Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Models has bought another lot of tooling/molds.....

On 7/10/2020 at 10:02 PM, Dave Van said:

They looked at some...even made an announcement but in the end passed on the tooling. I got a test shot...but it never got further.  

Could you post a pic of the test shot?

On 2/28/2024 at 10:24 PM, CabDriver said:

Next car kit from Atlantis, presumably…posted on their Instagram today:

IMG_8722.jpeg.c56ca059eee5720e83a878711ace2e8f.jpeg

That box art proposal is AWFUL. I can't help but think that it is holding kit sales back on the Keeler's Kustoms subject matter, and Atlantis might have done well with their initial strategy of utilizing slightly revised original Revell artwork as they did with their aircraft/military/space kits a few years back. Use the portrait of the Scarlet Screamer, retouch the image a digital program to reflect the Pontiac engine they are using, and let the rest of the box art be reminiscent of the 1963 double kit.  

Edited by garagepunk66

7 hours ago, garagepunk66 said:

That box art proposal is AWFUL. I can't help but think that it is holding kit sales back on the Keeler's Kustoms subject matter, and Atlantis might have done well with their initial strategy of utilizing slightly revised original Revell artwork as they did with their aircraft/military/space kits a few years back. Use the portrait of the Scarlet Screamer, retouch the image a digital program to reflect the Pontiac engine they are using, and let the rest of the box art be reminiscent of the 1963 double kit.  

I agree with you 100% on that, it's terrible. They need to put a little more thought in what they are doing. The copper BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH they used in the Sidewinder was a disappointment. I passed on it also.

Agree 128%; all of the box art produced by Atlantis for all car subjects has been lacking vision, beauty, excitement, brand focus, and have failed to manage expectations.

So many people were really upset over the ex-Revell 57 Cadillac, and it didn't have to go down that way.

Design-wise, changing the box art logo colour, size, and placement, using photos of a real car here, illustrations there, lots of white, no detail shots, questionable typography, and more, and it's not working.

Awhile back, I created this mock box art for the Green Elephant.

I would love love love to see Atlantis succeed, and if they can just pull it all together with their graphic design, I'm sure people would know what they're in for, and sales would soar.

I should reach out to them again.

atlantis_green_elephant_vega_02b.jpg

• Like 3

Given that they're reissuing TD kits they should utilize his son Kelly to do additional box art beyond kits of his father's. I know some of his art is not everyone's taste either but it's a great deal better than what's being used on some of Atantis's kits. A while ago I mentioned that the art for the Revell '57 Cadillac and the Mooneyes dragster looked awkward as well but ultimately it's what in the box I guess. It's too bad, I enjoy box art (explains Palmer kits in my collection) and have bought some of Atlantis's aircraft due to the use of old Aurora and Revell artwork. At least it will probably never be as bad as kits form Ertl and RC back in the day. 

Edited by Phirewriter
  • Like 3

It utilizes some of the same suspension components but the frame is different. It's design is similar to the frame used in the the retooled Sizzler and AMT's double dragster, Chassis Research/Scotty Fenn design I believe. The Mooneyes dragster uses a Dragmaster style similar to the one in the Attempt 1.

Edited by Phirewriter

It's not the Mooneyes dragster.  It looks like what was originally sold as a fully chromed chassis.

s-l1200.jpg

Not really missing the chrome,  and I am hoping they include extra chassis parts like their previous Parts Pack offerings.  Again, if kit bashing is your thing, stock up on as many of these as you can.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Muncie said:

I don't know if it has ever been officially attributed, it is probably a Kent Fuller chassis - Revell had connections with Tommy Ivo, Ivo had connections with Fuller...

The Kent Fuller Story (motortrend.com)

Folks Of Interest - RIP ... Kent Fuller | The H.A.M.B. (jalopyjournal.com)

Fuel Dragsters - The Fuller Collection (wediditforlove.com)

It is absolutely a Kent Fuller chassis! It's the same chassis Tommy Ivo's first dragster was. 

• Like 1

It's never really been discussed here on the topic of the Parts Pack frames, or the Atlantis dragster kits, but some wonderful period-correct possibilities exist with the Oldsmobile 394 engine included in the various permutations of the Revell Orange Crate kit. The front-mounted Potvin blower drive was still very popular in the era of these frames. The 4-speed Hydramatic transmission would not be correct, however, nor would the length of the engine/transmission be easily accommodated in these rather short frames. The direct-drive in & out box found in the Revell Cadillac parts pack, the Revell Tony Nancy dragsters, or even IIRC, one of the AMT engine Parts Packs would be the typical setup. 

