Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Models has bought another lot of tooling/molds.....

Here are a few images of an original issue Revell 1962 Newport convert, in the factory code JJ-1 Bermuda Turquoise.  Actually a pretty nice kit. Biggest minus is that the side trim goes a bit uphill as it moves forward along the front fender.  Coolest plus is that it has a planned pre-production trim piece that was dropped before job #1 at the factory (the ornamentation around the rear trunk keyhole).   Some of you might recall this model from the old Scale Auto article about two decades ago where I coined the term "Mainstreamer".  TB 

image.png.432498066e9be00e5a6c63d2f6070a6d.png

image.png.fbb08e120de0149e964c23a3ea5bf5e6.png

image.png.23ec22427cd5d0c954b5a0b8e615a273.png

image.png.3679d2fdb870af04d1f635ca2ca1574e.png

image.png.fb8a894da90dd204699d8d7b81b586c4.png

image.png.2d0ab1d9c2435e5d28760e205eea9754.png

image.png.2820020de36aa6d90efcfc1d31164ce8.png

image.png.c6d59cf39e621b46a6aab976f8bd5a4d.png

• Like 9

58 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Not gonna lie, these classic Revell 62 Mopars are 99% new to me, and I am sooooo happy to discover them and get any/all that Atlantis will release.

Looking at the chassis and engine bay, I'm getting a bit of a Johan vibe, and that sort of feel/nostalgia makes me very happy.

Thank you Atlantis for bringing these hidden gems to light.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Here are a few images of an original issue Revell 1962 Newport convert, in the factory code JJ-1 Bermuda Turquoise.  Actually a pretty nice kit. Biggest minus is that the side trim goes a bit uphill as it moves forward along the front fender.  Coolest plus is that it has a planned pre-production trim piece that was dropped before job #1 at the factory (the ornamentation around the rear trunk keyhole).   Some of you might recall this model from the old Scale Auto article about two decades ago where I coined the term "Mainstreamer".  TB 

image.png.432498066e9be00e5a6c63d2f6070a6d.png

image.png.fbb08e120de0149e964c23a3ea5bf5e6.png

image.png.23ec22427cd5d0c954b5a0b8e615a273.png

image.png.3679d2fdb870af04d1f635ca2ca1574e.png

image.png.fb8a894da90dd204699d8d7b81b586c4.png

image.png.2d0ab1d9c2435e5d28760e205eea9754.png

image.png.2820020de36aa6d90efcfc1d31164ce8.png

That is the exact kit and article I was referring to, Tim!

Kit looks better than I remembered it, too.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2024 at 7:06 PM, Can-Con said:

I'm wondering about the Tom Daniel Vette

The chassis and engine went to the "Black Rat"/"Stingray" '65 and then to the stock '65 so that brings up a bunch of questions about what they have and if it's enough to actually produce a kit.

I really hope they do have everything needed to put it out though as I also want one. 

Man, I would love to havea Tom Daniel,, California Vette!

• Like 2

I have that  Newport Convertible waiting to be restored.

Mine is in the "Metalflake" plastic.  

Hope these ARE coming back. Definitely want the others, and more of this Newport.

Thought I saw a test casting of her in those pics.

I wish that Atlantis would acquire the Renwal Revival moulds (if they still exist that is) and reissue them.

Failing that is there any full set of Renwal Revival kits owner out there who would let someone scan and copy them for 3D printing?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Bugatti Fan said:

I wish that Atlantis would acquire the Renwal Revival moulds (if they still exist that is) and reissue them.

Failing that is there any full set of Renwal Revival kits owner out there who would let someone scan and copy them for 3D printing?

A few old Renwal catalogs:

https://boxartden.com/collections/gallery/index.php/Vintage-Model-Kit-Catalogs-1950-1999/Renwal

Those old catalogs brought back some memories. I built the car chassis and the visible man and woman. My Dad built a few of the submarines. I think we all "tried" to build the V-8 engine at one time or another.

21 hours ago, PintoKING said:

A few old Renwal catalogs:

22 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

https://boxartden.com/collections/gallery/index.php/Vintage-Model-Kit-Catalogs-1950-1999/Renwal

If those old Renwal tools still exist, Atlantis will have them.  

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Dave Darby said:

If those old Renwal tools still exist, Atlantis will have them.  

Revell bought all Renwal tooling that was still in inventory 20 some years ago and reissued a number of them. But no talk of the Revival tooling has ever come up. Atlantis should have all that Renwal tooling now. But with Atlantis looking at the Revell 62 Mopar stuff.....who knows! 

Edited by Dave Van

The guys at Atlantis are good friends with Ed and the folks who ran "Hobbico Revell", so they'd know first hand how well those Renewal reissues sold when they were done 10 years ago. If they were dead stock - honestly none of that military stuff appealed enough for me to pay attention to it - then chances are it won't see the light of day for quite awhile.

8 hours ago, Dave Van said:

When Model King was working with Revell doing reissues and I was helping, we looked at this Renwal kit.......which I think could be viable. Thanks

Renwal 301-298 Tow TruckII.JPG

I bought that kit at Jack's Hobby Shop in 1970 for $2.49. Lotta loot for a ten year old back then.

• Like 2

I am not sure if Atlantis got the Renwal Military Wrecker kit tooling.

I have the Most recent SSP issue and a sticker label on the deck piece says it was made in Poland!

If that is the case, I would say Revell--Germany still owns that one

This was 11 years ago, so.....

Yes I would love to see that Civillian version offered again

• Like 1

It would be great to see some TD kits back. I'm not sure which ones Atlantis has.

I'm betting that the Re-Tooled Rommel's Rod and Tijuana Taxi are still in China, but others may be here in the States.

AS for the S'cool Bus, a nice kit. I'd like to have a couple more of them.

Dave, your version is great!