Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1968 Dodge Coronet R/T

StevenGuthmiller

35 minutes ago, Keef said:

I am soooo in awe of the level of detail that you have done with this build. How do you manage to keep track of everything? Write down what your plans are as you go? I keep forgetting things until it’s too late to do it. 

Good question!

I guess that I just take things very slowly, and maintain a picture in my head of what I need to do.

As has been mentioned before, I try to treat every aspect of a model as a separate model in itself, so when I begin working on a particular part, I try to concentrate just on that part until the end.

That's not always possible, but that's what I try to do.

That said, in the end, when all of those "separate models" begin to come together in the final assembly phase, I do begin to keep a list of things that need to be done, and in what order.

Steve

• Like 1

I'm using a set of resin tires from Fireball Modelworks on this build, so the red lines need to be painted.

I picked up some white and some red acrylic at the hobby shop today and was anxious to see how it would go.

I was very happy.

The tires are molded with a recess for the red lines/white walls so painting was quite easy.

Started with a little Mr. Hobby white, followed by a coat of red, and then cleaned off anything outside of the recess with a little bit of mineral spirits on a conical swab.

A pretty easy operation, and the results are nice.

Oh, I also "flat spotted" the tire by shaving and sanding a little off of the bottom, though it's really not evident in these photos.

The resin in these tires is quite difficult to cut in comparison to a regular vinyl kit tire. :blink:

image.jpeg.b37be21663fab5f06373f1ed42baf040.jpeg

image.jpeg.b7e4298d530d65a9306fa8188af0dcdc.jpeg

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Good question!

I guess that I just take things very slowly, and maintain a picture in my head of what I need to do.

As has been mentioned before, I try to treat every aspect of a model as a separate model in itself, so when I begin working on a particular part, I try to concentrate just on that part until the end.

That's not always possible, but that's what I try to do.

That said, in the end, when all of those "separate models" begin to come together in the final assembly phase, I do begin to keep a list of things that need to be done, and in what order.

Steve

Thank you for that answer sir. That makes sense to me. Sometimes I tend to get either caught up in making progress or impatient and want to see it done like I see it in my head. I’m going to start using your advice on my next build. 

10 minutes ago, Lordmodelbuilder said:

Looking good Steven !!

Just now, Bucky said:

Nice and bright! Every new step you take really enhances that color.

Thanks guys.

Not the best paint job I've ever done, but it'll do.

A little more trash in the paint than I would have liked, and a little bit of blush on the hood, but you have to be looking for them pretty hard.

I guess they can't all be perfect. ^_^

Steve

It's been a while since I checked in on your progress Steven but "oh my" I'm not disappointed.  The effort and certainly the results of the paint job would make anyone proud.    I appreciate all the documentation / insights you've given throughout.   Can't wait to see her when completed.  Cheers, Tim

8 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Thanks guys.

Not the best paint job I've ever done, but it'll do.

A little more trash in the paint than I would have liked, and a little bit of blush on the hood, but you have to be looking for them pretty hard.

I guess they can't all be perfect. ^_^

Steve

Wish my paint jobs looked like this.

But you also have to consider that the factory paint wasn't always perfect.

This build, Steve, this has been an inspiration to watch.

I very rarely polish out paint, as it seems no matter what I do to avoid it, there's a guarantee I'll get burn-through, especially on high spots, like the contours on hoods.

I love this color and interior combination. Somehow, it says "Chrysler" to me.

Charlie Larkin

• Xingu locked this topic