Model Cars Magazine Forum

*1961 Chevy Impala SS*

Zippi

Coming soon fella's.  Finishing up a build then I'll be on this one.  Going to try my hand at the AMT 61 Bubble top.  I have a bottle of Delta Ceramcoat Navy Blue that might work for this one. I'd sure like to get these big ole meats on the back end.  Don't know if it's in me or not.  If you have built a 61 and modified the rear end to hold bigger tires let me see some pick.  The stock slicks look so small.  

20211027_162415.jpg

20211027_160928.jpg

Ceramcoat Navy Blue.jpg

4 minutes ago, cobraman said:

I suspect a lot of work to get those huge meats on there Bob but,  you can do it !!!

Well.....I appreciate the confidence booster but I'm not sure.  In the morning when I head out to the garage I'll be pulling all the parts out of the box and ill ponder over it and it may take a 3rd cup of coffee 😁

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

Ha.....I just bought this kit last week also. Sure would like to see those big tires on there, I'll be following. 

I'd like to see them on there to James but I think it would require cutting the frame out on both sides.

Probably gonna have to "back-half" it. Cut away the rear part of the frame and floorpan and graft on the rear subframe from a pro street kit to get everything to be roadworthy. 

That'll also entail modifying the backseat area for the tubs.

Not impossible, It's been done many times before. 

Or you might find another chassis that fits intact. Try the 67 Prostreet Chevelle.

5 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Probably gonna have to "back-half" it. Cut away the rear part of the frame and floorpan and graft on the rear subframe from a pro street kit to get everything to be roadworthy. 

That'll also entail modifying the backseat area for the tubs.

Not impossible, It's been done many times before. 

Or you might find another chassis that fits intact. Try the 67 Prostreet Chevelle.

I was thinking the Chevelle or the Nova but I don't really know.  I'm pretty much a box stock builder and this may be out of my league.  

48 minutes ago, Zippi said:

I was thinking the Chevelle or the Nova but I don't really know.  I'm pretty much a box stock builder and this may be out of my league.  

That's me too Bob, I don't do any big modifications like that, scared I will mess up the whole kit. I do have the Chevelle Pro Street kit, I will check it out to see how it fits under the Impala. 

24 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

That's me too Bob, I don't do any big modifications like that, scared I will mess up the whole kit. I do have the Chevelle Pro Street kit, I will check it out to see how it fits under the Impala. 

Yup....I don't want to miss up a kit either.  Let me know about the Chevelle.

51 minutes ago, Zippi said:

Yup....I don't want to miss up a kit either.  Let me know about the Chevelle.

Looks like it could be made to work, but like already mentioned you would have to remove the front section of the Chevelle frame and graft on the front section of the Impala frame, the front wheel wells on the Chevelle are molded into the frame, and on the Impala they are molded to the body. Plus you would probably need the front section for mounting the engine. May need other mods to make everything line up. It could be done, but too much work for me to take on. I'm going with the stock version of the Impala, the Chevelle is all Pro Street and has a nice set of big slicks for the rear. 

16 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

Looks like it could be made to work, but like already mentioned you would have to remove the front section of the Chevelle frame and graft on the front section of the Impala frame, the front wheel wells on the Chevelle are molded into the frame, and on the Impala they are molded to the body. Plus you would probably need the front section for mounting the engine. May need other mods to make everything line up. It could be done, but too much work for me to take on. I'm going with the stock version of the Impala, the Chevelle is all Pro Street and has a nice set of big slicks for the rear. 

Thank's for the info James.  I'm going to look in my stash and see what other tires I may have that are in-between the stock and the big meats. 

2 hours ago, hedotwo said:

I have a tubbed rear from <I think> a PS Firebird that you're welcome to if you'd like to try and make it work.  I've added a few pics of the tub and the Lindberg 61.

IMG-0705 (Small).JPG

IMG-0706 (Small).JPG

IMG-0707 (Small).JPG

I appreciate the offer Rich and I will keep it in mind.  I just finished my 34 pickup and haven't gotten deep into the 61 Impala yet.  

I think I found my Huckleberry.  I first pulled out my 66 Nova as I've heard that subframe was good to use and I then pulled out the 67 Chevelle.  Still not sure about this major mod.  I pulled out my 56 Ford (Foose) pickup and the wheels fit like a glove with only some minor mods needed to get the stance I want.  Whatya think of these wheels and tires and the stance?

20211028_121607.jpg

It's only plastic, that's my motto. 

I understand not wanting to "ruin" a new kit, but if you want something different you have to push yourself sometimes.

It's not a rare kit, so i bet if you mess something up someone might have a spare for you.

That being said, the last mockup with the Foose wheels looks good, but probably could be lower. 

Of course you could just make it a curbside if you want to use those pro street tires. Or if you want to use the Foose wheels use the old trick and just cut the tops off to let it sit lower.