Model Cars Magazine Forum

scratchbuilt radiators

retroguy

15 hours ago, retroguy said:

are there any tutorials out there on building radiators from scratch...thanks

You could possibly get one from a Big Rig and cut it down to size and add the tanks? Building a realistic looking one from scratch would be tough. That said, there are a number of builders on here that I am sure have the skills to do it.

Edited by NOBLNG

There was someone on here that built rads using section of fly screen layered with the up/down in line with each other but the horizontals were staggered. It looked pretty convincing. It was a while back but i think it might have been a user by the name of hemi426 or similar

HI Michael!

Can be done, with the appropriate Evergreen or Plastruct materials available at your LHS. Mostly C-channels or H-beams that you refinish for your needs. The grille itself can be made of plastic coffee filter mesh, cooking spalsh covers from the Dollar store (the ultra=fine one), or in a pinch, some car speaker expanded mesh covers that you cut to fit. 

See two examples of scratchbuilt units below. 

Good luck!

CT 

DSCF3676 (2).JPG

DSCF3719 (2).JPG

I believe this was posted on this forum many years ago. The process mostly shows an intercooler being fabricated but covers radiator at the end. I hope it helps.

My apologies to the original poster for not being able to give them credit.

Intercooler Scratchbuild 1.jpg

Intercooler Scratchbuild 2.jpg

Intercooler Scratchbuild 3.jpg

Intercooler Scratchbuild 4.jpg

Intercooler Scratchbuild 5.jpg

Intercooler Scratchbuild 6.jpg

Intercooler Scratchbuild 7.jpg

Intercooler Scratchbuild 8.jpg

Intercooler Scratchbuild 9.jpg

Intercooler Scratchbuild 10.jpg

Intercooler Scratchbuild 11.jpg

Intercooler Scratchbuild 12.jpg

Intercooler Scratchbuild 13.jpg

Intercooler Scratchbuild 14.jpg

Intercooler Scratchbuild 15.jpg

Intercooler Scratchbuild 16.jpg

Intercooler Scratchbuild 17.jpg

Intercooler Scratchbuild 18.jpg

Edited by MeatMan

Wow, there are some great tutorials here. This is the 1/25 scale solution I came up with. The tanks are stryrene strip notched with a file. The side are styrene channel. The radiator face is from Model Car garage part number MCG-2302.

Under the the PE face is a flat piece of styrene that I scored with an exacto razor saw that I drug evenly across the surface until I got the depth I was looking for. The idea is to give the illusion of depth beneath the PE face.

IMG_2594-vi.jpg

On 2/3/2021 at 12:03 AM, Scott Colmer said:

Wow, there are some great tutorials here. This is the 1/25 scale solution I came up with. The tanks are stryrene strip notched with a file. The side are styrene channel. The radiator face is from Model Car garage part number MCG-2302.

Under the the PE face is a flat piece of styrene that I scored with an exacto razor saw that I drug evenly across the surface until I got the depth I was looking for. The idea is to give the illusion of depth beneath the PE face.

Nicely done Scott!

On 2/2/2021 at 11:03 PM, Scott Colmer said:

The radiator face is from Model Car garage part number MCG-2302.

Nice one! What size is that screen from MCG? It does not list any details on their site. Can you get more than one radiator out of it?

Edited by NOBLNG

On 1/21/2021 at 10:36 PM, ybsluos said:

On 2/8/2021 at 7:30 AM, NOBLNG said:

Nice one! What size is that screen from MCG? It does not list any details on their site. Can you get more than one radiator out of it?

THANKS Gregg and Dennis. You get two screens that are 2" x 1 7/8". Hopes this helps.