Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 T-Bird (original) - from amt?

1959scudetto

amt (?)1961 T-Bird (original) - got this one from a pen-pal in the U.S. in 1985 as a built-up, unpainted glue-bomb - disassembled, spraypainted and reassembled again - I will restore this one day using some parts of amt's 62 T-Bird (original wheels       and tires are still there - I mounted wheels and tires from JoHan's `72 Gran Torino.

I wouldn't use this banana yellow again today, but I don't want to remove the whole paint from the body. I think I will replace windshield and -frame with parts from amt's 62 T-Bird, also the missing chrome bezel from the hood scoop, maybe even the rear bumper (the orignal has a bad chrome - I touched this up with silver paint) and some bare-metal for the trim -  flocking for the interior, install clear headlight lensespolishing the body and lighten up the panel lines on the doors and trunk that are definitely too dark.

Wht would you guys do with it?

P1010225.JPG.d853a3a312ffefca7fcb8e80010838e9.JPGP1010226.JPG.54bcac7e7910634ac882555e92eab737.JPGP1010227.JPG.2399ded0da5f7c2e1d65a50c26474efb.JPGP1010228.JPG.07ff950c53b70e236bbc53d69312f994.JPG

Thanks guys and girls for your nice comments - someday I will be going to restore this one, maybe I will redo the body using a color that comes at least close to an original 1961 color, eventually the original wheels and tires will be used and I have to look for a more period-correct rearview mirror.

I think it looks pretty good as is ,, if you don't mind the color. 

The back bumper from the newer, more detailed '62 kit will fit perfectly, like it was made for it. But the tail lights are slightly different between the '61 and '62. 

[BTW, the front bumper is a pretty good fit too. Just a touch wide but not really much more than the original kit part. I doubt anyone would tell the difference.]

11 hours ago, Can-Con said:

I think it looks pretty good as is ,, if you don't mind the color. 

The back bumper from the newer, more detailed '62 kit will fit perfectly, like it was made for it. But the tail lights are slightly different between the '61 and '62. 

[BTW, the front bumper is a pretty good fit too. Just a touch wide but not really much more than the original kit part. I doubt anyone would tell the difference.]

Thank you Steve, I will try this out someday.