Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell ‘29 Model A Roadster

BeakDoc

I want to get another too.  Sure, there has been a lot of talk about what people would have liked to see, but everyone has their own idea about how a hot rod should look, and it's still a great starting point for your ideal hot rod.  Even if you don't care about Model A roadsters, it's still a great collection of kitbashing parts.  I already have a use picked out for that SBC.

Odd, Dave. I found this Box Art to be very Lame. These Photoshop/Airbrush Boxtops have always left me cold. They are neither Fish nor Fowl, and just look odd.  They have never stopped me from buying a kit I want, but they have not ever driven a purchase. Revell needs to go a completely different direction for box art IMHO. Either Round2 style commissioned Art Work , or Photos. This Half'n'Half stuff is just Lousy.

The Box Art equivalent of "phoning it in", or a bunt.

I find this box art rendition infinitely more appealing than the previous incarnation.

Watched an online review this morning of the new offering and agree it's a must have ^_^

...even though I have two of the first run already.

One thing I wish they'd done was supply tires along the line of the vintage scale firestone gum dipped style of big and littles. The track tires don't seem to have as much appeal for me.

ymmv

Edited by mk11

39 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Honestly, the box art is not a factor.   If anything, I prefer photos, because you at least have some idea what you're getting.

I agree, box art just has a cool appeal but I prefer those small photos on the sides of the box that show different views of a finished model from that kit. 

I'm a big fan of box art but wouldn't say it has influenced me to buy a kit that I didn't already want.  I love good artwork (as distinct from photos) but the artwork for the Model A shown here doesn't  reveal the somewhat awkward headlight placement on the actual kit.  If the kit had actually been modified to match the artwork, I would be tempted to buy more as although you can improve the headlight positioning, it is a very fiddly operation especially if you have fat fingers!!!

Does anyone know if there will be new decals in this release?  Otherwise I will keep working with the six copies of the first release that I have - two built, one WIP and three waiting their turn.

Cheers

Alan

31 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

From what I understand, the big difference this time around is that it has the wheels and tires from the '30 Coupe.

And of course, if you just have to have a stock bodied Model A, there's still the AMT kit.

Looks like the same wheels and tires as last time. The big change is the small block Chevy instead of the Buick Nailhead. 

I don't like the headers that are on the SBC engine. They have that goofy looking whoop in rear most pipes. The first roadster didn't have that with the Buick engine. I don't understand why the Chevy engine had to. I know on the left side it's to clear the steering shaft. But, it doesn't make sense on the right side. To me, this is one instance where a set of rams horn manifolds would look better. I have all the roadsters I need. But, when/if the '30 coupe comes out, I'll have to snag a couple of them.