Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

2 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

Yes!  Very big smile now.

Ahem, anyone can grind some aluminum to a smooth surface.  Adjust the bit accordingly,  turn the machine on and let it go.   Let the machine and bit do the work. 

Just, setting things up has difficulties to be masterfully accomplished.  Experience necessary. Do the same for the other side!  Experience needed.

Thank you for adding a color dimension to this masterpiece.  Sensational expertise visible here.  Wonderful and a joy to view.

Mike..

Thanks Mike!  For seeing what you can do with aluminum and brass I take the compliment with a lot of consideration!  Now I plan to anodize more parts (no too much however...) in order to add some life on the drive train because a lot of aluminum will be used on this build.  Take care, Francis

59 minutes ago, landman said:

Ayoye! That is superb!!!!

Thanks Pat!  It's not over yet... more parts to come!  Next part the intake manifold.  Take care, Francis

1 hour ago, CabDriver said:

Incredible stuff!  Love projects like this, and love seeing them come together!

Thanks Jim!  As long your not too impatient... this is a long term project but I'm happy that you stick with me!  Cheers, Francis

6 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

I really can't wait to see this beaut start taking on some shape Francis. 

I understand your feelings and I feel the same!  I just want to make all the main drivetrain components first so I will be able to show you later a glimpse of what the final product will look like.  I think that I might have more building weeks coming in front of me... thanks for the current pandemic situation!  I'll be back next weekend with an update of the intake manifold.

Take care, Francis

A fellow member wrote, as many do, they cannot wait to see a project finished.  I always feel saddened when a project ends.

Francis, you mentioned my "pushing 70"...yes, this is true, 10 months to go yet.  But age will let you enjoy the moment more, more than even the result.  Times change.  I just thought at this time to add perhaps an interesting observation from an older modeler.

Your updates, as well as your comments are excellent.

I will write though....man, can't wait to see the intake....lol!

Mike..

22 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

A fellow member wrote, as many do, they cannot wait to see a project finished.  I always feel saddened when a project ends.

Francis, you mentioned my "pushing 70"...yes, this is true, 10 months to go yet.  But age will let you enjoy the moment more, more than even the result.  Times change.  I just thought at this time to add perhaps an interesting observation from an older modeler.

Your updates, as well as your comments are excellent.

I will write though....man, can't wait to see the intake....lol!

Mike..

It can't be said nicer than that!  What does age mean when we can still have fun creating the toys of our childhood with our adult hands but with much more satisfaction... what a beautiful hobby! I appreciate more and more this forum everyday that enable me to be in contact with people like you Mike!!!  Take care, Francis

19 hours ago, cobraman said:

Such great workmanship! I just screwed up drilling a hole in a piece of plastic! ?

18 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Still just in absolute awe of the craftsmanship and details that you are capable of! I can barely drill holes in the kit's plastic heads and distributor for spark plug wires, LOL.

Thanks Ray and Craig!  Seem funny what you stated about your abilities to drill simple holes in plastic kits but it's not that easy in fact... that's why I do use a milling in order to keep them perfectly straight...!!!   Take care, Francis

Hello every one!

Time to add an intake manifold to feed this engine with racing fuel!!!  I'm not 100% sure about the alimentation system yet (carburetor or injected) but the base intake system will be good for both options. I need it done first anyway in order to set-up the engine height under the hood.  This is not the most difficult part to make (to me at least) but it must be straight and symmetric to fit perfectly between the engine heads.  As usual, feel free to make your comments, they are very appreciated and real fuel for my engine...lol.

Happy Easter to each of you and take care, Francis

Intake manifold base plate in the milling chuck settled at angle to fit the heads intake ports side.130_Aluminum_Intake_Progress_1.JPG.75f4ae6969517fb42eab26df28f3b4a1.JPG

Intake base plate in progress with 0.093’’ holes for aluminum connector tubes.131_Aluminum_Intake_Progress_2.JPG.beb49d5f70eba005d96fabfd414246cf.JPG

Front of base plate adjusted to heads and the engine block length.132_Aluminum_Intake_Progress_3.JPG.b48053956e3888b6c469700a66e46a08.JPG

Same part different view.133_Aluminum_Intake_Progress_4.JPG.c3e72c1baedf8efd6ded8530a6d34d07.JPG

