Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1/24th scale Jaguar E-Type FHC: Test Shots

2 hours ago, BVC500 said:

Thanks for sharing, and nice work!

2 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Dang that's nice.  Kit is good enough for me.  Must have. 

31 minutes ago, peter31a said:

Looks good to my eyes (which usually can’t see the faults people mention). Love the silver/red combo.

24 minutes ago, Bainford said:

Looks great. I'm getting quite excited about this release. It appears Revell phoned in the tires, but then, it is Revell. Otherwise, it looks like a fine kit.

Thanks guys!  I chose Opalescent Silver Blue as it is the colour that one of my Dad's friends had that I remember sitting in as a young lad when he used to visit us in Harvey Station, N.B.  I felt that a red interior would would well as it would be easier to see in a coupe. I'd say it is the best kit we've had yet of an E-type in 1/24 scale, especially with a body moulding that gets rid of the seam between the doors and the bonnet.

2 hours ago, Jim Whalen said:

Thanks guys!  I chose Opalescent Silver Blue as it is the colour that one of my Dad's friends had that I remember sitting in as a young lad when he used to visit us in Harvey Station, N.B.  I felt that a red interior would would well as it would be easier to see in a coupe. I'd say it is the best kit we've had yet of an E-type in 1/24 scale, especially with a body moulding that gets rid of the seam between the doors and the bonnet.

Hey James, I was just in Harvey last Thursday! ??

• 3 weeks later...

With the bodies in hand (photos tomorrow), there are two windscreen issues with the Revell versus the Heller. First, the Revell A pillars are a *tad* shorter than the Heller. Secondly, the Revell "cap peak" above the windscreen seems to have a) not noticed that the top of the coupe windscreen is not a straight horizontal line between the tops of the A pillars, and b) not noticed that the "peak" line is tilted up about 30 degrees above the horizontal...

Also, without detailed measurements, the glasshouse of the Revell looks wider than the same section on the Heller...

best,

M.

On 11/14/2020 at 6:49 AM, Jim Whalen said:

Here's a couple pictures of a test shot I built for a magazine (Airfix Model World, current issue - December 2020) - normally I wouldn't do this on this forum but since Model Cars Magazine is only just getting going again I don't think I'm stealing any of their thunder (I'm really hoping MCM is going to be a big success, the model car building community really needs it).

Finished Series 1 E-type FHC Pic3 .jpg

Finished Series 1 E-type FHC .JPG

The windscreen looks chopped to me.  With the technology available today, they should be getting the basic proportions dead nuts right on a freaking 60 year old car.  Well, at least it's happening with their 1/24th scale stuff.  If and when they ever get a clue and want to tap the 1/25th scale U.S. market again, I hope they fix these basic goof ups.

Such a beautiful build of a timeless car in a gorgeous color spoiled by a too short windscreen.  Ugh!

2020_12_04_23.04.09.jpg

Edited by the other Mike S.

4 hours ago, the other Mike S. said:

The windscreen looks chopped to me.  With the technology available today, they should be getting the basic proportions dead nuts right on a freaking 60 year old car.  Well, at least it's happening with their 1/24th scale stuff.  If and when they ever get a clue and want to tap the 1/25th scale U.S. market again, I hope they fix these basic goof ups.

Such a beautiful build of a timeless car in a gorgeous color spoiled by a too short windscreen.  Ugh!

As has been speculated, wouldn't surprise me if they took a shortcut to reuse the windscreen and frame for a future roadster. It is a shame, I wonder if it is possible to fix it without doing a lot of work on the roof.

10 hours ago, the other Mike S. said:

2020_12_04_23.04.09.jpg

To do any comparison. photos need to be EXACTLY the same angle.

3 hours ago, Bennyg said:

Is any model perfect? 

Ben

Some are worse than others and this is one of them.

Remember, this is a BRAND NEW tool for 2020.  Why are we having these noticeable problems with windscreen height on a 60 year car?  It just doesn't make sense unless they phoned it in to their Chinese tooling designer counterparts in China.

Unfortunately, the sentiment around here seems to be, "it's good enough". ?

6 hours ago, Bennyg said:

Is any model perfect? 

Ben

Many kits are pointed out as inaccurate on this board and most of the time I don't see it because of my untrained eyes so it doesn't bother me. With the E-Type it is different. Having said that I will buy the kit anyway and try to correct it.

22 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Whatever. I think for myself. If others agree fine. If not fine. You can't accept the fact not everyone agrees with you.

The pics are worth a thousand words.  Deny and deny while the evidence is plain to see.

I know Alexis see's it too, but he/she doesn't want to criticize a new kit.  Can't really blame him/her, probably works for Revell or something  For me, if the flaws are so large that they are noticeable in pics on the internet, they have to be brought to attention.  These kits are not being sold for free.

On 12/5/2020 at 2:39 PM, Classicgas said:

Whatever.  You see it, we don't.  Insulting is uncalled for.  Don't like it don't buy it. I'm not calling you stupid like you are those that don't see things  YOUR  way. 

I'm not calling anyone stupid.  Those are YOUR words NOT mine. 

Why are you so emotionally caught up in this kit?  I'm not.  I'm just pointing out the egregious flaws which are plain as day to see.  You act like I'm criticizing a person or something.  Take a deep breath, it'll be okay. 

The new kit looks like junk in the front windshield area.  You're going to buy it and fix it.  Great!   I'm sure Revell will appreciate that while they're laughing all the way to the bank with this half-baked effort on a new tool.  It's your money, not mine.

