Model Cars Magazine Forum

*1961 Chevy Impala SS*

Zippi

I like the look in that last pic. 

as to the pro street frame/tubs, I’ve used the revell 67 pro street kit ‘back half’ under a 59 caddy, 41 Plymouth coupe, a Lindberg 66 chevelle and got one mostly grafted onto a moebius pick up. That particular back half has a nice cross rail in front of the wheel tubs, makes for the perfect place to cut, so you end up with a great area to attach the existing frame of whatever it is you use it under after you cut the back half of the kits floor/frame off.

31 minutes ago, happy grumpy said:

Bob,

I built this kit a few years ago as a Lindberg kit. I took the built stock route, but I am looking forward to see how it's gonna turn out . Staying tuned.

This looks like a good kit Mario so I'll be taking my time.

Nice project Bob. I built one of these way back, but I was fortunate enough to acquire a resin chassis that had the back halved tubs molded in already. I believe it was Porkys Resins is where I bought it. I was told there are no more, as the mold  was damaged. I have a few pics of the build so maybe you can get an idea on what to do as far as back halving it yourself. Keep in mind that the pics are old. I still wish I never sold my old 61 build. 
You can always post in the “wanted” section. Maybe someone just might have one they would be willing to part with. 

A66E0BE8-E62A-4CC8-918F-65FFA95387CD.jpeg

55A9FBED-8299-402A-A600-39F4322D242F.jpeg

ADFCD026-6CF9-415C-80B1-88117C6FF430.jpeg

A7730892-77E1-4A70-AC42-8010E3C2C522.jpeg

CB14EFFF-F5D7-4781-AB6C-9FB646E751AC.jpeg

06A85873-323D-4F9C-BFCB-58F462AD2A8A.jpeg

Take the great advice from all the others. You won’t know your abilities unless you dive in. If you mess up, it’s only styrene. Just take your time, and double and triple check everything before cutting. Get everything as “straight” as possible, especially on the chassis, as being “off” only a little bit, will make your axles and wheels be off. I’ve made many mistakes, but just like anything, the more you do it, the better you get at it. I for one, and I’m sure others will agree, that we ALL learn something new everyday in the hobby of model car building. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Brutalform said:

Nice project Bob. I built one of these way back, but I was fortunate enough to acquire a resin chassis that had the back halved tubs molded in already. I believe it was Porkys Resins is where I bought it. I was told there are no more, as the mold  was damaged. I have a few pics of the build so maybe you can get an idea on what to do as far as back halving it yourself. Keep in mind that the pics are old. I still wish I never sold my old 61 build. 
You can always post in the “wanted” section. Maybe someone just might have one they would be willing to part with. 

A66E0BE8-E62A-4CC8-918F-65FFA95387CD.jpeg

55A9FBED-8299-402A-A600-39F4322D242F.jpeg

ADFCD026-6CF9-415C-80B1-88117C6FF430.jpeg

A7730892-77E1-4A70-AC42-8010E3C2C522.jpeg

CB14EFFF-F5D7-4781-AB6C-9FB646E751AC.jpeg

06A85873-323D-4F9C-BFCB-58F462AD2A8A.jpeg

Thanks for those pics Tom.  That is one tuff looking 61.  That's the looks I had in my head.  You guys got me to thinking now and that is dangerous.  I have a 66 Nova Pro Street that is already set up. I may be able to cut the back half off and graft it onto the 61.  I need to think about this for a while.    

Don’t think, get out the knife/saw/dremel or whatever your preferred implement of destruction is and start cutting, haha! Once you make that first cut, you’re committed, I find that helps the process😁

worst part is, after reading this and seeing some pics, I now want to build a tubbed version  of this kit……

14 minutes ago, tbill said:

Don’t think, get out the knife/saw/dremel or whatever your preferred implement of destruction is and start cutting, haha! Once you make that first cut, you’re committed, I find that helps the process😁

worst part is, after reading this and seeing some pics, I now want to build a tubbed version  of this kit……

Haha.....I started something ☺

15 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

The key is careful planning. As the saying goes measure twice and cut once.  From the photos above of the tubed chassis it looks straight forward. If you take your time im positive you xan get those big rear tires under the vack.

Thanks for the encouragement Bob.  Can I do it....probably but just not in the mood this time around.  I think I have decided to go with the Foose wheels on this one.  This way there are no major mods needed.   

20211028_121607.jpg

5 hours ago, Zippi said:

Thanks Bill.  Your El Camino looks pretty kewl.  Think I'm leaning more towards the Classic look now instead of the Pro Street look.  

Hi Bob! I love the 61-62 Impalas, my dad owned a 62 back in the day. As much as would have loved to see you “tub it”, the Foose wheel/tires look outstanding on it. Keep it low!! The mocked up stance looks killer.

Cheers, Steve

1 hour ago, Steve H said:

Hi Bob! I love the 61-62 Impalas, my dad owned a 62 back in the day. As much as would have loved to see you “tub it”, the Foose wheel/tires look outstanding on it. Keep it low!! The mocked up stance looks killer.

Cheers, Steve

Thanks man