Model Cars Magazine Forum

Someone Reacted

Brutalform

9 hours ago, Anglia105E said:
How to: Stop Saying “Like” and Immediately Sound Smarter
  1. Learn how to use "like" correctly. ...
  2. Pause when you would say "like." ...
  3. Ask others to help you. ...
  4. Record yourself. ...
  5. Replace "like" with another word. ...
  6. Know the most common ways "like" is misused. ...
  7. Learn new words. ...
  8. Challenge yourself

David  ( the last post..... Not )

Unfortunately David, in our ever-changing English language the word "like" has been hijacked by Facebook (and now more and more other social platforms) to have a different meaning than what you described above.   Check out definition #4 in  https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/like.  I'm sure you are well aware of that fact, and you are just trolling here.

EDIT:  here we have a perfect example. Someone just tagged this post with a "confused" tag.  What is confusing about the statement I made?  If I knew the identity of the tagger, I could ask for the reason of his confusion, but as it is now, I'm confused too.  Crazy stuff!

Edited by peteski
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

Since these icons are here and pretty much unassigned, we can give values to them!

1CDA68DF-FBE6-4D4D-8333-541D614ED22C.jpeg.b23b4a6ffd8ee28511f3fd6a8f585c0d.jpeg

We Like!

F3733CC8-CF23-4395-BC0C-5BC27A6F5C96.jpeg.b8f811d24efd4aa490afe0aa6c5868ec.jpeg

You Funny!

4C8AF84D-5774-4A89-93D4-7EC480275AB2.jpeg.a8c0af7247b23bd8e4cd9f7c76eaecce.jpeg

Your model looks like it was built by a fourth grader! Here’s your trophy!

1267F6BA-ED6C-4BC6-A2D1-64A9EAE90A8C.jpeg.4a56190a61c149a4d92de8eac022079e.jpeg

You shouldn’t be allowed to give advise!

F0BD3D39-1952-44A2-B451-406F40AF7F33.jpeg.18c7eedc2892bd520788fe753d948f2a.jpeg

Yo mamma builds Palmer kits!

Edited by Tom Geiger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

8 hours ago, Anglia105E said:
How to: Stop Saying “Like” and Immediately Sound Smarter
  1. Learn how to use "like" correctly. ...
  2. Pause when you would say "like." ...
  3. Ask others to help you. ...
  4. Record yourself. ...
  5. Replace "like" with another word. ...
  6. Know the most common ways "like" is misused. ...
  7. Learn new words. ...
  8. Challenge yourself

David  ( the last post..... Not )

2120237576_likeyah.jpg.9e27c17caf003234a9795a0604d13ada.jpg

• Confused 2

28 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Since these icons are here and pretty much unassigned, we can give values to them!

1CDA68DF-FBE6-4D4D-8333-541D614ED22C.jpeg.b23b4a6ffd8ee28511f3fd6a8f585c0d.jpeg

We Like!

F3733CC8-CF23-4395-BC0C-5BC27A6F5C96.jpeg.b8f811d24efd4aa490afe0aa6c5868ec.jpeg

You Funny!

4C8AF84D-5774-4A89-93D4-7EC480275AB2.jpeg.a8c0af7247b23bd8e4cd9f7c76eaecce.jpeg

Your model looks like it was built by a fourth grader! Here’s your trophy!

1267F6BA-ED6C-4BC6-A2D1-64A9EAE90A8C.jpeg.4a56190a61c149a4d92de8eac022079e.jpeg

You shouldn’t be allowed to give advise!

F0BD3D39-1952-44A2-B451-406F40AF7F33.jpeg.18c7eedc2892bd520788fe753d948f2a.jpeg

Yo mamma builds Palmer kits!

Thanks for a good laugh. This is now officially the best post.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Brutalform said:

And as Steve and Josh say, it’s time for this thread to die for me, as I tap the unfollow button. 

Hey, I’m not saying “you” in particular. I just think the statement holds true for anyone on probably any forum who’s having a hard time simply ignoring something. It’s something that can so easily be ignored.