Incidentally, as an aside, the 2 piece seat from the Orange Crate is much more typical of the seating typically used in the Kent Fuller or Chassis Research type frames than the fiberglass bucket type seat that Revell included in the original Scarlet Screamer

If Hilborn stack-injection is more your style for 394 Oldsmobile power, the engine from the Revell Anglia or Thames Panel kit would be a good choice. If a 394 Olds with a top-mounted GMC blower is what you would prefer, then you could use engine from the Revell Stone Woods & Cook Swindler II kit.     

Edited by garagepunk66
  • Like 4

On 3/9/2024 at 10:09 AM, Stef said:

Agree 128%; all of the box art produced by Atlantis for all car subjects has been lacking vision, beauty, excitement, brand focus, and have failed to manage expectations.

So many people were really upset over the ex-Revell 57 Cadillac, and it didn't have to go down that way.

Design-wise, changing the box art logo colour, size, and placement, using photos of a real car here, illustrations there, lots of white, no detail shots, questionable typography, and more, and it's not working.

Awhile back, I created this mock box art for the Green Elephant.

I would love love love to see Atlantis succeed, and if they can just pull it all together with their graphic design, I'm sure people would know what they're in for, and sales would soar.

I should reach out to them again.

atlantis_green_elephant_vega_02b.jpg

I don't think the box art is that bad but agree that elements of it are questionable. They REALLY need to have pictures of the built up kit on the side panels. All it takes is a customer buying one or two kits that in no way resemble the pictured car to loose that customer. If I bought the Jungle Jim Camaro and expected it to build like the picture, I'd say never again to Atlantis. 

• Like 4

IMG_8722.jpegLooking at the proposed box art, the Keeler's Kustoms Kent Fuller Dragster kit may include a Blown Pontiac 421 engine. IMNSHO, this is much better choice by Atlantis then the 6-carb Cadillac engine shown in previous pictures of the prototype kit. However, since the Keeler's Kustoms releases include 2 engines, the kit may contain both.

On 3/9/2024 at 2:11 AM, garagepunk66 said:

Curious, how would Atlantis have access to Revell copyright artwork?

Box Art Horrible??????  Uninspired.....yes.  I've had a hand in creating boxart......it's a lot of work. Atlantis must want a look and they are going with it. Also they are pretty new to this automotive sector of kits. 

ONE of my purposed that got altered MANY more times before finalized.......

MARSHALLBOXd.jpg

2 hours ago, Bill Eh? said:

Curious, how would Atlantis have access to Revell copyright artwork?

Apparently the tooling package came with some large degree of intellectual property such as artwork, instruction illustrations, etc. One such example of box art images that were recycled from the Revell release was the Allison Prop Jet Kit. The B-24, B-25 & B-36 kits are another. I thought I saw one post from Atlantis on Facebook that was a kit proposal design that did not make it to production, so it can be presumed that they also received much of the engineering documentation as well.   

Edited by garagepunk66
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, garagepunk66 said:

Apparently the tooling package came with some large degree of intellectual property such as artwork, instruction illustrations, etc. One such example of box art images that were recycled from the Revell release was the Allison Prop Jet Kit. The B-24, B-25 & B-36 kits are another. I thought I saw one post from Atlantis on Facebook that was a kit proposal design that did not make it to production, so it can be presumed that they also received much of the engineering documentation as well.   

Thanks for sharing that new-to-me information. You're right about the new illustration styling being uninspiring. In spite of that, I still purchased the Mooneyes and Yellow Fever kits.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2024 at 10:09 AM, GMP440 said:

Doesn't the Scarlett Screamer look like the Mooneyes Dragster.  Is this basically the same kit?

Mooneyes uses a Dragmaster Chassis, the Scarlet is a Chassis Research K-88 Dogsled chassis 

26 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

I believe Ed Keeler might be driving some of this, him being the original designer 

How is Keeler the designer? All the parts are pre made items. By that, I mean, Pontiac Engine, Chassis Research Chassis, etc..

He came up with ideas to kit, the rest is just parts someone else designed. Atlantis moving stuff around would alone make it their design. Right?

4 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

How is Keeler the designer? All the parts are pre made items. By that, I mean, Pontiac Engine, Chassis Research Chassis, etc..

He came up with ideas to kit, the rest is just parts someone else designed. Atlantis moving stuff around would alone make it their design. Right?

JIM Keeler was in on the original design of these kits, if not the designer himself.  He has been a consultant in the packaging and marketing of the Atlantis version of these kits.

Edited by sfhess
  • Like 2