Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Story about how Noddy Pimps His Ride!

Bugatti Fan

Says Noddy.     Man, this car is so frustrating!         Enid B, my writer has left me driving this heap since 1948!   I look around and see all the cool stuff other guys are driving

Time to go and see my friend Big E (not allowed to call him Big Ears any more due to political correctness) and see what he can do for me.

23ed8f36958db53f67e77be250426868Noddy's Car Sketch Drawing.jpg

Noddy arives at Big E's Custom Shop.            Big E. Yo! Noddy! What brings you here?            Noddy. That Blyton woman who created me has left me stuck with this car. Any way to improve it?  I asked her for a Fiat Gamine back in the Seventies but was ignored!

Big E.   Well lets see what we can do Noddy. Have a look at a few  of my Custom Options.

DSCF9295.JPG

Edited by Bugatti Fan

Noddy   Well Big E, what can you do for my car?            Big E    Noddy you will have to leave it to me. It will be a complete strip down and re build.

Noddy    Can you pimp it up with custom alloys, full interior and give it more grunt?      Big E       Yea! Sure Noddy. I sure will make your car look real  cool!    One thing though. Let's keep the colour scheme or no one will recognise it's your car!

Noddy    OK Big E but when you work on the interior, can I have brown leather instead of that old black stuff.    Big E    I have just the thing Noddy! Two nice brown leather custom seats and door panels to match!

DSCF9296.JPG

Edited by Bugatti Fan

Haha where on earth did you find a 1\25 scale noddy car ?

That thing is crying out to be modified, can't wait to see what you do with it !

PS..  Did you ever enter the Street Machine model shows ?  My big bruv  (who no longer builds...)  built a pro street VW beetle  and painted it like noddys.  Called 'Noddys Revenge' it came complete with a noddy figure he had ( which gave him the idea to build his car in the first place )  I think it won a best competition category ! !   They later put a pic of it in the magazine too !

Edited by Lowlife ! !

A month later Noddy phones Big E      How's my car coming along?       Big E     It's nearly there. Took a bit longer than I thought as I had to cut back the fenders to accommodate the bigger wheels and tyres. The hood needed cutting  on the top for the blower Even got on to the UK DVLA and got you some personalised number plates!   Noddy    That sounds good Big E and look forward to seeing it soon!    Big E     I don't think you will be disappointed Noddy. See you in a few days!

DSCF9315.JPG

DSCF9316.JPG

The day has come! Big E phones Noddy      Hey Noddy, How ya doin?         Noddy      Hi Big E, nice to hear from you. How's the car coming along?       Big E      Well Noddy, you will be pleased to know that your ride is now finished, and you can come and collect it!

Noddy      That's great Big E, I will be along straight away for it!        Big E       Noddy, One thing! Your pimped up retro  ride looks great, but there is just one thing.      Noddy     What's that Big E?      Big E    Get rid of that stupid hat with the bell on the end of it!   

THE END!

OK, I expect some of you are wondering what all the Noddy story was about. He is a character created by an English children's book writer named Enid Blyton. The Noddy books have been made into children's TV programmes in the UK and possibly there is a US version. I happened on this damaged toy when I was clearing out some stuff out of my loft. It reminded me of the time when my now grown up kids were very little and can remember the old Corgi toy being played with, suffering numerous 'crashes' off the kitchen table at the time. I thought that I would have a little break from doing my scratch builds and have a bit of pure modelling fun without having to refer to anything and just let my imagination run a bit wild. The spares box offered up all the odd bits and pieces used like seats and wheels etc. I even had part of an old kit interior (possibly from an old Aurora 1/32 scale kit that has been in the box for 50 odd years) that I put to use on this model. The nice thing about doing an 'off the wall' project is to explore new techniques without chancing an expensive kit. I stripped the thing down completely and used  oven cleaner to get all the old paint and chrome remnants to lift. A square aperture was cut into the hood for an upper part of a blower to poke through and all the wheel arches were cut back with a Dremel tool to accomodate the larger wheels and tyres. The trunk mounted spare wheel carrier was made from a turned piece of Perspex, After a good clean in detergent, auto primers were used. The body and fenders were simply air brushed with Humbrol Yellow and Revell Red gloss enamels, so nothing fancy there. The stripped chrome parts were sprayed with an aerosol craft chrome metallic finish, as were the alloy wheels and when dry buffed using C1 Polishing Powder. Seats and door panels were painted in a light brown matt acrylic and when dry given a coat of Van Dyke Brown waterproof drawing ink to give the leather sheen to the seats. The underpan/chassis was painted overall matt black. The original windscreen was masked off after polishing the clear part and the surround sprayed with the chrome. A old white metal 1/43rd scale Bentley gave me an instrument panel for the dashboard and the headlamps, rear and sidelamp, and also the folded down convertible cover. I made up some old style personalised UK number plates (NOD 1 Y) from black plastic card and Slaters plastic lettering. The blower top was sprayed in chrome and fitted.. Exhaust tail ends are  from polished aluminium tubing and a photo etched steering wheel fitted.  All in all the project was a bit of light relief, made from a mish mash of odd parts in different scales just for fun, and make not a true model but a bit of a caracature!      The model is a bit grubby looking in the photos as I forgot to give it a bit of a clean up first.....But anyway, you get the general idea of the model!                                 

TONGUE IN CHEEK DISCLAIMER      This writer takes no responsibility for  any of your kids toys 'going missing' for similar projects!    LOL

NB  I have also added a couple of pictures of my more serious scratch built stuff.

DSCF9317.JPG

DSCF9318.JPG

DSCF9319.JPG

DSCF9322.JPG

DSCF9323.JPG

DSCF9324.JPG

DSCF9241.JPG

P1040104.JPG

Edited by Bugatti Fan

On 8/13/2020 at 6:02 PM, doorsovdoon said:

That was a good thread to follow, enjoyed the story as you went along:) The car looks amazing! Mr Plod won't be too happy when he sees him driving around in that thing! xD

That's Police Constable Plod to you, my good man!!!

Love the overall idea, remember reading the Noddy books as a child. Definitely showing their age through some areas (the bad guys are now called 'goblins'...)