Edited by Venom
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, peteski said:

Unfortunately David, in our ever-changing English language the word "like" has been hijacked by Facebook (and now more and more other social platforms) to have a different meaning than what you described above.   Check out definition #4 in  https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/like.  I'm sure you are well aware of that fact, and you are just trolling here.

EDIT:  here we have a perfect example. Someone just tagged this post with a "confused" tag.  What is confusing about the statement I made?  If I knew the identity of the tagger, I could ask for the reason of his confusion, but as it is now, I'm confused too.  Crazy stuff!

Why is it so easy now to just accuse somebody of trolling? My understanding of the actual internet definition of trolling is that one has to have malicious intent to disrupt or cause harm to the forum community or an individual of the forum. Talk about skewing the meaning of a word!

If you really want to use trolling according to such a broad ranging definition type, then I’d say every one of us on this thread, including you are trolling. 

Also, reguarding those reaction symbols, there is nowhere on my device that shows what their meanings are, so I’m sure some people use them according to what they think that face suggests. Also, some people, like myself, have a cynical sense of humor and are likely using this thread as an opportunity to make a point by intentionally posting reactions that make no sense. Why can’t people just read between the lines and figure out the dynamics of how people’s minds work? It’s really pretty simple.

So, did I just troll by making this post?

PS, I’m not saying that I’m intentionally posting reactions that make no sense, but it only seems obvious to me that some people are, and I totally get it and don’t even find it inappropriate on this particular topic. 

Edited by Venom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

28 minutes ago, Venom said:

PS, I’m not saying that I’m intentionally posting reactions that make no sense, but it only seems obvious to me that some people are, and I totally get it and don’t even find it inappropriate on this particular topic. 

I am highly offended by all of this!!

Yes, I'm joking.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Venom said:

Why is it so easy now to just accuse somebody of trolling? My understanding of the actual internet definition of trolling is that one has to have malicious intent to disrupt or cause harm to the forum community or an individual of the forum. Talk about skewing the meaning of a word!

If you really want to use trolling according to such a broad ranging definition type, then I’d say every one of us on this thread, including you are trolling. 

Also, reguarding those reaction symbols, there is nowhere on my device that shows what their meanings are, so I’m sure some people use them according to what they think that face suggests. Also, some people, like myself, have a cynical sense of humor and are likely using this thread as an opportunity to make a point by intentionally posting reactions that make no sense. Why can’t people just read between the lines and figure out the dynamics of how people’s minds work? It’s really pretty simple.

Sorry chaps, but I am not happy about being accused of trolling...... that is something that I would never do. As Josh stated so clearly " My understanding of the actual internet definition of trolling is that one has to have malicious intent to disrupt or cause harm to the forum community or an individual of the forum. "

I think I will stay within the Model Cars W.I.P. section and also the W.I.P. Dioramas section, rather than get distracted by this How To Use This Board section. What seemed to be a bit of fun soon developed into something else...... I am not a TROLL.

The Google definition of ' Like ' is referring to the English word ' Like ', and not the Facebook, Chat, Social Media meaning of ' Like '. Many young people in this country will throw in the word ' Like ' every few sentences, just like some email messages have ' LOL ' at the end of of every other sentence.

David

• Confused 2

36 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

Sorry chaps, but I am not happy about being accused of trolling...... that is something that I would never do. As Josh stated so clearly " My understanding of the actual internet definition of trolling is that one has to have malicious intent to disrupt or cause harm to the forum community or an individual of the forum. "

I think I will stay within the Model Cars W.I.P. section and also the W.I.P. Dioramas section, rather than get distracted by this How To Use This Board section. What seemed to be a bit of fun soon developed into something else...... I am not a TROLL.

The Google definition of ' Like ' is referring to the English word ' Like ', and not the Facebook, Chat, Social Media meaning of ' Like '. Many young people in this country will throw in the word ' Like ' every few sentences, just like some email messages have ' LOL ' at the end of of every other sentence.

David

By no means have you been trolling. Your contributions to this thread have been entirely in the spirit. Unfortunately sometimes people to be more careful of the terms they use.

