Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

19 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

This project gets even more Amazing every time I look at it! Those hood hinges are incredible! I don’t think that I will be able to have anything like that on my D800. 😀

It is a pleasure to what this one come together!!

Thanks for your kind words Brian,  I'm not out of the woods yet, I still have some intricate details to make but with patience I will eventually reach the finish line, but maybe not without after-effects...  I am so happy to see a family member being built in the Big Rig category and I am sure you will bring out the full potential of this resin kit, you always do! 👍

Francis

8 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

I'm sure this going to be stunning in paint, but I like seeing all that clean scratchbuilding.

Thanks Scott,  It would be interesting to keep it bare so you can see it with all its scars and welds at the end but I also think a nice shiny paint will be welcome.  I just ordered the paint last night and I hope to be able to take this step in the next few weeks.   I hope you will also take this step soon with your superb Hot Rod Peterbilt my friend!

Francis

5 hours ago, John Verkerk said:

I don't know how guys like you do it ,soo!! much detail!! just blows me away!! excellent work!!!

Thanks for the comments John,  I'm just driven by passion for this hobby (and the subject of course...) and this forum is just a perfect place to share and learn, an endless source of motivation!

Francis

5 hours ago, John Verkerk said:

I don't know how guys like you do it ,soo!! much detail!! just blows me away!! excellent work!!!

I know how. Better eyesight than me...better dexterity than me...more determination than me...and Waaaay more patience!

6 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

It would be interesting to keep it bare so you can see it with all its scars and welds at the end but I also think a nice shiny paint will be welcome.  I just ordered the paint last night and I hope to be able to take this step in the next few weeks.

Francis

You are doing an absolutely fantastic job on this Francis! No doubt the paint will hide some construction detail, but the beauty it will add I’m sure will be amazing.

Hello everyone!

I'm still working on the final details of the body and frame, but I need to determine the exact final position of the engine/transmission combo in order to fabricate the clutch/pivot system.  I did a lot of research online and found that most of the time the supports are custom made or a modification of the OEM supports using hooks and hardware that came with the Lenco (maybe a subject matter expert could confirm this).  Then I will try to craft all the clutch system in order to show you a more complete mock up that includes the temporary engine/transmission combo in place, I also need to have these components made before I can put the primer on the body and frame.  Stay tuned for more progress next week I hope...  Comments and suggestions are welcome!

Take care, Francis

Lenco transmission support at an early stage of machining in the milling chuck.362_Lenco_Mount_Progress_1.JPG.ac57f7cc00fe941a247f2cf13a3e5b57.JPG

After I have machined the channels both side, I drilled holes to match those on the frame sections.  I drilled a series of holes in order to have the possibility of adjustments. 363_Lenco_Mount_Progress_2.JPG.416b325943241fb65da14092aff8da44.JPG

Final part.364_Lenco_Mount_Final.JPG.7c6554190132217a0cbfc35237ba90db.JPG

Test fit on the Lenco transmission.365_Lenco_Mount_Test_Fit_1.JPG.6e198abf851d06ca5f4d859291554e65.JPG

Test fit on the frame.366_Lenco_Mount_Test_Fit_2.JPG.1c4898f7e72ca56773332a72481e5233.JPG

Red anodized, it will give a nice contrast on the drive train.366b_Lenco_Mount_Anodized.JPG.e170848f4d1e4aed262e56d0bd90abde.JPG

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

I know how. Better eyesight than me...better dexterity than me...more determination than me...and Waaaay more patience!

You are doing an absolutely fantastic job on this Francis! No doubt the paint will hide some construction detail, but the beauty it will add I’m sure will be amazing.

Thanks Greg,  The paint job will be a good challenge with all the details and the way I decided to build the cabin (with the floor pan in place) so maybe I should ask my elf team to do the job on my place... LOL.

Francis

1 hour ago, NOBLNG said:

Hey Greg ,i know exactly what you mean..lol!!!

Francis, you amaze me my friend.....The finite details throughout this build are pure perfection sir. I just hope that one any, somewhere our paths will cross at a show so I can see this beauty in person. Thanks for inspiring us all.

Cheers, Steve

16 hours ago, Steve H said:

Francis, you amaze me my friend.....The finite details throughout this build are pure perfection sir. I just hope that one any, somewhere our paths will cross at a show so I can see this beauty in person. Thanks for inspiring us all.

Cheers, Steve

Thanks again Steve!  I'm glad we have this forum to share our passion, most of us have lived far apart from each other and this place keeps us in touch.  It would be really fantastic if one day we could all be gathered in one place to contemplate our toys, there would be shining eyes and smiles!   Maybe good discussions too... 😊

Francis

On 3/10/2021 at 4:26 PM, Mike Williams said:

Oh my!  Francis, the parts you make probably fit better than those you can buy in real scale!  Anodized.....they even look better.  Mercy....this is fun to view!

Mike..

Thanks for the kind comment Mike!  There is a bit of you in this part, you kinda shuffled me (the right way...) to show an update with the motor mounted in the frame so this part was needed to do it.  I tend to get lost and work all over the place at the same time because I have so many things to fabricate (all in fact ...) but I must give you something to eat because you have all been very loyal and motivating from the very beginning!  It's starting to smell like spring outside and that worries me... but I shouldn't, it's just a hobby!

