Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 69 Olds 442

shoopdog

Here's my AMT Olds 442 that I finished last weekend, the last of my bodies I had painted before winter. Painted in Tamiya TS-15 blue and Tamiya clear coat. Was trying to match the Trophy Blue Poly factory color. Thanks for looking and all comments are always welcomed.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Great looking 442. Nice paint work and the engine detailing looks perfect. I'm of an age that I remember when Oldsmobile offered the Red Plastic Inner Fenders on Performance models. I always thought they were different and if you saw an Olds. with those you knew you might have your you know what handed too you. 

Those red inner fenders are unique. According to the article Shoopdog listed, it started with the '66 GTO, and they were sort of snap in liners. Olds one-upped Pontiac in '67 by making the whole inner fender out of red plastic. Pontiac and Olds offered them for the rear fenders, as well. I wonder why Chevy and Buick never used red inner fenders?

Good grief, enough with the red REAR inner fenders on Oldsmobile W machines. One incorrect article does not make it true. Olds never use them on the rear, fronts only. Do some research (as the author of that article should have). There are enough one owner and/or original survivor cars out there, that if they did exist for an Olds, you'd be able to find ONE picture of them. But you won't, because they're unicorns.

Excellent work BTW. Built one in almost that exact same color.

9 hours ago, jangus said:

Good grief, enough with the red REAR inner fenders on Oldsmobile W machines. One incorrect article does not make it true. Olds never use them on the rear, fronts only. Do some research (as the author of that article should have). There are enough one owner and/or original survivor cars out there, that if they did exist for an Olds, you'd be able to find ONE picture of them. But you won't, because they're unicorns.

Do you have definitive proof that they did not exist?

I only ask because I did the rear liners red on my '68.

If there is absolute proof that they did not exist, I might change them back, but I've seen nothing so far but this article and opinion to the contrary.

Steve

On 2/2/2020 at 9:08 PM, jangus said:

Hemmings does not publish undocumented information.

Edited by Southern Fried

On 2/3/2020 at 8:55 AM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Do you have definitive proof that they did not exist?

I only ask because I did the rear liners red on my '68.

If there is absolute proof that they did not exist, I might change them back, but I've seen nothing so far but this article and opinion to the contrary.

Steve

1 hour ago, Southern Fried said:

Hemmings does not publish undocumented information.

Since we never heard back from jangus.

Well I just went back to the article in Hemmings and saw there was a comment from a reader that only Pontiac used a rear red liner.

Not sure what to think, but mine will remain red at this point, can't see them anyway.

Edited by shoopdog