• Confused 3

4 hours ago, Brutalform said:

I agree. I got my answer pretty quick when I posted this thread. Then I messed up turning that feature off, but then finally got it done correctly. I’m just happy that I was able to tailor my account to MY preferences. When I see or read a topic I don’t agree with, I usually just scroll on by. I can usually tell that if I post a response, and it might start a bit of trouble, it’s really not worth it. Life is too short, and I pick and choose my battles.  Different strokes for different folks. But yea, I’m surprised it has gone on for 6 pages. But if people have something to talk about, I say go for it. 

I just wanted to see how many "someone reacteds "I'd get by posting that. So far only 4(I'm disappointed).

Edited by RichCostello
puncuation
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Anglia105E said:

David,

Please re-read your earlier post, and my response to it.  If you Consider Google as a reliable source of accurate info then we have nothing more to discuss.  I provided a link to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, and pointed you to one of several definitions of the word "like" and its usage.  That should be more trustworthy than Google.

While I don't like it (yes, I'm using the word "like"), the fact is that English language is evolving, and words can gain new meanings and usage.  See definition #4  in the link I provided in my response to you.  Now I'm wondering if you even bothered to look at that info.  I'm not on FB and I dislike this whole "like" thing they have (and now we have it too too), so I don't think I need to be educated by you on how to *PROPERLY* use the word "like".

As far as the trolling comment goes, IMO your "educational" post seemed like trolling.

Edited by peteski
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, peteski said:

EDIT:  here we have a perfect example. Someone just tagged this post with a "confused" tag.  What is confusing about the statement I made?  If I knew the identity of the tagger, I could ask for the reason of his confusion

This is what I've been trying to argue all along, and it highlights the problem with these faceless emoticons.

Let's pretend that I've just posted a modeling procedure post of some sort in the "Tips, Tricks and Tutorials" section of the forum.

Somebody adds a "confused" notification to my post.

Well, how am I supposed to interpret the individuals confusion, and possibly help them through it with further information when I don't even know who the person is?

Again, this just highlights how useless anonymous reactions are.

As I see it, something like a "confused" emoticon offered anonymously has no purpose other than to make a sarcastic statement about a particular post, and not have to take responsibility for it.

If there's no way that I can address your confusion, I can't help alleviate it.

I see no other use for it whatsoever.

Steve     

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, peteski said:

David,

Please re-read your earlier post, and my response to it.  If you Consider Google as a reliable source of accurate info then we have nothing more to discuss.  I provided a link to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, and pointed you to one of several definitions of the word "like" and its usage.  That should be more trustworthy than Google.

While I don't like it (yes, I'm using the word "like"), the fact is that English language is evolving, and words can gain new meanings and usage.  See definition #4  in the link I provided in my response to you.  Now I'm wondering if you even bothered to look at that info.  I'm not on FB and I dislike this whole "like" thing they have (and now we have it too too), so I don't think I need to be educated by you on how to *PROPERLY* use the word "like".

As far as the trolling comment goes, IMO your "educational" post seemed like trolling.

Okay, thank you Peter...... I hadn't intended my comment to be educational, it was merely quoting a definition of the word in question. Not my definition, and probably not accurate. I do tend to believe Wikipedia and Google, but not to the extent that I don't use my own common sense. No hard feelings eh? We fellow members at MCM have a shared common interest in all things related to model cars, and as long as we stick to the wonderful hobby that we all enjoy, all the other stuff ( such as ' Likes ' ) are there for teenagers. We are mostly mature gentlemen, who should know better, my friend !

David

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

This is what I've been trying to argue all along, and it highlights the problem with these faceless emoticons.

Let's pretend that I've just posted a modeling procedure post of some sort in the "Tips, Tricks and Tutorials" section of the forum.

Somebody adds a "confused" notification to my post.

Well, how am I supposed to interpret the individuals confusion, and possibly help them through it with further information when I don't even know who the person is?

Again, this just highlights how useless anonymous reactions are.

As I see it, something like a "confused" emoticon offered anonymously has no purpose other than to make a sarcastic statement about a particular post, and not have to take responsibility for it.

