Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

20 hours ago, Codi said:

Nice pan and cover Francis.  Like everyone else, appreciate the detailed description on how you achieve each piece.  Thanks for sharing, Tim

Thanks Tim, Glad you liked the detailed descriptions I invested myself into because I started wondering if it was still relevant to do so...  Take care, Francis

18 hours ago, cobraman said:

Simply amazing work !

Thanks Ray, I really appreciate you sentiments for my build so far!   Take care, Francis

On 5/6/2020 at 9:57 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thanks Joe!  I was wondering if everything's fine for you... glad to see you back.  I will move to the fabrication of the bellhousing and the transmission.  I'm on a short vacation this week so I do have a little bit more bench time. ?

Man that'll work right there. Looking forward to seeing some more progress. 

I'm still on the Maverick although I took a small break from it after that shifter gig. I've got a much simpler 1998 Trans Am build going on over in the Model Cars WIP section right now. Had to build something I could actually make some progress on. lolol. 

20 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Man that'll work right there. Looking forward to seeing some more progress. 

I'm still on the Maverick although I took a small break from it after that shifter gig. I've got a much simpler 1998 Trans Am build going on over in the Model Cars WIP section right now. Had to build something I could actually make some progress on. lolol. 

I did check your Trans Am build Joe and it looks great!  I totally undestand that you need a break of the Maverick, this kind of project requires a lot of juice and time. It's normal to hit «the wall» a couple of times during a long term project and a short break will bring back the motivation to resume the build.  Take care, Francis

Hello everyone!

I was on a short vacation this week and the temperature was not the nicest so I had a little bit more bench time.

I'm still in the process of making all the drivetrain in order to make all the last adjustments to the chassis and the cabin floor so I went to machining the bellhousing. I wanted to make this part from brass but my inventory is very limited and I didn't have a rod big enough so I made it from T6 aluminum.  I decided to make a Lenco planetary transmission so it will be the next thing on the bench.  I hope to be able to post some pics next week, I already have the ideas how to proceed with this one.  As usual, comments and suggestions are welcome!

Take care, Francis

Beginning of the machining of the clutch bellhousing from a 0.750’’ aluminum rod.164_Bellhousing_Progress_1.JPG.612777381b89c69431a3edb662ece9d8.JPG

Machining in progress.165_Bellhousing_Progress_2.JPG.4c5f9df98b890a5deaaca077cc6d39ef.JPG

Holes drilled all around the flange matching those on the back of the engine block.165b_Bellhousing_Progress_Drill.JPG.a907bee20774d22583baa4e0bf30fb94.JPG

Starter housing roughy shaped to fit the bellhousing wall.165c_Bellhousing_Starter_Housing.JPG.92e296057b9353ebffa81042ad5e383a.JPG

Bellhousing cut to receive the starter housing pocket.165d_Bellhousing_Progress_Cut.JPG.c519358b5fe36dbf7312a5178856a750.JPG

I made the starter housing from a 0.250’’ aluminum rod and glued the part using 2 part epoxy. I went back on the lathe to shave the excess and came back to the milling to drill the bolting holes, the clutch fork opening and the hole for the clutch pedal linkage pivot.166_Bellhousing_Progress_3.JPG.edba461bb62276b3f24087e013792392.JPG

Back to the lathe to separate the part from the rod.167_Bellhousing_Progress_4.JPG.efbd31c1abbf2c2e6d0363be5ea1b713.JPG

Final part inside view.168_Bellhousing_Progress_5.JPG.9d7d8ea566313c1225cb25df1876452f.JPG

Final part outside view.169_Bellhousing_Progress_6.JPG.097eaf2d17456ab18459f3330807f57d.JPG

5 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Excellent work, Francis! It is satisfying to watch a craftsman at work. Your work is inspirational. Thanks for sharing it, with us!

Thanks for your sentiments Daniel, I really appreciate it!  Take care, Francis

5 hours ago, thatz4u said:

yeah, times 10

Thanks for the comment Al!  Take care, Francis

Hello guys,

I had some extra time on the workbench and the temperature is simply is horrible here (endless winter...) so I started the build of the transmission.  There are some very nice resin or 3D printed version available on the market (Futurattraction or Shapeways come to mind) but I always wanted to make one from aluminum so I give it a try.   The first part is the mounting plate, I added the picture of the real one that I will try to reproduce.  Comments and suggestions are welcome as usual and very appreciated!

Take care, Francis

The target.

Lenco_2.png.74cfdb63a31fe3abfbb3b2f0c0522f50.png

Beginning of the machining of the mounting plate for the Lenco transmission.170_Lenco_Mount_Plate_Progress_1.JPG.55bb81f3188f64cc1b5d2c00fbce6310.JPG

The mounting plate will be bolted on the bellhousing using 6 brass bolts from Scale Hardware.171_Lenco_Mount_Plate_Final_1.JPG.b43e202f8a0165e4cc7e03e2843e6310.JPG

Mounting plate and the bellhousing side by side.172_Lenco_Mount_Plate_Final_2.JPG.95c406b8826754db924dc96f3f7eb37c.JPG

7 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

Wow it gets more amazing everytime i look. 