Head bolts holes drilled using 0.016’’ drill bit along with bolt head seats using 0.031’’ end mill for bolts clearance.134_Aluminum_Intake_Progress_5.JPG.54afca1ea1b27a24b86c0eb6e5cf8507.JPG

All intakes components including base plate, connector tubes (8), intake plenum and the cover.135_Aluminum_Intake_Progress_6.JPG.3659421a9b03a0a42a702bd6e7e2a716.JPG

Intake final.136_Aluminum_Intake_Final_1.JPG.93d90ee00f9936c470cb0e8d2c5e6890.JPG

Intake final different angle.137_Aluminum_Intake_Final_2.JPG.c1d873832383478074d613e4f8cc08d2.JPG

Intake final top view. Holes for the carburetor (or injection system) to be made later.138_Aluminum_Intake_Final_3.JPG.de0f0dbc33058b7389d2d3926d8fbaf9.JPG

View between the red valve covers.  It will be detailed by adding brass bolts on the top plate.138b_Aluminum_Intake_Final_4.JPG.2442d468597213cf4d6d67aff9919528.JPG

Francis, I would like to make a suggestion here, and this time I will try to be more gentle than a few years back,  when a member here on this forum did not take my criticism very well. 

I'm sure the fellow is looking.   Funny, a few days later he changed it accordingly.

We're talking precision milling of metal here.  I have been doing small scale milling for more than 40 years,  just in a different region.

I would like to suggest to round off the sharp edges of the finished parts, for instance the manifold outer edges. A soft rubber wheel will work wonders here, and in my opinion soften up the view.

I have little knowledge of your technique, but I look at the result.  Indeed, 1:25 is very small.  Sensational work here. 

Respect.

Mike..

50 minutes ago, Mike Williams said:

Francis, I would like to make a suggestion here, and this time I will try to be more gentle than a few years back,  when a member here on this forum did not take my criticism very well. 

I'm sure the fellow is looking.   Funny, a few days later he changed it accordingly.

We're talking precision milling of metal here.  I have been doing small scale milling for more than 40 years,  just in a different region.

I would like to suggest to round off the sharp edges of the finished parts, for instance the manifold outer edges. A soft rubber wheel will work wonders here, and in my opinion soften up the view.

I have little knowledge of your technique, but I look at the result.  Indeed, 1:25 is very small.  Sensational work here. 

Respect.

Mike..

Thanks Mike!  I do have a lot of respect for you and your work so your suggestions are welcome! I must say that in my vision, I try to keep the parts as sharp as possible precisely because of the scale (parts are indeed 25 times smaller than those I'm trying to reproduce).  Also, I think that I don't give much chance to the rendering by using my Nikon Coolpix on macro setting so close to the object I'm pictured because it reveals all the swirls done by the end mill.  Sanding and polishing these parts is also challenging since I don't want to ruin a part that takes me countless hours to make (it's easier to remove material than adding some...).

One thing sure, I can't reject out of hand the good suggestions of an OUT OF THE ORDINARY modeler with that much experience!  Your are more than welcome for your input and be certain that I will take it in consideration on the next parts.

Truly yours, Francis

Hey Francis

I have been following this build! Dude how in the H, E, DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS do you fab this stuff? Drawings? Micro measurements? Reduction wheel from original schematics?,.... no idea? i can see getting one side of,... example engine head but to mirror image it,... i don't get it??!! In styrene I would have a pile of mistakes a foot high. So to machine this, where do you start??

Oh, and thanks for the kind words on my stuff! Let us not compare!! 

Western Canuck

Lorne

Thanks for your comments Lorne!

Most of my machined parts are made from reference pics and technical data found (measurements) on internet.  I can also validate my measurements from the 1/25 scale parts from any kit if it make sence.  Many 3D printed parts available right now could be good or sometime more accurate (instead of the original parts from the kits) but I do love making these by myself (it's my favorite part of the hobby) and I try to improve them on every new project.

You don't have to be embarrassed about your work because everything you make is of EXCEPTIONAL quality and cleanliness!

Eastern Habs,  Francis

1 hour ago, Lorne said:

Hey Francis

Thanks for keeping this hobby going! It's great to see a builders vision. Better yet, showing the potential !!!

Western Canuck

Hello Lorne,

Supporting this hobby is not a person's business but a collective work and I am honored that you consider me as one of them, be sure that you too are part of it like all those who support and keep it going this forum!

Eastern Habs ?