Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

Thanks to the generosity of Gerry Paquette, (Exotics_Builder) the conversion of the 4 bbl intake that he was so courtesy to send to me, is taking shape as a 2 bbl intake.

I'll likely be doing a bot more detail work on it, but it appears that it will do the trick very nicely!

Thanks again Gerry!

The generosity of many of the members here never ceases to amaze me! :)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

• Like 2

I bought this, dated 1986..

photo-vi.jpg

I've built the chassis interior unit, now for the decals!

photo-vi.jpg

Oh dear! I started with the front wing, and as you see Collapse! So I sprayed the sheet with a gloss clear, waited for it to dry. The bonnet and roof decals are fine but any decal with curves, collapse again! I'll cut the others down to 'flat service' and try again, but two decals already lost! I've found the email address for Fujimi to ask for another set of decals, but won't hold my breath! So I will remove the two side decals and see what I have left!

Further to my decal catastrophe, I have culled certain decals and kept 'flat' ones! Some of which are still dodgy around the edges!

photo-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

photo1-vi.jpg

Tomorrow I shall put it in the Tamaya body stand and start spraying with the first coat of a clear gloss. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 5:26 PM, PatW said:

Further to my decal catastrophe, I have culled certain decals and kept 'flat' ones! Some of which are still dodgy around the edges.

photo1-vi.jpg

Tomorrow I shall put it in the Tamaya body stand and start spraying with the first coat of a clear gloss. 

Pat, that is a shame about the decals. That livery would have been quite impressive.

I lowered it at the front after fitting the body and finding the front higher than the back! Cut up various decals I could use and scattered them about. So now all done.

photo3-vi.jpg

All other pics in the 'Completed' section.

• Like 1

New Heller Citroen 2CV, started today. Decision, car, pick-up, flat bed or camper? AH, remember only twin cylinder air cooled motor, so nothing too heavy!

photo-vi.jpg 

photo-vi.jpg

3 hours ago, PatW said:

New Heller Citroen 2CV, started today. Decision, car, pick-up, flat bed or camper? AH, remember only twin cylinder air cooled motor, so nothing too heavy!

Camper. The little two-banger will have some work to do, but no one is in a hurry when camping. 

I was on a business trip to FL this past week so I packed a few supplies and started work on this Testor’s 1/32 Bonneville car:

IMG_0723.thumb.jpeg.875988f818a270b09826c05238c159fa.jpeg

Perfect low-parts-count low-stress vacation project…I think it’ll end up replicating the original Hawk box art:

IMG_0733.png.4cd40bb53e938ef98c1702d0139c344e.png

I like it better than the Testor’s take, although that is cool too…

IMG_0255.thumb.jpeg.78c3602217cc4463cbb449b0f44fef12.jpeg

Got it cleaned up and into primer today ready for some color tomorrow…planning for this one to be completely box stock, and maybe add progressively more detail to the rest of the series as I work through them…

• Like 1

And, seamlessly continued from the last post…mixed up some Createx today…

IMG_0773.thumb.jpeg.c9baf099818136dd3e1b216cc290a806.jpeg

And shot a base color:

IMG_0774.jpeg.32b6d85b1b42a42402bb29bb08434ee6.jpeg

I could maybe do a WIP thread for this one, but it only has like 2 more interesting steps left and then it’s finished 🤪

Citroen 2CV update. I couldn't think of anyway to construct a camper shell other than on the base vehicle.

photo1-vi.jpg

This is the high-tech template for the camper sides, I've yet to work out how to cut for windows!

photo2-vi.jpg

Edited by PatW
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, PatW said:

I've yet to work out how to cut for windows!

Hello, Pat! I've had to make an opening similar to what you need to..... What I did was to glue something where I wanted the opening to be in the shape I needed. Once the shape was glued in place, I simply scribed around it!

Thanks JollySipper. Yes I also have some wood drills with a sharp point and a round blade, various sizes. I drew one on some scrap plastic and used a sharp craft blade, that seemed to work OK. But time will tell after a few different ideas.  

On 4/14/2024 at 10:47 PM, CabDriver said:

And, seamlessly continued from the last post…mixed up some Createx today…

IMG_0773.thumb.jpeg.c9baf099818136dd3e1b216cc290a806.jpeg

And shot a base color:

IMG_0774.jpeg.32b6d85b1b42a42402bb29bb08434ee6.jpeg

I could maybe do a WIP thread for this one, but it only has like 2 more interesting steps left and then it’s finished 🤪

I like that color…Createx has some nice ones!🙂 And you’re doing that while on a business trip? Wow!

2 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

I like that color…Createx has some nice ones!🙂 And you’re doing that while on a business trip? Wow!

Nah, back home now…but did as much prep as I could in an Orlando hotel room 🤪

Im replicating the original Hawk box art for this one, but I don’t have a set of the original decals so had to cut a mask and lay some Tamiya white down…

IMG_0871.thumb.jpeg.14af469f7861444c54ec215f465529a8.jpeg

IMG_0873.thumb.jpeg.260cab03616329ef23f1b75b0005f89e.jpeg

IMG_0875.jpeg.bd2ddae3cd680d35ff51b8d3fa74e7a6.jpeg

And the inspiration…

IMG_0733.png.a23b7dee9d8fe70c3fcd8ec6d19ec9db.png

I’ll do some touch-ups on the paint once it’s set up and then I can get the body in clear 

• Like 3