Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Tamiya 1/24 Hypercar

niteowl7710

Thanks for sharing the news! Kinda cool, just not my 1st, 2nd, or 3rd choice for a once or maybe twice-a-year new 1/24 road car. It's ugly IMO, but I understand the point. Maybe I'll get one if I think of a good color combo that I want to paint it. Already thinking Lexus Structural Blue by Splash Paints.

Hopefully Tamiya releases a carbon decal set, but if not, I'm sure the aftermarket will step in.

Edited by BVC500

1 hour ago, Exotics_Builder said:

Would prefer an SF-90, but this is a good option.  Looking to get one.  Now, Tamiya, do an SF-90, Roma and, may LaFerrari Aperta

Agreed on the SF-90. I'm pushing Alpha Models to do the Roma, SP2 Monza, and 812 GTS. Tamiya could milk their LaFerrari molds and make an LaFerrari Aperta.  Wouldn't require that many different parts. I happen to be planning my own conversion, and the trickiest part is making the little black fender vents.

Edited by BVC500

2 hours ago, BVC500 said:

Agreed on the SF-90. I'm pushing Alpha Models to do the Roma, SP2 Monza, and 812 GTS. Tamiya could milk their LaFerrari molds and make an LaFerrari Aperta.  Wouldn't require that many different parts. I happen to be planning my own conversion, and the trickiest part is making the little black fender vents.

I've been pushing Alpha as well.  Instead of the 812 GTS, I was pushing them to do a transkit (Hobby design side) to make a Fujimi F12 into a F12 TdF.  Agree on the LaFerrari Aperta.  Haven't yet decided whether to attempt or not

2 hours ago, BVC500 said:

The Aperta would be a no brainer for Tamiya. Not sure why it hasn’t come to fruition.

Ben

Great, just when I swore that there aren't any modern subjects that I gotta have, this shows up.  It's about as crazy detail that I care about, some other exotics are overkill.  Would compliment the F1 kit that I haven't built.  I see potential photo-etch grill coming along.

3 hours ago, Bennyg said:

The Aperta would be a no brainer for Tamiya. Not sure why it hasn’t come to fruition.

Ben

Does Tamiya even have the licensing to do Ferrari's anymore? Doesn't matter what kit they want to do, without licensing they aren't doing any from that manufacturer. 

With a new deal from McLaren now, maybe they'll go back in time and do some older stuff? NO ONE has done a P1 or P1 GTR (other than the quick build kit from AirFix) so that might 

be a logical choice. The 720 GT3 might be another option since a race car might be next up since they seem to do a road car, then a race car.

Personally I'm pretty happy with the Senna...not my favourite McLaren but understandable since it's an eye catcher, whether you love it or hate it. 

I'll be getting a couple for sure, and I don't expect to see CF decals from Tamiya, they seem to have gotten away from the detail up sets other than the fork sets for bikes. 

But I'm sure HD will be all over a detail up set and Studio 27 a CF set.

12 minutes ago, Jhedir6 said:

Does Tamiya even have the licensing to do Ferrari's anymore? Doesn't matter what kit they want to do, without licensing they aren't doing any from that manufacturer. 

With a new deal from McLaren now, maybe they'll go back in time and do some older stuff? NO ONE has done a P1 or P1 GTR (other than the quick build kit from AirFix) so that might 

be a logical choice. The 720 GT3 might be another option since a race car might be next up since they seem to do a road car, then a race car.

Personally I'm pretty happy with the Senna...not my favourite McLaren but understandable since it's an eye catcher, whether you love it or hate it. 

I'll be getting a couple for sure, and I don't expect to see CF decals from Tamiya, they seem to have gotten away from the detail up sets other than the fork sets for bikes. 

But I'm sure HD will be all over a detail up set and Studio 27 a CF set.

Yep. You’re probably right about the licensing. I like what I’ve seen in the video about the Senna. Separate brake calibers look fantastic, plus the modular construction (judging from the parts on the sprue). I’d be very pleased to see another GT3 race car too.

Ben

4 minutes ago, Bennyg said:

Yep. You’re probably right about the licensing. I like what I’ve seen in the video about the Senna. Separate brake calibers look fantastic, plus the modular construction (judging from the parts on the sprue). I’d be very pleased to see another GT3 race car too.

Ben

Yeah, the wheels and rotors are designed to spin for a more realistic build while the calipers will be fixed to the suspension, like a real car. 

GT3 is taking over the world really, over the last 5 years the viewership  on GT3 spec racing (including IMSA) has sky rocketed, NASCAR and F1 are dwindling. Another GT3 car from Tamiya would be great. 

I'd love to see them do the C8R....if they can get licensing from GM....but if anyone does, it'll likely be Revell and in 1/25th scale.

