Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modelhaus Resincast 1960 Dodge Dart Phoenix WIP

THarrison351

I'm done with the interior. It didn't go as I'd planned and I had to remove the black (acrylic) I put on after the red was dry. The red is more or less lacquer and the black came off without even touching the red. The second try is just watery black stripes. Then I sprayed the whole tub with acrylic dullcoat. After it dried, I used a cotton swab dipped in alcohol to remove the dullcoat off the baremetal at the top edge so it would shine again.

FinishedInterior-vi.jpg

I quickly threw the whole thing together to get a feel for how it is looking so far. The front bumper/grill is really a disappointment. It needs about 1/16" of material removed around both headlight bezels. Oh well, it is what it is. Next, I polish out the mistakes in the paint.

PaintedQuickie-vi.jpg

I decided it was time to polish the paint. This is something I've never attempted before. I usually bury my finishes in Mop and Glo and I'm done. Trash in paint, orange peel, bad foiling, or whatever. It gets sprayed with Mop and Glo and I'm done. So, because this was a little more special, I decided to do two things. First I foiled the emblems before painting and then I could uncover the paint and it might look nicer. Two, I would try polishing instead of Mop and Glo. The foiling turned out OK and I'm happy with the polishing. I wish my camera was better at capturing red. Maybe once it's finished I can take it outside and the sun will give a better light. It's raining today.

TopPolished-vi.jpg

FrontPolished-vi.jpg

RearPolished-vi.jpg

RHSidePolished-vi.jpg

I start the foiling next. Wish me luck. There's a lot on this one!

Thanks for all the encouragement. It's been awhile since I've done any real painting, or model building. This one's very simple, but has it's challenges. Ok, I'm finished with foiling. Not the best I've done, but better than the last model which I think was my 55 Chrysler 300 in 2017. Not too good. I did foil some diecast trucks, but they were different. I tried a different setting to see if it would help with the red and my camera. Meh.

LHSideFoiled-vi.jpg

FrontFoiled-vi.jpg

RHSideFoiled-vi.jpg

RearFoiled-vi.jpg

LHRearFoiled-vi.jpg

I'll paint detail the body next and see what the vacuum form window situation is.

Edited by THarrison351

Thanks for the continued words of encouragement. I need them. I've never cut vacuum formed windows. I can't recommend it. What a pain! Even with small sharp scissors this was a fight. I tried my scalpel with a fresh blade, but that was mucho dangerous! I finally started making progress with a new flush cutter (sprue cutter). Not perfect, but close enough. The windows have a lot of imperfections in their clarity. Give me old fashioned clear polycarbonate. Anyways the windows are in, I painted a makeshift headliner, the spears, tail fin reflectors and wipers. Once the glass is completely dry, I'll put it together. Shouldn't take much.

Headliner-vi.jpg

LHSideWindows-vi.jpg

LHSideSpear-vi.jpg

RearReflectors-vi.jpg

RHSideWindows-vi.jpg