Model Cars Magazine Forum

2020, The Year of the Bat

David G.

I only finished five builds in 2020 and three of those are Batmobile related, hence "The Year of the Bat"

My first completion for 2020 was the Luftwagen. (Yes, I honestly did think about calling it "The F-Bomber") I started it in November of 2019 and finished it in March of 2020 with about 84 hours invested. This project is based on the Revell Street Machine Beetle kit from the Eighties... cast in pink. It was a bagged kit that I picked up years ago at a swap meet for a couple of dollars. I bought it more as a VW parts source than anything else. There was one body and chassis but there seemed to be two of almost everything else. A previous owner had started some work on it putting some subassemblies together and cutting the nose off at the doors.

Karma_Bug80a.jpg.5c679d5831dcdc28f561b83474d121a8.jpg

My intent when I started the Luftwagen was to use it as a quick and crazy build to finish out 2019, something a little "over the top" that I could just slap together. I think we all know how that usually plays out.

Karma_Bug79a.jpg.7f23225bddfa54abaf7c9955a00924a3.jpg

Anyway, the decals are from a WWII era Junkers Ju 87 and the engine is from a Focke_Wulf Ta 154 Moskito, also WWII era, and the nose is from a 1937 Cord. These are some of the more prominent mods. For more details, here's a link to the build thread.

Karma_Bug78.jpg.2668ef771a97d0fcf8d6a6e9503200f3.jpg

This is my version of AMT's 1971 Ford Thunderbird. It's one of the cars I remember fondly from my childhood. My Aunt and Uncle owned one and I had occasion to ride in it many times. It was fast and powerful. The body styling was almost as cool as any Batmobile and the interior followed suit. The high-back bucket seats and center console gave the interior a feeling of performance, rather like the cockpit of a fighter jet, while wrap-around rear seat gave the car a custom feel. Overall a very cool car and if I had my own "Jay Leno Garage", I would definitely have one of these in it.

71_T-Bird_47.jpg.132561bd8d252f67808654e114bbccdc.jpg

I started this one on New Year's Day of 2020 and finished up in April burning about 34 hours in the process. Though this one came with a complete engine, there was also an engine plate provided. Since the detail in the engine bay was rather sparse, I decided to use the engine plate and save the motor for some future project. So it's also my first curbside build. For those who may be interested in the gritty details, here is a link to the build thread.

71_T-Bird_38.jpg.d6b2f28b89fcc4bc65ba5f6c67da9f2a.jpg

This is my version of the Moebius Models Tumbler from the 2005 movie "Batman Begins".  I bought this kit about seven years ago and I just now got around to building it. I started it in May and wrapped it up in June with about 44 hours into it.

Tumbler_43.jpg.43c6bd2b15d92562a9ea9a63c8294091.jpg

Due to the nature of the vehicle the kit has some unusual assembly engineering. The interior is rather well detailed but unless you plan to modify the model to allow for an opening canopy or light the interior in some way, most of the interior won't be visible after the model is completed. Had I known this, I would not have put as much effort into detailing the interior as I did. For those who may be interested, here is a link to the build thread.

Tumbler_44.jpg.f075ad33fa987732bc1a1df1f711c9f4.jpg

This is the Bat-Pod by Moebius Models from the 2008 film "The Dark Knight". It's nicely detailed and well engineered but at about $25 retail, I feel that it's a little overpriced given that it's a rather simple kit with a low parts count and not much more complicated than a detailed model car engine. 

BatPod_06.jpg.ed3c220a9e9490f9fc102b6113516481.jpg

I started building and finished this in June using up about 14 hours. For those who may be interested, here is a link to the build thread.

BatPod_10.jpg.58537c9668807d5123090e51f342d7c0.jpg

Here's the Bat-Missile from  the 1992 movie "Batman Returns" it's a revealed escape vehicle based on the Batmobile from that movie. Although very cool, this has to be one of the most improbable Bat Vehicles to date. It would seem that the huge jet turbine engine in the center of the car wouldn't leave adequate space for the retractable wheels or their operating mechanisms.

BatMissile_12.jpg.e1ccf66abbe7d726e90048390951cadb.jpg

I started this one in July and finished it up in August with about 12.5 hours of working time. Here is a link to the build thread if you're interested.

BatMissile_14.jpg.fb620927ac87b5482c9bc404629aa0e5.jpg

That's all for this year. I wish everyone a safe, healthy and prosperous 2021!

Thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

20 hours ago, donb said:

Definitely named the theme accurately. Love the thunderbird. The bike is pretty darn cool too. Had a great “bat” year. 

Thank you Donald. I was a little worried that the Bat Theme was starting to get a little out of hand but I guess it all worked out. GTW I have two or three more Bat vehicles planned for 2021. ;)

20 hours ago, bbowser said:

The Luftwagon is very imaginative.  I like the Thunderbird too.  Not much into Batman but those models are very well done.

Thanks Bruce, I'm glad you like them.

20 hours ago, TooOld said:

Cool stuff !  The "F" Bomb would have been a good name ! :D

Thanks Bob. I like the name too but I was concerned that I may have had trouble with that one as a topic heading. I think most folks would have been cool with it but it may have offended some and offending people is not one of my goals here. That's what Facebook is for! :D

18 hours ago, espo said:

I remember following your Luftwagen build, very interesting to watch as it come together.  

Yes. I also remember your kind comments and encouragement, thank you David.

14 hours ago, Flatout said:

Nice looking stuff David.  Really like the Bat Bike...

Thanks Pete. Although a bit pricy for what it is, it is a sweet little kit, very fragile too. Whenever I have to move it, I feel like I'm picking up a soap bubble.

12 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

The Luftwagon is great, I really like what you done with that. I've built the AMT '71 T-Bird, I wasn't impressed when I started but turned out to be a hidden gem, it's a great kit with plenty of potential, and one of my favourites it turned out.

Thank you Gareth, I do remember following your WIP on that one. I like what you did with yours. The color scheme you selected gave it an elegance befitting the Thunderbird's image as a "personal luxury" vehicle as they were called back then.

10 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I like the Luftwagon!  Gotta love it when a project takes on a life of its own!

Thank you Tom, I do too. But sometimes when the project takes on a life of its own, it can demand more than my skills can provide. There were a couple of times when this one came close.

9 hours ago, kruleworld said:

awesome builds

Thanks Walter.

9 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

That Luftwagen is something else! I need the Tumbler for my Batmobile collection, but to be honest I'm a little daunted at how it might build.

Thank you for the compliment Craig. The Tumbler's engineering is certainly unusual, it builds more like a tank than a car. Which is appropriate when you think about it. I admit that I did find it intimidating when I started with it. There were times that I found myself frustrated and had to dismantle and reassemble a couple of sub assemblies because of mistakes that I made. But it is a good, well engineered kit and with care and diligence you should have little trouble building one. My build thread is fairly detailed and it may help to inform your decision on it. Here is a link.

1 hour ago, ChrisR said:

Very nice!

Thanks Chris, I'm glad you like 'em.

Kind regards to you all, thanks for taking the time to comment.

David G.

13 hours ago, David G. said:

The Tumbler's engineering is certainly unusual, it builds more like a tank than a car. Which is appropriate when you think about it.

That does seem appropriate, it is more like a tank than a car. Your build thread is well done and very informative, I can't believe I missed it earlier in the year. I saved the link for future reference as I most surely will pick this kit up sometime soon. You did a fantastic job on it!

8 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

That does seem appropriate, it is more like a tank than a car. Your build thread is well done and very informative, I can't believe I missed it earlier in the year. I saved the link for future reference as I most surely will pick this kit up sometime soon. You did a fantastic job on it!

Glad to help, and thanks again.

David G.

17 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

Very creative and interesting models. I will be curious to see what you build in 2021

Thanks Phil, I do have a couple of fun projects planned.

13 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

Thank you Larry.

5 hours ago, Danno said:

Nice stuff, David.  Especially Luftwagen.

??

Thanks Danno. That one is my favorite for the year too.

David G.

20 hours ago, spencer1984 said:

Great job on all of them, I'm especially digging the Luftwagen!  I always assumed that the turbine was one of the things that got dumped when the Batmobile transformed to the Batmissile.

Thank you Bill. Your thought on the Batmissile engine is as good an explanation as any.

I don't know that I gave the obvious engine/wheel conflict much thought before I held the Batmissile model in my hands. As I when looking at how all the went together, it seemed obvious to me that there just wasn't enough space for both the wheel assemblies and engine. I even got the engine from the Batmobile that I have to make a comparison and thought, "Yep, there's just no way." and wrote the whole thing off to Heroic Fiction. Which means that it doesn't necessarily need to be believable, just imaginative and impressive. And both of those it certainly is. 

Thanks for your comment,

David G.