here, such a joy to view.

Even though most modelers do no milling,  the visual treat of adding real metal to our kits is a wonderful opportunity to add a new touch and a new special gleam to a styrene chassis or suspension or motor.  I'm utterly thrilled to see these parts in real metal.

Francis, I'm grinning again!  Just wonderful work.

Mike..

Thanks Mike!  I also do think that even with the tremendous improvement of metalized paint options, it's hard to compete with parts made from real aluminum or brass.  The accuracy generated by the tooling itself (milling or lathe) is one thing but the material used bring the parts to another level in my humble opinion.

At the end, the goal is to have fun at the bench no matter the technique or the material used but I can guarantee you that I do have a lot of good time working on this project!

I have never worked on my models so late in the season but I will try to continue when the weather (bad...) allows it so I hope to keep you smiling sir...

Thanks again for your continuous support and take care of you.

Francis