Francis

Hello everyone,

I spent the weekend working on another important (to me at least...) of the mechanical components, the clutch lever system.  I think all D100 from that era had an hydraulic clutch system, at least I couldn't find any information on a mechanical system so I tried to replicate something like what is used on all Mopar A or B bodies.  I made the bracket on the frame with styrene instead of brass or aluminum as I wanted to make sure the piece stays in place and doesn't come off so I glued it to the frame using liquid cement.  I was forced to slightly modify the floor pan to make extra room for the torque shaft but I think it give an even more realistic look to it.  The pedal rod (or "Z" bar) will be connected the the clutch pedal but I will have to modify (yes again...) the wheel apron on the driver side to leave more room for the mechanism.  Very small pieces but long and rather complex to make, comments and suggestions are welcome.

Francis

Torque shaft made with brass, the levers are welded.497_Clutch_Lever_Prog_1.JPG.a095384c3c6a677f5d3e46038a8ebf16.JPG

Bracket made with styrene and the stud was made on the lathe.498_Clutch_Lever_Prog_2.JPG.bf7f49760721e95545771654d232dcb5.JPG

Different view.499_Clutch_Lever_Prog_3.JPG.e2612a9c3f1a3ba88b04107fa406e469.JPG

Mockup test mounted on the bellhousing stud with the fork rod in place, I will add an aluminum nut on final assembly.500_Clutch_Lever_Test_1.JPG.1187e6adc85c488186c68c67ac7376ec.JPG

The complete mechanism.501_Clutch_Lever_Prog_4.JPG.62088387afc956d3ff017dc120f40c46.JPG

Different point of view, more work in sight for my elves... 🤔502_Clutch_Lever_Prog_5.JPG.008c3f85425fe3f838d03292885931e8.JPG

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Hello everyone,

I spent the weekend working on another important (to me at least...) of the mechanical components, the clutch lever system.  I think all D100 from that era had an hydraulic clutch system, at least I couldn't find any information on a mechanical system so I tried to replicate something like what is used on all Mopar A or B bodies.  I made the bracket on the frame with styrene instead of brass or aluminum as I wanted to make sure the piece stays in place and doesn't come off so I glued it to the frame using liquid cement.  I was forced to slightly modify the floor pan to make extra room for the torque shaft but I think it give an even more realistic look to it.  The pedal rod (or "Z" bar) will be connected the the clutch pedal but I will have to modify (yes again...) the wheel apron on the driver side to leave more room for the mechanism.  Very small pieces but long and rather complex to make, comments and suggestions are welcome.

Francis

Torque shaft made with brass, the levers are welded.497_Clutch_Lever_Prog_1.JPG.a095384c3c6a677f5d3e46038a8ebf16.JPG

Bracket made with styrene and the stud was made on the lathe.498_Clutch_Lever_Prog_2.JPG.bf7f49760721e95545771654d232dcb5.JPG

Different view.499_Clutch_Lever_Prog_3.JPG.e2612a9c3f1a3ba88b04107fa406e469.JPG

Mockup test mounted on the bellhousing stud with the fork rod in place, I will add an aluminum nut on final assembly.500_Clutch_Lever_Test_1.JPG.1187e6adc85c488186c68c67ac7376ec.JPG

The complete mechanism.501_Clutch_Lever_Prog_4.JPG.62088387afc956d3ff017dc120f40c46.JPG

Different point of view, more work in sight for my elves... 🤔502_Clutch_Lever_Prog_5.JPG.008c3f85425fe3f838d03292885931e8.JPG

Hi Francis!

Fantastic work, as always. Bravo!

And what exactly tis the thread size for the bearing shafts on this mechanism? Just curious...

CT 

Francis, I am certain you will have 100 photo albums of all the work put into this truck!! At the shows you will have to have your own table to present this work of art!! Everyone MUST see all the endless details that went into this. CRAZY STUFF!!

Lorne

8 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Francis!

Fantastic work, as always. Bravo!

And what exactly tis the thread size for the bearing shafts on this mechanism? Just curious...

CT 

Thanks again Claude!

We talked about this several times my friend, it's neither metric nor English and you have to ask my team of elves for the technical details but they are stingy with comments! 🤫

Francis

7 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

I'm beginning to think it's more likely that you have built a giant dime and the truck is full scale pretending to be a model. Just saying. LOL

Thanks for the kind words Ian!

Unfortunately my equipment is too small to make a giant dime and I believe it is illegal to duplicate coins anyway. 😁

Francis

6 hours ago, Lorne said:

Francis, I am certain you will have 100 photo albums of all the work put into this truck!! At the shows you will have to have your own table to present this work of art!! Everyone MUST see all the endless details that went into this. CRAZY STUFF!!

Lorne

Thanks for your kind comments Lorne!

I could well have a thousand photos at the end so I think I'll save some space on the table for the other participants but luckily there is internet and I can direct those interested to my thread on the forum. In addition, they will be able to see the superb work done by all the enthusiasts on the site!   One stone two hits as they say...

Francis

3 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Your details are simply insane!  Please keep on building a fantastic model.

Thanks Jim!  I'm not out of the wood yet but I still have plenty of ideas!

At the very least, I'll have a nice box full of custom made parts to look at if I fail to finish this project! 🤔

Francis

Francis,  a wonderful view.  I like the rounded-off edges on the small metal parts, even seen on the pedal assembly.  Compliments.

Your photography in close up view is superb, to realize these parts are so minuscule and so realistic, is actually quite a sensation.

We all love your updates, personally I find myself seeking to better my own methods, truly your entries are an inspiration.

Mike..