Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Models has bought another lot of tooling/molds.....

That Revell '57 Nomad wagon looks pretty good, for the monster that it is rumored to be. I hope Atlantis has worked over the tool to help the fit issues.

That little T-Bucket with the square roll bar looks nice too. I wonder what other engine they will pair with the big, blown Ford? I don't like the front wheels and tires on these kits though. To Wide and Too Modern! The Yellow Fever had the same problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greg Myers said:

Nothing modern about them. They're right out of the original Revell Parts Packs from the mid sixties. 

Really?

I had not known that. I learned something new.

Thanks!

• Like 1

The front wheels in the Atlantis kits are unchanged from those in the Revell parts packs.  The tires are new tooling however (Revell kept the original ones, to use in kits they kept).  The Atlantis front tires look just a bit different from the originals in that the tread area is wider, making the tire look a lot wider.  The tires they tooled for the '57 Chevy kits look wider than those used in the more recent Revell issues of those kits also.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2024 at 1:51 AM, stavanzer said:

That Revell '57 Nomad wagon looks pretty good, for the monster that it is rumored to be. I hope Atlantis has worked over the tool to help the fit issues.

As much as I love Revell's old Tri-Five "Unbuildables", the '57 Nomad is probably the second worst of the bunch, only surpassed by the atrocity of the '56 Sedan.

Actually the chassis, engine, and interior aren't that bad considering the age of the kit but the proportions of the body are horrendous - particularly the front clip, which deviates quite a bit from the '57 Hardtop: For some reason the cowl has been recessed between the fenders giving the lower windshield trim a peculiar "dip". I wonder if the front clip from the '57 Hardtop can be grafted in to improve the accuracy somewhat...      

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chris V said:

Actually the chassis, engine, and interior aren't that bad considering the age of the kit but the proportions of the body are horrendous - particularly the front clip, which deviates quite a bit from the '57 Hardtop: For some reason the cowl has been recessed between the fenders giving the lower windshield trim a peculiar "dip". I wonder if the front clip from the '57 Hardtop can be grafted in to improve the accuracy somewhat...      

As bad as it may be, it's light years better than the Monogram 1/24th scale offering. That thing has a way too tall roof, and elongated front wheel openings. The rest of the parts are rather toy like. I can work with the ex Revell kit. I wouldn't touch the other one with a 10 foot pole.

12 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

As bad as it may be, it's light years better than the Monogram 1/24th scale offering. That thing has a way too tall roof, and elongated front wheel openings. The rest of the parts are rather toy like. I can work with the ex Revell kit. I wouldn't touch the other one with a 10 foot pole.

Oddly, I really like the Monogram Kit. It builds fairly easily, and looks enough like a Nomad to get the attention of most casual model builders.

I've built a couple, and I like them.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Chris V said:

Actually the chassis, engine, and interior aren't that bad considering the age of the kit

Revell's engines from that era, are still among the best ever kitted. They might assemble, differently, but, they are gorgeous! Miss Deal is still my go-to for early hemis!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2024 at 9:13 PM, Mark said:

Just from the pictures here, I'm seeing parts from the Revell '62 Imperial, '62 Chrysler convertible, '62 Plymouth, and '62 Dodge Lancer...

Yes, please, to all 4, plus the Dart and do I recall correctly that they did a 1961-'62 Valiant, too?

Charlie Larkin

On 4/7/2024 at 7:18 PM, Dave Van said:

Going into business with China is a tangled web. Anything that is created there, they own. If you want to be informed the book '100 year Marathon' details what it is like to partner with China.  Thx

Read the excerpt here. Looks like a very interesting book.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-hundred-year-marathon-michael-pillsbury/1118427576?ean=9781250081346

Charlie Larkin

• Like 2