If Tamiya had "lost" (aka not paid to renew) their Ferrari license they wouldn't be able to sell the kits at all - see RevellAG when they didn't renew their license years ago and had to insta-stop selling the kits.  But pretty much all of the Ferrari kits (minus the Testarossa from the late 80s) are still listed as being active catalog items on the TamiyaUSA website.  But making an Aperta out of the La Ferrari would require a significant investment in new tooling considering how Tamiya designed the original kit.  The 1:1 Aperta - aside from having a different roof and wheels, also has a longer front diffuser, different radiator angles, "L" flaps on the A pillars, different angles of door opening, new wheel arches and other changes.  You'd be talking about partially reconfiguring a new chassis plate and tooling a whole new body (and possibly interior pieces as they interact with the new door openings).  Tamiya got 2 versions out of the La Ferrari, and shared parts of the tooling with the FXX-K, I mean sure I'd buy one, but I'm not sure you're going to convince them it'd turn a profit.

It's exciting that Tamiya is rolling out a McLaren given that the company is notoriously prickly when it comes to road car licensing. I agree with many people regarding the aesthetic deficiencies of the Senna, but its namesake is particularly revered in Tamiya's home market and the car is a technical marvel so it makes perfect sense as a subject. 

Thanks James for the heads-up. 

If I was going to buy a 1/1 mid engine sports car, I'd go for a McLaren over a Ferrari in a heartbeat, although the latest "GT" variant is the only one that could even marginally be in the consideration set.  But anyway, really great to see a new, full detail McLaren kit!  

At the risk of incoming arrows/bullets/accusations or worse, I do believe it is worth noting that in reviewing Tamiya's kit pictures, it does appear to have a stand-alone, full detail engine layout.  What appears to be a single, combined engine block/heads/intake/turbos casting will probably need a lot of paint detailing to look good.  Would have preferred those parts to be separate, but still a much, much better solution. 

Very much looking forward to buying and groking this kit!  

\\TIM  

25 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Thanks James for the heads-up. 

If I was going to buy a 1/1 mid engine sports car, I'd go for a McLaren over a Ferrari in a heartbeat, although the latest "GT" variant is the only one that could even marginally be in the consideration set.  But anyway, really great to see a new, full detail McLaren kit!  

At the risk of incoming arrows/bullets/accusations or worse, I do believe it is worth noting that in reviewing Tamiya's kit pictures, it does appear to have a stand-alone, full detail engine layout.  What appears to be a single, combined engine block/heads/intake/turbos casting will probably need a lot of paint detailing to look good.  Would have preferred those parts to be separate, but still a much, much better solution. 

Very much looking forward to buying and groking this kit!  

\\TIM  

I don't disagree with you on the engine, but there are still alot of parts to add to the block. Transmission halves and rear plate, front engine plate, valve covers, airbox or breathers or whatever they call them, exhaust pipes after the turbos, and there's probably a few other small bits. I definitely agree it would have been nice to have the exhaust headers at least be separate for detail painting, but I think most of the engine will be hidden much like the NSX, unless you were to leave it outside the car for display.

It looks like it's probably one of the more complicated kits out there, I don't think many people will not be following the directions on this one closely.

The real question is tho....what colour are you going to paint it?

Edited by Jhedir6

This is a car I have loved for a while and very glad to see it coming out. I will be building at least 3 - one a test run and the other two will be all blue carbon and one of the Marlboro anniversary/tribute paint schemes.

Finally something positive for 2020!!

Robyn

444_main_f.jpg

Used-2019-McLaren-Senna (1).jpg

Truly nothing in engine room visible. Glimpses thru screens. Same with 600 and 720. Not even a dipstick. Suspension mostly covered by undertray. Lift necessary, front tray on 720 is 11k. Same on Senna is 20k. 
Need Speedtail and Pininfarina Bautista, Rimac (same chassis). 
Fun fact 720 and Senna first services at 1yr. Even if you track it. ???
PS Saros Grey (blue) and Fire Black

Edited by keyser

3 hours ago, Jhedir6 said:

I don't disagree with you on the engine, but there are still alot of parts to add to the block. Transmission halves and rear plate, front engine plate, valve covers, airbox or breathers or whatever they call them, exhaust pipes after the turbos, and there's probably a few other small bits. I definitely agree it would have been nice to have the exhaust headers at least be separate for detail painting, but I think most of the engine will be hidden much like the NSX, unless you were to leave it outside the car for display.

It looks like it's probably one of the more complicated kits out there, I don't think many people will not be following the directions on this one closely.

The real question is tho....what colour are you going to paint it?

Good points, all.  Don't have a clue on the color, other than not Silver or White!   Cheers....TIM