Model Cars Magazine Forum

'64 Grand Prix Pontiac

Can-Con

The body is looking real smooth. You mentioned the hood and the ridge down the center. I had a build that I removed the very small ridge running down the center of the hood. The effect when finished gave that model a much wider and even lower look without standing out as the reason for the appearance. 

16 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Nice progress Steve!

I wish mine was at the same stage! :P

It always seems that I am making no progress in the fabrication stages of the project, even though I know that I am.

Glad to see that you are moving along at a faster pace. ;)

Steve

Thanks Steve. 

I don't think I'm farther along as much as I'm just working on different parts of the car than you are. I haven't even touched the interior , engine or chassis yet.

5 hours ago, drodg said:

Great progress.  I liked what you did with windows, I have never thought to do that.  I also like the headlights.   

3 hours ago, espo said:

The body is looking real smooth. You mentioned the hood and the ridge down the center. I had a build that I removed the very small ridge running down the center of the hood. The effect when finished gave that model a much wider and even lower look without standing out as the reason for the appearance. 

Thanks guys.

Got the body painted and polished out. 

'69 Pontiac limelight green from Scale Finishes with Testors lacquer clearcoat.

Went through a bit on a couple high spots but I'm pretty happy with it and I'm not gonna mess with it. 

Left the roof without clear to simulate the vinyl on the roof.

IMG 2683

IMG 2685

IMG 2686

IMG 2687

• 4 weeks later...

A little progress.

Detailed the rear grille and backup lights. 

Went  between the ridges on the tail lights with the back of a sharp X-acto blade to make highlighting the strips easier. Just went over them with a Moloto pen.

I also dealt with the old problem of a manual tranny with automatic shifter and pedals.  Instead of converting to an auto tranny as Steve G. did, I went the other way and converted the console to a 4-speed shift and will make new pedals. I know the console isn't %100 correct but it's pretty close and most people would never know the difference.

Also, the engine I got with the car. Instead of trying to take it apart, I just painted it up and used the valve covers [which I had plated years ago] and air cleaners from the newer AMT '62 on it. 

I also just drilled out the distributor that was molded to the intake. I figure it'll look fine once covered with the plug wires.

IMG 2715

Looking good Steve!!

2 hours ago, Can-Con said:

I also dealt with the old problem of a manual tranny with automatic shifter and pedals.  Instead of converting to an auto tranny as Steve G. did, I went the other way and converted the console to a 4-speed shift and will make new pedals. I know the console isn't %100 correct but it's pretty close and most people would never know the difference.

That's the same quandary that I was dealing with.

I didn't know if it would be easier to convert an automatic transmission, or build a 4 speed console! :P

Neither one appeared as if it were going to be a simple fix, so I just picked one. ;)

Keep up the good work Steve!

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Almost done the interior.
Just want to add signal light and tilt wheel stalks, foil the rear seat speaker and repaint the rear parcel shelf. 

I added flocking, door arm rests, new foot pedals and a strip of trim above the carpet on the door panels.
IMG 2721

IMG 2720

IMG 2719