Model Cars Magazine Forum

New From Aoshima, 1969 Toyota 2000GT MF10

• martinfan5 changed the title to New From Aoshima, 1969 Toyota 2000GT MF10
32 minutes ago, JustCraig said:

Hmmmm, wasn't the Hasegawa kit good enough for them?

This one represents a '69/'70 2000GT. The car got a light face-lift in the front and rear fascia in terms of light sizing and spacing and a few tweaks to the interior to modernise it. There's never been a kit before that replicates those "late model" cars. 

Airfix did full detail coupe along with roadster in 60’s. 
Arii etc curbside was ok, best scale CN36 pirelli I’ve seen. Hase was ok. Now another curbside? Incapable of scanning the airfix tool and tweaking?

Nice to have revised car but I’d rather have a motor. Builder roadster MPC sitting there with Hase to convert. Convert for Bond car fun, has all Bond bits though unmentioned in MPC issue. 

25 minutes ago, keyser said:

Airfix did full detail coupe along with roadster in 60’s. 
Arii etc curbside was ok, best scale CN36 pirelli I’ve seen. Hase was ok. Now another curbside? Incapable of scanning the airfix tool and tweaking?

Nice to have revised car but I’d rather have a motor. Builder roadster MPC sitting there with Hase to convert. Convert for Bond car fun, has all Bond bits though unmentioned in MPC issue. 

If you want a full detail 2000GT, you can always buy the High Detail one that Hasegawa made that comes with a bunch of white metal, P/E, and resin to put an engine bay into the curbside and then install the white metal engine.  They just reissued that boxing a few months ago.

Toyota 2000GT `Super Detail` (Model Car) - HobbySearch Model Car Kit Store (1999.co.jp)

10751476p.jpg.5a7583f717cfaa163536ee4ee7fd5a9a.jpg

Edited by niteowl7710

On 5/14/2021 at 5:25 PM, niteowl7710 said:

If you want a full detail 2000GT, you can always buy the High Detail one that Hasegawa made that comes with a bunch of white metal, P/E, and resin to put an engine bay into the curbside and then install the white metal engine.  They just reissued that boxing a few months ago.

Toyota 2000GT `Super Detail` (Model Car) - HobbySearch Model Car Kit Store (1999.co.jp)

Wow! Thanks for this. I had no idea a full detail version was ever issued. I think I need one. 

On 5/14/2021 at 4:25 PM, niteowl7710 said:

James, you just lightened my wallet! :D

I had NO idea there was a full detail kit of this out there. I was watching this on eBay, but there's no way I'd pay what this chap wanted for this and it's a STARTED KIT at that! The auction has ended with no takers and at that price it's going to sit there a loooooong time if he lists it again.

On 5/14/2021 at 10:25 PM, niteowl7710 said:

Very tempted to get this one especially for the price on that website. But I expect the price tag in Europe will be scary.

50 minutes ago, dbostream said:

Very tempted to get this one especially for the price on that website. But I expect the price tag in Europe will be scary.

I think its under $70 at HLJ, which is my preferred self-importer of choice. But Hobby Search is better for showing here since they have images of the instruction sheets.

I know it's always a gamble for UK/EU guys to order direct with shipping and any potential customs attacks. 😉

I got mine for around $72 US with shipping (DHL) bringing the total to around $110. A bit steep, but I've bought from Hobby Search before with no issues (headlight lenses) so the couple bucks difference I didn't fret over.

I could've settled for cheaper shipping, but the tracking and insurance that DHL provides is an absolute must for anything coming from overseas these days IMO.

1 hour ago, niteowl7710 said:

I know it's always a gamble for UK/EU guys to order direct with shipping and any potential customs attacks. 😉

In Sweden it is not even a gamble anymore I know they will add 25% + a ~$9 handling fee. Many times I've been tempted to order from Japan but in the end it is not worth it.

4 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Is this the old Airfix kit? I believe it was sold here as a US company rebox.

I got this on on eBay years ago as you see it.

I could be totally off, but isn't the Airfix kit and the MPC kit the same thing?  They're both from 1968-69, and I know they're branded the appropriate scales for their sides of the Atlantic, but those look to be the same wire wheels (which are only found on the Bond cars) that are on the MPC box art.  There are only 2 "Convertible" 2000GTs in existence, both made for the James Bond film, and they're in fact de-roof'd cars with tonneau covers over the cuts to simulate the stowed convertible tops, but they don't have tops at all.  Famously Toyota wanted to make them targa style to keep the back half of the roofline, but Sean Connery's head stuck out above the roof line, so they decapitated them entirely.

On 5/14/2021 at 4:25 PM, niteowl7710 said:

Thanks for this info - few years ago I looked for this kit in eBay.  There were very few showing up, and the prices were way too high.  I usually deal with HLJ, but they were out of stock, so I just ordered it from HobbySearch.

Edited by peteski

11 hours ago, peteski said:

Thanks for this info - few years ago I looked for this kit in eBay.  There were very few showing up, and the prices were way too high.  I usually deal with HLJ, but they were out of stick, so I just ordered it from HobbySearch.

I believe the last reissue prior to this Winter was back in the early 2000s, so yeah they were "rare" and overpriced on eBay for sure.