Thanks Scott!  I really appreciate your comments!  Nice new profile pics by the way!  Take care, Francis

4 hours ago, Codi said:

Nice can Francis........I like the way you machined it too.   You're really chugging along now with it.   Keep her going, love the updates.  cheers

Thanks for the kind words Tim! I would have preferred to make the bellhousing with brass and welded both parts together but I will have to increase my inventory with bigger rod stock

Take care, Francis

23 hours ago, cobraman said:

Better and better !

Thank you so much Ray!  The Lenco transmission will be another nice challenge!  Take care, Francis

21 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Beautiful work, Francis! That clutch can is fantastic! I'm loving this project, sir.

Thanks for your constant support Daniel, I really appreciate it!  Take care, Francis

Hello everyone!

I started the machining of the Lenco planetary gear cases and I will make a 3 speed version like the real one that I posted a pics in my previous thread.  I found various picture of the transmission and the flanges was different and has evolved over the years.  I decided to make them like the newer version even if the shape is more difficult to make than the older version (plain round flange).  Furthermore, I will make the manual shift version (not the air-shift one) so I will try to make all the shifter components including the mount.  This is my first ever all aluminum machined transmission so I hope you will like it... at least what I have made so far.  A lot of fun in perspective...

Take care, Francis

Beginning of the Lenco transmission machining. This is the reverser case (last module where the output shaft show-up).173_Lenco_Trans_Progress_1.JPG.64f93421fe73bbaf66c656f9d89fee74.JPG

One of the 3 planetary gear cases in progress. The 4 transversal grooves at 90 degrees will be for the side reinforcement ribs.174_Lenco_Trans_Progress_2.JPG.f877e15b388e8e39c85076c97abcf0ec.JPG

Connecting plates (flanges) in progress.175_Lenco_Trans_Progress_3.JPG.25a9aee96aa42ab1089feb1da5287bb2.JPG

All 3 gear cases in progress with holes drilled for the nipples (shifter modules), side mounting support and drain/fill oil plugs.176_Lenco_Trans_Progress_4.JPG.51bcc82622672cf691d50b5a77cca84f.JPG

Reverser case on the milling in order to drill the bolt holes and shifter module.177_Lenco_Trans_Progress_5.JPG.1b2ebf761796817e2e0ed3b1dab44009.JPG

Reverser case details engraved using a 0.020’’ ball nose end mill.178_Lenco_Trans_Progress_6.JPG.53d319a98ec362f08b715495796892c3.JPG

2 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Love it! Love it! Love it!! Can't get enough of this build Francis.

Glad you can't get enough of this build Joe, still a long way to go but I will try to finish that Lenco trans and the shifter in the next days!  Thank buddy for your continuous support!!!

Just now, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Glad you can't get enough of this build Joe, still a long way to go but I will try to finish that Lenco trans and the shifter in the next days!  Thank buddy for your continuous support!!!

It's like a good book that you just can't put down Francis. Looking forward to the next update already.

6 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

It's like a good book that you just can't put down Francis. Looking forward to the next update already.

42 minutes ago, Nazz said:

I can't wait to see how this book ends. A real page turner! Certainly enjoying the ride. Francis, simply amazing.

Thanks Joe and Jerry!  I like the analogy with the book, although I'm not a big reader but I think that an happy ending would be good!  Take care, Francis

Hello everyone!

Another small update on the Lenco transmission build, I was able to mostly complete the details on the gear cases and I decided to use a brass rod to mimic the input/output shaft.  Still some work to do but almost there so I will move to the shifter and make the final adjustment later.  Sorry if most of the parts made so far are not finally assembled but I need to spend most of my free time on the milling and the lathe before the summer comes around.  Thanks for looking, comments are welcome!

Take care, Francis

Output shaft splines engraved using the corner of a standard 0.032'' end mill.179_Lenco_Output_Shaft.JPG.f16ac5126847afa93d356e14322a1a5d.JPG

Nipples (refer as shifter modules) drilled with a 0.016’’ drill bit for the pivot pin and slotted using a 0.020’’ end mill.180_Lenco_Nipple_Progress_1.JPG.751babaceca00ef3d8d22ba224bedf6a.JPG

Main components in progress.181_Lenco_Main_Parts_1.JPG.cb2677ccf40300c4ac0706bfa3daac6d.JPG

12 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

Truly exquisite. Seeing the metal parts come together in this fashion gives me lots of incentive and drive to be at the bench.  This is a good thing, and a great model is being shown here.  Wonderful work Francis.

Thanks for the kind words Mike!   I may not always work in a conventional way to make my pieces but the goal is to achieve its ends and find satisfaction!   In all modesty, I am very proud if my work can inspire a model maker of your caliber.  Take care, Francis