23 hours ago, the other Mike S. said:

The pics are worth a thousand words.  Deny and deny while the evidence is plain to see.

I know Alexis see's it too, but he/she doesn't want to criticize a new kit.  Can't really blame him/her, probably works for Revell or something  For me, if the flaws are so large that they are noticeable in pics on the internet, they have to be brought to attention.  These kits are not being sold for free.

23 hours ago, the other Mike S. said:

I'm not calling anyone stupid.  Those are YOUR words NOT mine. 

Why are you so emotionally caught up in this kit?  I'm not.  I'm just pointing out the egregious flaws which are plain as day to see.  You act like I'm criticizing a person or something.  Take a deep breath, it'll be okay. 

The new kit looks like junk in the front windshield area.  You're going to buy it and fix it.  Great!   I'm sure Revell will appreciate that while they're laughing all the way to the bank with this half-baked effort on a new tool.  It's your money, not mine.

?  I have no problem with you pointing out a flaw YOU see, I have a problem with the insults you thrown around about those of us who do not or don't consider them that severe. And don't say you haven't.  Unless you have edited earlier responses they are there for anyone to read. 

Edited by Classicgas

So, has anyone mentioned if it can be built stock? ?

Seriously, some of you need to chill for a bit. It is just a box of plastic that you can buy or pass on. 

Now back to regular questions, like can it be built into a Coronet or something? ? Does it come with a stock hood......and so on. 

Good job on the model Mike!  I should also add that since you not only had the actual kit in hand, you also built it, you are well qualified to make judgments on the kit's accuracy.

I see the difference in the windshield height between the model and 1:1 car.  The model does look like it was chopped.  I'm also puzzled with why this type of error could happen on a kit designed in CAD, and with plenty of reference cars available.  The sentiment that this might be due to this kit sharing parts with the open top model might actually hold water.

It is what it is, and I'm sure many people will buy the kit, regardless of whether it is more or less accurate.

On the positive note, I have to say that the molded plastic wire wheels in this kit look amazingly good!  The only other kit that has such well-molded wire wheels is Tamiya's Jaguar Mk.II Saloon.

EDIT: It would be nice if someone from Revell DE was reading this thread.  it would also be nice if kit manufacturers would allow knowledgeable modelers to examine  a (likely 3D printed) prototype model to point out any flaws the designers missed, before cutting steel molds.  But again, if the chopped windshield is there due to being shared with the open top model, the point is moot.

Edited by peteski

1 hour ago, Classicgas said:

?  I have no problem with you pointing out a flaw YOU see, I have a problem with the insults you thrown around about those of us who do not or don't consider them that severe. And don't say you haven't.  Unless you have edited earlier responses they are there for anyone to read. 

What insults?  I don't see them. 

If you are going to continue to deny and deny even when it's readily apparent when you can see the too short windscreen in the pics, that reeks of group think and their seems to be a lot of that going around here.  Why would I say this?  Because if you continue to deny and deny, it tends to discredit the initital observer who initiated the observation.  And, that's the whole point of it all, isn't it? 

Even though I'm pretty sure everyone can see it, to continue to deny that even a problem exists tends to discredit the OP of the complaint/observation  That will marginalize them in a group setting or good ole boys network clic.  Then, it's back to the usual "Hey guys, we really don't mind this chop top.  Boy what a jerk to even mention it....blah blah blah."  If you can discredit the observer, even when it's plain to see that what they're talking about is true, you can deny anything.  I don't want to get political here, but it's similar to what's happening here in the states right now concerning our election results.

For all the world to see?  Yes, the pics are there and it shows.  However, you seem to want to pivot the discussion away from that to insults you claim I made when there is no evidence of that fact.  So, if you can keep claiming that, then maybe people will believe it just like the constantly denying of the windscreen height problem.  We are the consumers and we have ultimate control and don't have to accept these "it's good enough" efforts by Revell.  It's a 60 year car that has been photographed and measured a million times.  There's no excuse for it, IMHO.

Go back and reread earlier posts you made. I never said you were wrong to see something.  My point has been some do some don't.  You continue to make light of those that don't.  Simple.  Imo even if the issue is there its not that bad to me.  If it is for you fine. But you continue to berate those that don't.  As far as others accusing  some of accepting mediocrity,  not true. There were two kits back in the 1990s that caused enough stir for their major,  not minor inaccuracies,  that the had articles printed in SAE, and Revell and Lindberg ended up retooling the bodies and agreed to accept back all mistooled  kits and sent out replacements. I was one that sent mine back. My point is there is room for those that worry about how far apart tiny little bolts are and those that don't. 

I'm looking forward to this kit.   I have a LOT of kits that are panned for whatever reason.   No one that sees my kits, me included, see the issues that are raised here.   No kit ever comes out perfect yet it becomes such a big deal here.   Could they have done something differently to fix it ahead?  Maybe.   We armchair engineer these kits.   IF they scan and scan and scan these kits, they may still not be perfect. 

It's frustrating to see you guys get so mad with each over in what amounts to a TOY CAR.   90% of the world see us as grown men playing with toys.   If the inaccuracies are so grevious to you, then don't buy it.  That simple.   I won't buy it till a few of you have bought and built and I can make my own decision.   And if you are claiming that it is so grossly incorrect, then woo hoo, you win.   And what did you win?  Like so many things, there are folks who will argue with you forever so did you really win anything?  Lots of negativity.  

• Thanks 1