Model Cars Magazine Forum

1929 Ford Model A - Beach Racer

jbattersby

Hi All, here is my second finished model for 2021, AMT's Mod Rod '29 Ford Model A Roadster. For the past 3 summer's I've travelled north from Munich to Rømø Motor Festival to watch one of the greatest vintage speed gatherings. Watching these vintage cars race on the beach definitely inspired this build. Built box stock with minor additions such as the real metal mesh in the grill and spark plug wires. Where I wanted this racer to really stand out was in its colour palette. Typically these cars are always done in darker colors or wear older paint jobs. Lots of black on the frame and suspension parts, hand painted numbers etc. My colour inspiration came from running shoes of all places. The body was painted in Vallejo Emerald with Tamiya Semi-Gloss clear and the chassis/wheels and interior were done in Tamiya X3 Royal Blue to get away from the typical blacks. The Grill and engine block were done in Tamiya X7 Gloss Red to give it that racing pop of color. The exhaust was done in Tamiya XF Flat White to stand out amongst the colors and connect well with the white decals. This was a fun build, I highly recommend this kit since it comes with a ton of great parts, and of course 2 full cars, the second '29 is also underway. Thanks!

Out-1399.jpg

Out-1403.jpg

Out-1406.jpg

Out-1411.jpg

Out-1421.jpg

Out-1435.jpg

Out-1441.jpg

Out-1450.jpg

download (3).jpg

Nice build if also been to romo ever since the first one never missed it such a great event. And to be driving a old car on the beach the days before the event still gives me goosebumps. Such a unreal feeling to been driving 1 km on the beach till you are finally at the water its just so great.

That is really cool! I have this kit in the stack and figured either a stock or rod build but really like what you did with this vintage beach racer! Inspiring! Cool color choices and very clean build. Also love that red background on the first shots - eye candy!!!

A nice speedster model. One friendly suggestion is to check out photos on the internet of the real cars with this engine. There should actually be four exhaust pipes to be correct. I have built several four cylinder engine elsewhere and all have four pipes. Thanks for sharing your photos with us.