Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1971 Boss 351 Mustang

15 hours ago, vamach1 said:

That would be cool for sure but I would not hold my breath too long.  It’s doable with the right hood and resin grille but building the Sam Auxier prostock was a one and done for me.  The custom decals alone cost more than 2-3 kits.

IMG_8972.jpeg

That looks really cool! Nice build!  I hope that Slixx will step up to the plate and do some decals for this Mustang, or at least add them to sheet somewhere. 

47 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Did this Body Style ever have a Big Block engine?

What other versions might be done after this to stretch the tooling?

Revell has to have planned some options for this tooling to get more out of it.

The Mach 1 was available with a 429.   I think I read that the Revell 007 Mach 1 will have it..

Edit: the box art photos here show a 429 decal on the air cleaner..

https://www.jumbliesmodels.com/plastic-kits-c3/car-kits-c35/05664-1-25-james-bond-ford-mustang-mach-1-gift-set-car-model-kit-p21279

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

The Mach 1 was available with a 429.   I think I read that the Revell 007 Mach 1 will have it..

Edit: the box art photos here show a 429 decal on the air cleaner..

https://www.jumbliesmodels.com/plastic-kits-c3/car-kits-c35/05664-1-25-james-bond-ford-mustang-mach-1-gift-set-car-model-kit-p21279

Looks very promising.  The 429 CJ and SCJ was only available for one year in the Mustang just like the Boss 351 was only made for 1971.

IMG_9013.jpeg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Did this Body Style ever have a Big Block engine?

What other versions might be done after this to stretch the tooling?

Revell has to have planned some options for this tooling to get more out of it.

Beyond the 429 Mach 1 kit version to come, there are several extra parts in the Boss 351 kit, most notably a full competition style gas cap, and a set of fog lamp lenses that do not appear to me to be 1971 factory options (these parts are blacked out on the instruction sheet parts callout diagrams, with a note indicating that they are not used in constructing the subject kit).  Could these be part of a third kit execution with a Trans-Am circuit racing theme?  As always, time will tell....TB i(PS -btw, no insider info here).  

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, atomicholiday said:

Revell site says they’re available now.  I just placed an order.

I wonder if they'll actually fulfill those orders.  With the 4th of July sale that price is going to be below what most hobby shops are going to be able to price their kit and "bonus" of selling it ahead of distribution is going to be a double whammy that isn't going to make them any friends industry-wise.

On 6/29/2023 at 3:23 PM, tim boyd said:

Beyond the 429 Mach 1 kit version to come, there are several extra parts in the Boss 351 kit, most notably a full competition style gas cap, and a set of fog lamp lenses that do not appear to me to be 1971 factory options (these parts are blacked out on the instruction sheet parts callout diagrams, with a note indicating that they are not used in constructing the subject kit).  Could these be part of a third kit execution with a Trans-Am circuit racing theme?  As always, time will tell....TB i(PS -btw, no insider info here).  

Will it come with the rear spoiler and front air dam ? all on one tree ?