Model Cars Magazine Forum

*1961 Chevy Impala SS*

Zippi

1 hour ago, bluestringer said:

I like those wheels and tires Bob, it will look great with them. What kit did they come from? 

The wheels and tires are from the Revell 56 Ford pickup (Foose).  They are staggered and worked well on my 60 Chevy pickup as well.  

20210723_120747.jpg

• Like 1

Ok....just did a mock up and it's a little hard to hold the pieces in place but it looks like I'm going to need to remove at least an 1/8" from the rear coil springs to get the ride height in the rear like I want it.  I'm going to start out with 1/16' and steady as she goes ☺

20211030_144311.jpg

20211030_144534.jpg

Looking at the front suspension I can't get it any lower unless I cut into the Wheel wells where the black lines are.  So, the mock up I did is about as low as it's going to get.    

20211030_151145.jpg

20211030_151151.jpg

Edited by Zippi

9 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

Coming along nicely. I've never tried wiring a kit distributor, always just bought a pre-wired one. Nice job. 

Thanks.  Takes about 10 min to drill, cut and glue the wires in.  Looks as good as what I was buying. 

Well....looking at the weather forcast for the next 10 to 15 days the weather is just getting colder.  Looks like I may have lost my window to get the 61 Impala painted.  I'll need one day above 65 degrees to paint and another good day to clear it.  I don't think it's going to happen but we'll see.  May have to put this one off until Spring.  Good thing I painted 3 bodies a few weeks ago for Winter builds.  

1 hour ago, NOBLNG said:

Looking good so far Bob! I like those wheels and tires. I may have to grab one of those Foose kits just for parts. 

Thanks man.  Yeah....I have 3 of the kits that I use parts out of.  Nice wheels and engine. 

I would really like to get the body painted so I have a question for you paint experts.  If I have my garage warmed up above 60 degrees, paint has been warmed up before mixing, can I step outside my garage and airbrush a coat on and step back inside the garage were its warm to let it cure awaiting second/third coats.  What effect would this have on the quality of the paint job?  Or.....is this a bad idea?  

3 hours ago, Zippi said:

I would really like to get the body painted so I have a question for you paint experts.  If I have my garage warmed up above 60 degrees, paint has been warmed up before mixing, can I step outside my garage and airbrush a coat on and step back inside the garage were its warm to let it cure awaiting second/third coats.  What effect would this have on the quality of the paint job?  Or.....is this a bad idea?  

I get varied outcomes in cold weather. Most of the time if it's cold the paint looks dull and matt, but a good polish always brings it up good. I wouldn't paint outside cos the spray will grab moisture in the air and leave blotchy marks or cissing in the paint that can't polish out. You can paint in the cold, so long as there's no moisture in the air.

1 hour ago, doorsovdoon said:

I get varied outcomes in cold weather. Most of the time if it's cold the paint looks dull and matt, but a good polish always brings it up good. I wouldn't paint outside cos the spray will grab moisture in the air and leave blotchy marks or cissing in the paint that can't polish out. You can paint in the cold, so long as there's no moisture in the air.

Thanks Gareth.  Its suppose to hit 50 degrees tomorrow afternoon and sunny.  I think I'll give it a go.

On 10/28/2021 at 1:30 PM, Zippi said:

I think I found my Huckleberry.  I first pulled out my 66 Nova as I've heard that subframe was good to use and I then pulled out the 67 Chevelle.  Still not sure about this major mod.  I pulled out my 56 Ford (Foose) pickup and the wheels fit like a glove with only some minor mods needed to get the stance I want.  Whatya think of these wheels and tires and the stance?

20211028_121607.jpg

I have a set of left over tires and wheels from that Foose FD-100 as well, I think you just gave me an idea to use them on a '61 I have just waiting for inspiration!  Thanks!!!   Here's my version of the FD-100

DSCF0233.JPG

Edited by 67Spirit
changed picture

2 minutes ago, 67Spirit said:

I have a set of left over tires and wheels from that Foose FD-100 as well, I think you just gave me an idea to use them on a '61 I have just waiting for inspiration!  Thanks!!!   Here's my version of the FD-100

New Phototastic Collage.jpg

Your welcome.  Link doesn't work for me.

7 hours ago, Zippi said:

Come on Buddy, just a little overspray in your pristine man cave garage ain't gonna hurt😂😂

29 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Come on Buddy, just a little overspray in your pristine man cave garage ain't gonna hurt😂😂

I wish I could man.  I really don't want to paint in my garage but its the wife that really put her foot down.  She is afraid that once she pulls her car back in the garage the Paint will attack her car.  🙄