Model Cars Magazine Forum

Things I’ll never do again!😳

Anybody have any things you have done that did not turn out as planned or needed correction...kind of an anti-tip?  I made a copy of the Revell Jeep Honcho frame out of styrene sheet. To make matters worse, I laminated .060” and .040” to get the .100” that I wanted. It worked OK, but the seam of the lamination is a pain to fill. Next time I will invest in the proper thickness of sheet or use rectangular stock. Well, live and learn.😳

5BC8C426-722A-4CCB-9650-0A71165A7D99.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

i messed up an otherwise great paint job trying to use locktite to glue on a mirror. it didnt hold and discolored the clear coat.  i was able to respray the area with a quick shot of color and a clear and it is hardly noticeable.   i will stick to my regular glue

2 hours ago, youpey said:

i messed up an otherwise great paint job trying to use locktite to glue on a mirror. it didnt hold and discolored the clear coat.  i was able to respray the area with a quick shot of color and a clear and it is hardly noticeable.   i will stick to my regular glue

I like to put pins in those before paint so that very little glue is needed at final assembly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vince Nemanic said:

Try stretching some sprue and installing it with liquid glue. It will melt into the styrene and it sands well. You may still need a tiny amount of putty.

Good idea, I should have done that at the beginning.

5 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

When laminating sheets I typically bevel the mating edges so there is room for filler at seams.

Good idea also. 

10 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Never again will I dip the warped roof of a model into BOILING water to try to straighten it out. Especially not a rare unbuilt kit body. :angry:

Yeah, a butane lighter is not a good idea either!🤬

762744A5-0941-4E05-A7DA-D7C6A2A95126.jpeg

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Never again will I dip the warped roof of a model into BOILING water to try to straighten it out. Especially not a rare unbuilt kit body. :angry:

2 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Yeah, a butane lighter is not a good idea either!🤬

762744A5-0941-4E05-A7DA-D7C6A2A95126.jpeg

save the stuff for a junkyard or demo-derby diorama...

• Like 1

On 5/20/2021 at 5:32 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

I'll never hold a part in the palm of my hand while I'm drilling a hole again.

Backing that bit out of the bone and taking a plug of meat out with it...well, once was enough.   B)

Oh yeah!  I've put a very tidy hole in my finger doing that.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/20/2021 at 9:42 PM, Snake45 said:

I've tried boiling water on a badly warped resin and it worked out ok but I definitely wouldn't try it on anything vintage.  A hairdryer works good but you've gotta be careful with it also, don't  ask me how I know 😁

45 minutes ago, Scott8950 said:

I've tried boiling water on a badly warped resin and it worked out ok but I definitely wouldn't try it on anything vintage.  A hairdryer works good but you've gotta be careful with it also, don't  ask me how I know 😁

I've been using steam to unwarp styrene with some success. Latest try was the "caved-in" roof of a Monogram 1/24 '65 Corvette. Was trying to get just a touch of convex on the upper line of the windshield. Didn't quite make it but I did get it straight across--definitely better than the concave line I started with. :unsure:

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

I've been using steam to unwarp styrene with some success. Latest try was the "caved-in" roof of a Monogram 1/24 '65 Corvette. Was trying to get just a touch of convex on the upper line of the windshield. Didn't quite make it but I did get it straight across--definitely better than the concave line I started with. :unsure:

That would look real nice in a charcoal gray metallic! 😎

• 1 year later...
On 5/20/2021 at 9:14 AM, NOBLNG said:

Anybody have any things you have done that did not turn out as planned or needed correction...kind of an anti-tip?  I made a copy of the Revell Jeep Honcho frame out of styrene sheet. To make matters worse, I laminated .060” and .040” to get the .100” that I wanted. It worked OK, but the seam of the lamination is a pain to fill. Next time I will invest in the proper thickness of sheet or use rectangular stock. Well, live and learn.😳

5BC8C426-722A-4CCB-9650-0A71165A7D99.jpeg

This is a pretty sweet looking frame. We do what we can with what we got! In light of this, I’d say you nailed it.

BTW, I think the anti tips and tricks is a start of a great subject.

• 4 months later...
19 hours ago, stitchdup said:

never again will i have my booth in the bathroom. turns out my deodrant and tamiya rattle tins are the same size when you aint looking and suburu blue armpits are not a good look (next time i'll use something flashier from hok, lol)

Did you bare metal foil them too?😂

• Haha 3

• 2 months later...