Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Chevrolet Impala

doorsovdoon

Not having time to build anything this week due to other work, I thought I'd post some of my older builds I did before I joined the forum. This is the 1961 Impala by Lindberg. I built it about six months back and from what I remember it went together very well indeed. A very nice kit and another I'd like to do again. One issue I found with this kit is that there is no trim above the grill where the turn signals would go, it's not even listed on the instructions, also, the instructions suggest placing the rear back up tail lights in the wrong place. Apart from those minor issues I really enjoyed building this one.

20201106_163417.JPG

20201106_163430.JPG

20201106_163509.JPG

20201106_163624.JPG

• Like 1

Just now, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Gareth!

Clean build, bravo!

If you look closely at the top of the chromed grille unit, you will see the turn signals molded outboard. At least, on mine, they are there. I know because I'm finishing one also, and I detailed the grille last week...

CT

Looking at your car closely, I can see it is the first realease, which was later modified by Lindberg, reportedly because GM had licensing issues with the fact that the cowl/lower windshield was much more rounded than on the prototype. I can tell, comparing with my copy, that yours is the first issue. 

Maybe they improved on the upper grille also, adding the flashers that I see on mine? 

Any kit expert in the room?

CT 

Hi Gareth, very nice build! I grew up in the back seat of a ‘62 Impala, a family car that had a few long road trips from here in Victoria BC Canada, down to Washington, Oregon, and  even California. Love the ‘61/ ‘62 Impala’s. awesome details and “crisp” build sir. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Steve

20 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Very nice looking Impala. Bubble top '61 is to me the nicest looking 60's Impala. I did the Nicholson drag car version and enjoyed the build.

Nice. I've been looking at pictures of them and I'd like to do the '62 Dyno Don one day. I haven't built a '62 yet.

18 hours ago, Steve H said:

Hi Gareth, very nice build! I grew up in the back seat of a ‘62 Impala, a family car that had a few long road trips from here in Victoria BC Canada, down to Washington, Oregon, and  even California. Love the ‘61/ ‘62 Impala’s. awesome details and “crisp” build sir. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Steve

Thank you, kind sir:) So far I've built the '61, '64 and the '67 Impala and all so far have been great little kits. The Impalas are some of the best looking cars of the 60's.