Model Cars Magazine Forum

Do you keep your instructions?

3 hours ago, bill_rules said:

I scan instructions and post them on my Fotki page for anyone to use or download. I'd be glad to take any unwanted instructions.

https://public.fotki.com/bill-rules/instruction-sheets/

Great idea. I think I may have utilized this resource a few times. How do I get you copies of I-Sheets that I have and that are not listed on your site?

On 12/31/2019 at 4:27 AM, VanSpence said:

I have been modeling since I was quite young, like 10 or so and I have this one thing that I do and that is I keep all my instructions for the kits that I do. I have many instructions going as far back as the early 80's of kits that I have done over the years, including cars, planes, boats, spaceships, gundam, tanks and even just oddball stuff. I have them all set up in folders by company brands and I have a whole file box full of them that I have been carting around with me right from the beginning. 

Wondering if this is weird or if there is anyone else out there who is similar? Find it kind of odd that I have been carting this box of instructions around for 40 years! 

Yes, I keep them as well.

I have kept most of my instruction sheets over the years, though I have pitched some which were glue-covered or otherwise unsalvageable. I also keep decal sheets and spare parts, though I draw the line at saving boxes (unless they're really old, whereupon I sell them at swap meets).

5 hours ago, Edward Gore said:

I scan instructions and post them on my Fotki page for anyone to use or download. I'd be glad to take any unwanted instructions.

https://public.fotki.com/bill-rules/instruction-sheets/

Great idea. I think I may have utilized this resource a few times. How do I get you copies of I-Sheets that I have and that are not listed on your site?

The go to place for online scanned instruction sheets was for years Drastic Plastic Model Club website. Everything was well-organized and the actual scans were on the Fotki site.  Then things happened, and the webpage was not longer functional. But the Fotki site is  still up with hundreds of instruction sheets available.  As I mentioned before, I have submitted scans of some instructions listed under "wanted" section and they were uploaded by Bob Black to that Fotki site.  That was few years back.  I still use the site but I'm not sure if Bob is still around maintaining it.  His email address is listed on the Fotki site.

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/

Personally I would rather have all the scans on a single site (not have to scour the Internet to find what I need).  But things change, people move on . . .   I guess the important thing is that someone somewhere provided this service to modelers.

You can send scans of instructions to bill-rules@fotki.com , PM me if you need a mailing address.

13 minutes ago, peteski said:

The go to place for online scanned instruction sheets was for years Drastic Plastic Model Club website. Everything was well-organized and the actual scans were on the Fotki site.  Then things happened, and the webpage was not longer functional. But the Fotki site is  still up with hundreds of instruction sheets available.  As I mentioned before, I have submitted scans of some instructions listed under "wanted" section and they were uploaded by Bob Black to that Fotki site.  That was few years back.  I still use the site but I'm not sure if Bob is still around maintaining it.  His email address is listed on the Fotki site.

Personally I would rather have all the scans on a single site (not have to scour the Internet to find what I need).  But things change, people move on . . .   I guess the important thing is that someone somewhere provided this service to modelers.

I'm a member of Drastic Plastic.  I've sent scans to Bob for his page and have let him know he is free to download and post any scans from my page on his site.

Scanning instructions sheets and getting them ready to post can be very time consuming.....and the internet is for scouring....

2 hours ago, bill_rules said:

I'm a member of Drastic Plastic.  I've sent scans to Bob for his page and have let him know he is free to download and post any scans from my page on his site.

Scanning instructions sheets and getting them ready to post can be very time consuming.....and the internet is for scouring....

I wasn't saying that what you are doing with your scans is wrong. I was just saying that it would be nice to have all the instructions on a single site, indexed, and easily found.  Just like the old DPMCC site was.  Sorry if my message gave a wrong impression.

On 1/1/2020 at 2:07 PM, peteski said:

On 1/1/2020 at 2:08 PM, bill_rules said:

You can send scans of instructions to bill-rules@fotki.com , PM me if you need a mailing address.

Ok, Thanks for the info

Nope, which has bitten me a few times when I needed them to partake in the model club's theme for box stock, I don't keep the box either, all goes in the bin when I am done with the kit.

When I was kid/teen, I did keep the instructions.

Edited by martinfan5

Didn't keep some from my beginning days of modelling (late 50s) but since then, yes I keep them and have many going back to the early 60's. They take up most of one drawer in a filing cabinet. Enjoy going back through them ever so often and and feeling guilty about the kits I butchered, threw out and wish I could have a second chance at.