If there's no way that I can address your confusion, I can't help alleviate it.

I see no other use for it whatsoever.

Steve     

Well said, that man !

David

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Maybe the webmasters will now set up an 'I'm in full admiration of your modelling skills' button.......!!!!    LOL

Peteski  remarked about our ever changing English language. Funny thing is that there is a US version of English, but English English that the US adopted and adapted is referred to as English European? Most words are spelt the same but a number of words are spelt phonetically in the US version.    Tyres....Tires     Centre....Center     Modelling....Modeling      Plough.....Plow      etc.

Trolling has been mentioned more than once in this thread.  Let's keep the posts light hearted guys!

Edited by Bugatti Fan
  • Confused 2

23 hours ago, peteski said:

I give you the confused face cause all these discussions are dumb. If you don't like the like button don't touch it. Lol you are no English expert and anyways guess what noone cares this is dumb! Hit the like button if you agree -->

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Ctmodeler said:

I give you the confused face cause all these discussions are dumb. If you don't like the like button don't touch it. Lol you are no English expert and anyways guess what noone cares this is dumb! Hit the like button if you agree

You are missing the point Kenneth.  It is not me not touching the "like" button -- it is about me seeing who tagged my posts.  Looks at all my posts - they have *LOTS* of tags. I want to know which members are doing it.

As for not being an "English expert" -- you are correct.  English is my second language, and I'm continuously trying to improve my English language skills. However I often  notice that I have a much better grasp of it than many native English speakers.

I also don't think Anglia105E doesn't need any help defending himself and his posts.

Lastly, you stated that "noone care".  How can you say that with 7 pages of responses in this thread?  You must be blind.  "Noone"?  What a nice example of a proper English language! ;)

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

3 minutes ago, peteski said:

You are missing the point Kenneth.  It is not me not touching the "like" button -- it is about me seeing who tagged my posts.  Looks at all my posts - they have *LOTS* of tags. I want to know which members are doing it.

As for not being an "English expert" -- you are correct.  English is my second language, and I'm continuously trying to improve my English language skills. However I often  notice that I have a much better grasp of it than many native English speakers.

I also don't think Anglia105E doesn't need any help defending himself and his posts.

Lastly, you stated that "noone care".  How can you say that with 7 pages of responses in this thread?  You must be blind.  "Noone"?  What a nice example of a proper English language! ;)

Why are you so offended that you can't see who reacted in what way to your posts anyways ? 

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Ctmodeler said:

I give you the confused face cause all these discussions are dumb. If you don't like the like button don't touch it. Lol you are no English expert and anyways guess what noone cares this is dumb! Hit the like button if you agree -->

If you think this discussion is so “dumb”, why are you participating in it? 
It’s very easy to just walk away if you feel that’s the case. 
I see discussions and topics every day on this forum and others that I feel are stupid or pointless.

In those cases, I just don’t get involved.

I don’t chime in just to tell everybody that does think that the topic is worth while that I think they’re “dumb” for doing so.

Steve

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

12 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Peteski  remarked about our ever changing English language. Funny thing is that there is a US version of English, but English English that the US adopted and adapted is referred to as English European? the

The British and Americans are two peoples divided by a common language. Bye the bye, youse guys were the ones what changed the way you talked. Up to the late 18th Century, British and American English were nearly identical in pronunciation, being close to the Elizabethan Early Modern English of Bill Shakespeare. Modern American English is actually more similar to what British English sounded like before the War of Independence than the Public School English (RP) used today. Our British cousins messed with the language with the Great Vowel Shift and Received Pronunciation (RP) dropped "R's" all over the place so you would sound all fancy and posh like Margaret Dumont in a Marx Brothers film. :P:D

3 hours ago, Ctmodeler said:

. Lol you are no English expert and anyways guess what noone cares this is dumb!

Reading through large numbers of posts in this, and other fora, neither are large numbers of people who, more than likely, speak and write only in English as the sole language for communicating.

Edited by SfanGoch
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

• Xingu locked this topic