Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

‘66 “Ol Comino” (Oldsmobile El Camino) pro touring

On 11/30/2021 at 4:44 AM, KWT said:

Very nicely done! This definitely looks like it should have been on the road.

Thank you Jeremy. Glad you like it.

On 11/30/2021 at 5:29 AM, Zippi said:

One good looking ride.  The color and stance looks killer.  Very nice job on the mods.  

Hi Bob. I appreciate the kind words sir.

On 11/30/2021 at 5:30 AM, nyguy said:

wow!!!! a superb build. surely one of a kind.

Thanks Thomas, as I mentioned at the top, much credit to Jeff Bulmer (got nitro) for the inspiration. He did a similar build which is absolutely beautiful. I believe his was a ‘72 Olds, I used the same approach as him for the body mods.

23 hours ago, Jantrix said:

To be honest, most El Camino phantoms sort of leave me cold. BUT, this is truly a beautiful design and execution. Great work. I doubt GM would have made it look this good.

Hi Rob, this one does have a certain “truck like” look to it doesn’t it. I very much appreciate your comments. Dropping it in the weeds gave it that extra bit of attitude. Thanks for having a look!

• 5 months later...

I don't know how I missed this, but wow, that car just has a perfect look to it. I have a '65 El Camino bed that I have been saving for the right phantom ute project to come along, and this gives me ideas. The parking lot diorama is great too, I like the weeds growing through the pavement cracks.          

On 5/28/2022 at 10:07 PM, Steve H said:

The Ol Comino in my new parking lot. 91121424-C9DC-4BB4-9670-EF5DBB31321A.thumb.jpeg.c9ad4217b14b6a31692aab0ed4dd9bbb.jpeg

75B16EC5-52C4-4DC0-80F7-3F625906D3BA.thumb.jpeg.fb857194f5fe6f591f31b3019bcf329a.jpeg

Cheers, Steve

Steve....I've always liked "real-life type" background settings for model car photography. and the first image above is one of the best-ever examples I've seen of this genre.  Great model, and great photography.  Again, big, big congrats.   TIM 

22 hours ago, Maindrian Pace said:

I don't know how I missed this, but wow, that car just has a perfect look to it. I have a '65 El Camino bed that I have been saving for the right phantom ute project to come along, and this gives me ideas. The parking lot diorama is great too, I like the weeds growing through the pavement cracks.          

Thanks Mike! There is something about phantom utes that I really like. Glad that this might give you some inspiration, I will keep an eye out for your creation in the WIP section. The diorama was fun, so thanks for commenting on that too.

Cheers, Steve

17 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Steve....I've always liked "real-life type" background settings for model car photography. and the first image above is one of the best-ever examples I've seen of this genre.  Great model, and great photography.  Again, big, big congrats.   TIM 

Hi Tim, I certainly appreciate your comments sir. I’m not much of a photographer, but hopefully this diorama will help a bit. I felt like I needed something better as a setting for taking photos. I know you liked the Ol Comino, so thanks again for your comments on that before, and now. Your builds and contributions to magazines over the years inspired me to build better models so… THANKS! 

Cheers, Steve

Wow. Yes, the world needs a real one. I like everything about it, but the best part is how well you integrated the graceful sweep of the sail panel into the bed design. Everything looks like it belongs together, and few designers pull that off.

Bill Mitchell, Edsel Ford, or Harley Earl couldn't have done it any better.  A++      :D

On 2/28/2021 at 8:56 AM, tim boyd said:

I commented earlier on the build thread for this one, but in my opinion Steve hit it out of the park with this one. 

I particularly like that passenger side rear three quarter view....this is a model I could see as a 1/1 scale machine strutting its stuff as it slowly motors down the main entrance boulevard at the GoodGuys Nationals in Columbus, Ohio.  '

Excellent attention to detail, flawless finishes, a great stance, and a very creative idea delivered to completion.  Great work, Steve, and thanks for the inspiration for the rest of us...TIM 

X2 !!

• Thanks 1

Is it a car?  Is it a truck?  I know what it is, it's a pure beauty, a design that not even the GM designer thought of creating.  Your decor and the perfect lighting only bring out its beauty!  As my friend Claude always says: Fun with Styrene.

Question: Did you use a sheet of sandpaper to simulate the asphalt, it's a great effect !

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2022 at 4:26 PM, Mattilacken said:

That looks so real my friend! And I could definitely se some more photos of this and all your other builds! Please do a detailed photo shoot of Al of them 😎

Hello Anton!! Thanks for your kind words sir, always good to hear from you my friend. 

On 6/3/2022 at 6:00 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Wow. Yes, the world needs a real one. I like everything about it, but the best part is how well you integrated the graceful sweep of the sail panel into the bed design. Everything looks like it belongs together, and few designers pull that off.

Bill Mitchell, Edsel Ford, or Harley Earl couldn't have done it any better.  A++      :D

Hi Bill, thanks for having a look. I appreciate you commenting specifically on the sail panel. As you know many El Caminos have a narrower panel, it was really important for me to have the larger panel. I felt that it suited the body lines better, and definitely made for a “graceful sweep” into the bed. The lines on these Olds are beautiful.  

On 6/4/2022 at 4:45 PM, misterNNL said:

X2 !!

Thanks Tom! I would love to be in a real one at a Goodguys show. The styrene version will have to do for now…

On 6/5/2022 at 9:14 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Is it a car?  Is it a truck?  I know what it is, it's a pure beauty, a design that not even the GM designer thought of creating.  Your decor and the perfect lighting only bring out its beauty!  As my friend Claude always says: Fun with Styrene.

Question: Did you use a sheet of sandpaper to simulate the asphalt, it's a great effect !

Hi Francis! Yes, it is sandpaper with various shades of grey, black and white misted on it. 4 pieces, cut with a jagged edge to replicate cracked asphalt. I did a quick WIP on the process if you are interested in having a look. The drain cover is part of an old garlic press. Thanks for checking in! I’ve been away for a week in beautiful Nova Scotia, so trying to get caught up. Take care my friend.

On 6/5/2022 at 9:22 AM, TransAmMike said:

I got one word for your  Olds....Perfect!!

Wow! Thanks Mike, I appreciate that very much. It certainly isn’t perfect, but I am very pleased with the end result. It’s definitely one of my better builds. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Thank you all for the comments.

Cheers, Steve