Model Cars Magazine Forum

my 3d printed projects

my66s55

I have tossed this idea around for quite some time. With the amount of dis-information of current 3d printing, I think it is high time I do this. Over the last few year I have accumulated a number of files

of 3d cars I am interested in. Some were free. Some were low priced and some were free. From these 30 files I can create 35 cars from the 30's.50's and 60's. These files include: 36 Chevy 2 DR sedan,36 Buick 2 dr< 37 Bugatti Atlantis with interior, 37 Buick 4 dr, 37 Delehaye 135 F&F roadster, 38 Talbot logo teardrop coupe, 39 Olds convertible coupe, 40 LaSalle convertible coupe, 53 Cadillac Eldorado convertible, 53-54 Mercury convertible, 54 Olds 88, 55 Lincoln Caprie, 55 Mercury, 55 Pontiac, 55 Dodge, 57 Dodge,55 Buick Century 57 Plymouth, 57 DeSoto, 57 Lincoln Caprie convertible, 57 Olds 98, convertible, 57 Buick roadmaster, 57 Dodge. 58 Buick, 58 Ford, 59 Olds 98, 64 Buick Skylark, 65 Dodge Dart, 66 Cuda.
  I will Take you though the process of what;s needed to complete a model in 3d.

• Like 2

First and foremost is the fact that you need to be able to use a CAD software. 

The first task is to find a usable 3d cad file. I usually search for 3d car files and find websites. 3d printable files are almost non existent. Sometimes I find a really nice free one file. Sometimes there in the $30 to $40 range and then there's the higher priced ones like on Hum3d. As I have mentioned in other posts, Hum 3d can be a BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH shoot. Such was the case with this 55 Dodge 4dr. 

609647565_55Dodgevert.jpeg.37e6f6fa82f62533c4e5973cf0208b99.jpeg

Another good thing to have is a 3d blue print of the car.

619585719_Dodgetop.jpeg.09beff90a45e712af8243e40a9325397.jpeg 

• Like 2

So I get the file and take a look. This is what I find. The guy who created the file didn't have a clue what a 50's American car looked like. Here is the comparison of the file and the 3d blue print top view. The windshield and front cowing / hood are a total mess. This will require a large cad drawing fix.

1446804637_55Dodgevert2.jpeg.1973ea797bb87445d9eef2b9a219ffec.jpeg

Then when the sides are checked, major problem. American cars in this period were slab sided, not curved way under the body.

1865392723_Dodge_Coronet_(Mk3)_4door_sedan_19551.png.97c332f91f321ed32f3a3764d1b01b4e.png  

The whole back end need replacing.

Edited by my66s55
  • Like 2

Hey! I'll be following this thread for sure Doug! I see you have the file for a '57 Lincoln........I wanted The Modelhaus kit when they had it, but now's it's practically unobtainium, as well as a super high price if one ever turns up on the 'Bay.

You've got my attention! 👍

Now that I know what's wrong with the file, it's time to start fixing it. I'm not a big fan of 4 dr sedans. This will become a convertible. Hum3d files are created like a reaj car with individual parts. These can be highlighted and saved as an stl. file so that they can be worked on separately. You can see this in the first picture of this post. I create an stl. file of the highlighted part and delete the highlighted part on the first file. Then I open a blank file in Blender and load the created stl. file and remove the roof. The back door will be used.

1772850313_55Dodgevert1.jpeg.36fd5b9c88a640e2f1c2ac2d68b27928.jpeg

The next step is to go to work on all the problems.

13 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Hey! I'll be following this thread for sure Doug! I see you have the file for a '57 Lincoln........I wanted The Modelhaus kit when they had it, but now's it's practically unobtainium, as well as a super high price if one ever turns up on the 'Bay.

You've got my attention! 👍

It's one of the better Hum3d files that I found for free on a different web sight.

screen.png.9f7ee1a42f0573bef1d57549e4d2e752.png 

• Like 1

I own a 1955 Coronet 4-door. I'd love to see a corrected 3-D model of that so I can build my car. Closest I could get was one of MCW's Custom Royal Lancers.

Doug, I'm working a couple of possible ways to start doing some low-medium volume kit production that might be a little more economical long-term than 3D, and some of your subjects might be a good match. Let me know if you'd like to team up.

Charlie Larkin

Time to fix this mess. The first thing I work on is the rear quarter panel after I split the body in half. I can't see any reason to try to fix both side of a symmetrical body when you don't have to. The only thing not the same is the gas tank door. I'll cover that fix later if I remember. If not, someone remind me. The the first thing I did was to re-attach the rear door and fill the existing gap between it and rear panel. Next, I converted the curve into a slab side to replicate the real car as best I could. Then I adjusted the panel to fit the width of a 2 dr. Then I addedSelection_216.png.88831393416a4793de133ca6ddf9caa3.png the door and extend it to fit. Notice how I have corrected the line at the top of the panel to fit the convertible.993166007_rearquarterpanel.png.631b99df01d1d15484db3cdda4829942.png

On 6/5/2021 at 7:32 AM, charlie8575 said:

I own a 1955 Coronet 4-door. I'd love to see a corrected 3-D model of that so I can build my car. Closest I could get was one of MCW's Custom Royal Lancers.

Doug, I'm working a couple of possible ways to start doing some low-medium volume kit production that might be a little more economical long-term than 3D, and some of your subjects might be a good match. Let me know if you'd like to team up.

Charlie Larkin

Sounds like an interesting proposition Charlie. Please keep me posted as to the details.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Michael jones said:

Just wondering, almost all files i see on the net don't have windows. Is it possible to 3d print windows in clear resin for example, or are they too thin to be possible? Thanks and great work.

Micheal it's possible, but not ideal. The best way to do window is clear plastic. If I take the windshield glass file out of the cad file, I can create a file to 3d print a buck to form it with clear plastic and heat gun. The end results are much more realistic and to scale.

• Like 1