Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Models has bought another lot of tooling/molds.....

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2024 at 3:14 PM, milo1303s said:

Are all 6 back out now ?

Unfortunately, no. Only the Mooneyes Dragster is a faithful reproduction, other than the original decals. The Scarlet Screamer has a Small Block Chevy engine, the upcoming Keeler's Kustoms Kent Fuller Dragster has a blown Pontiac engine. The Sanitary T Bucket has a blown Hemi engine, the upcoming Keeler's Kustoms Comp T Roadster has a blown FE 427 Ford engine. (I believe the blown Hemi from the Keeler's Kustoms Skorpion '53 Studebaker Funny Car may be adapted to accurately depict the Sanitary T Bucket) The injected Buick Nailhead engine in the Fumin' Fiat has been replaced with the blown FE 427 Ford and 6-2bbl carb Cadillaic engines in the Keeler's Kustoms Yellow Fever Fiat. I believe that the Thunder Charger may be replicated by kitbashing the Dragmaster chassis from Mooneyes with the blown Hemi from the Skorpion. Future release of the Bantam in the Keeler's Kustoms series remains to be seen. Anyone know what the second engines in the Keeler's Kustoms Kent Fuller Dragster and Comp T Roadster will be?

Edited by Tim W. SoCal
spelling correction

On 5/14/2024 at 7:49 PM, Tim W. SoCal said:

Future release of the Bantam in the Keeler's Kustoms series remains to be seen. 

Atlantis has confirmed that the tooling for the Bantam is long gone and would require completely new tooling.

The parts pack Hemi ended up in the Miss Deal (now Skorpion). I wonder whatever happened to the Nailhead?

Speaking of old vintage kits; I wonder what happened to Palmer molds. It is my understanding that Palmer (and Pyro) ended up with Lindberg, as per that youtube video: 

And since Lindberg is now Round2, and seems Round2 sold a bunch of old molds to Atlantis.....

Pyro made some nicely proportioned and detailed 1/32nd scale, multi-piece bodies.  The kits could have used real rubber tires instead of molded plastic. 

I can't think of anything Palmer did that is worth doing.  Some of their 1970s subject matter was interesting, but all of their kits were terrible and not true to scale.

On 5/22/2024 at 10:02 PM, Motor City said:

I can't think of anything Palmer did that is worth doing.  Some of their 1970s subject matter was interesting, but all of their kits were terrible and not true to scale.

This one wasn't bad, being a copy of the MPC kit. The body and interior are really pretty good, it's just the MPC cribbed chassis and engine that come up short.

image.png.6e8ae904d45fd856629f52a7aa5642dd.png

,, last seen as,, 

image.png.c232f45b59e44abcf3f542ed68967541.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dietgilroy said:

will they fix the proportions of the tri five Chevys or at least fix the fitment of the panels?

I don't think they are going to do anything to the molds except put them into service. Maybe sometime in the future?

10 hours ago, oldcarfan said:

Maybe I missed it, but I wonder if Revell or Atlantis ended up with the Tom Daniels Street Vette?

The California Street Vette box was strategically placed among boxes from other kits known to be in Atlantis' possession in the background of one of their recent videos, showing off the test shots of the Revell 1962 Mopar kits.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2024 at 8:49 PM, Tim W. SoCal said:

Unfortunately, no. Only the Mooneyes Dragster is a faithful reproduction, other than the original decals. The Scarlet Screamer has a Small Block Chevy engine, the upcoming Keeler's Kustoms Kent Fuller Dragster has a blown Pontiac engine. The Sanitary T Bucket has a blown Hemi engine, the upcoming Keeler's Kustoms Comp T Roadster has a blown FE 427 Ford engine. (I believe the blown Hemi from the Keeler's Kustoms Skorpion '53 Studebaker Funny Car may be adapted to accurately depict the Sanitary T Bucket) The injected Buick Nailhead engine in the Fumin' Fiat has been replaced with the blown FE 427 Ford and 6-2bbl carb Cadillaic engines in the Keeler's Kustoms Yellow Fever Fiat. I believe that the Thunder Charger may be replicated by kitbashing the Dragmaster chassis from Mooneyes with the blown Hemi from the Skorpion. Future release of the Bantam in the Keeler's Kustoms series remains to be seen. Anyone know what the second engines in the Keeler's Kustoms Kent Fuller Dragster and Comp T Roadster will be?

I believe could be wrong they come with 2 engine options in some of these kits so I would assume almost all the kits are back 

• Like 1

On 5/26/2024 at 8:41 PM, dietgilroy said:

will they fix the proportions of the tri five Chevys or at least fix the fitment of the panels?

Haven't built one of the tri fives since I was 16 or 17 but never had a problem with panel fitment just getting the chrome trim on the sides without glue every where !!! LOL 

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, milo1303s said:

Haven't built one of the tri fives since I was 16 or 17 but never had a problem with panel fitment just getting the chrome trim on the sides without glue every where !!! LOL 

Fast forward a few decades, and I think the hot setup would be to strip the plating, attach the trim, paint, then BMF. Especially if you use the Bel Air trim on the '56.

Edited by Rodent

The '55 Chevy is probably the "easiest" of the Revell tri-five Chevy kits to work with.  Atlantis will have to tool another set of tires for it, as the '55 didn't get converted over to the (wider than original) two-piece hollow tires by Revell.  Those won't fit, as the inner wheel houses on the chassis are quite narrow.  One side is narrower than the other, something to watch for if you are working on one.  The Revell Hot Rod magazine issue had wider tires and really wasn't buildable out of the box due to this.

If Atlantis gets to the '56, they had better tool some new clear parts as the original front and rear glass falls through the openings in any issue past the mid-Seventies.  I'm surprised they didn't at least tool a new rear glass for the '57 hardtop.

• Like 2