Model Cars Magazine Forum

*1961 Chevy Impala SS*

Zippi

Working on my plug wire boots this morning.  This may not be the best way or the way you do it but it's what I came up with so far.  I use 30 AWG wire for the plug wires.  I buy some old phone wire at Ace Hardware (49 cents ft) that has 4 wires inside.  I pick the color of boots I want and strip the insulation off the wire and cut them to length.  I run a needle in the end of the insulation to enlarge a little to get the plug wire started. Doesn't looks to bad.   

20211103_112258.jpg

20211103_102850.jpg

20211103_104403.jpg

20211103_110701.jpg

3 minutes ago, doorsovdoon said:

Beautiful shade of blue. Nice work on the plug wires. I use phone line too but I rarely wire my engines, though I should do, it makes them look so much nicer and detailed. Nice work.

Thanks Gareth.  I forgot to put my 409 decals on the valve covers but I can still get them on.

6 minutes ago, Zippi said:

Thanks Gareth.  I forgot to put my 409 decals on the valve covers but I can still get them on.

That's good, decals are the finishing touch. I stuck a Hemi in my '68 Charger build but it's from the old MPC kit which doesn't come with the 426 Hemi Head decal for the air cleaner, gutted:(

3 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

That's good, decals are the finishing touch. I stuck a Hemi in my '68 Charger build but it's from the old MPC kit which doesn't come with the 426 Hemi Head decal for the air cleaner, gutted:(

Yeah its a shame when you don't have those nice engine decals.  I knew better and should have checked.  I was in to much of a hurry to get the distributor wired I guess.

20 hours ago, Zippi said:

Working on my plug wire boots this morning.  This may not be the best way or the way you do it but it's what I came up with so far.  I use 30 AWG wire for the plug wires.  I buy some old phone wire at Ace Hardware (49 cents ft) that has 4 wires inside.  I pick the color of boots I want and strip the insulation off the wire and cut them to length.  I run a needle in the end of the insulation to enlarge a little to get the plug wire started. Doesn't looks to bad.   

That is exactly how I do mine. I will glue the boot into the head first and then enlage with a needle or drill bit. I can then shove a fair amount of excess plug wire through it. The paint is looking good.👍

47 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

That is exactly how I do mine. I will glue the boot into the head first and then enlage with a needle or drill bit. I can then shove a fair amount of excess plug wire through it. The paint is looking good.👍

Thanks Greg.  

I got the 409 finished.  Still haven't decided if I'm going to paint the transmission.  Started to apply the decals and they fell apart when I pulled them out of the water.  Still need to do a little touch up but pretty much done.    

20211104_104915.jpg

20211104_104923.jpg

Edited by Zippi

Got the airbrush out, mask off the sides of the 61 and shot some white on the inserts.  Came out pretty good.  I wrapped it up like a mummy but had to clean up some of the bleed through but came off with water.  The foil should hide those rough edges.  Hopefully.  

20211104_112352.jpg

20211104_121903.jpg

20211104_121911.jpg

20211104_125231.jpg

20211104_125246.jpg

On 11/3/2021 at 11:32 AM, Zippi said:

20211103_112258.jpg

20211103_102850.jpg

20211103_104403.jpg

20211103_110701.jpg

Hay thats the way I do it perfect fit.!!!

Looks good Bob!  I built one a few years ago and I found out the this kit had the mis-shapened cowl which I never knew about and Lindberg had recalled the kit.  Someone tried to tell me about it and he couldn't tell me straight out that the cowl was badly mis-shaped.  I built the model and no one has said anything to me about it since!   

SS40956.JPG

11 minutes ago, mrmike said:

Looks good Bob!  I built one a few years ago and I found out the this kit had the mis-shapened cowl which I never knew about and Lindberg had recalled the kit.  Someone tried to tell me about it and he couldn't tell me straight out that the cowl was badly mis-shaped.  I built the model and no one has said anything to me about it since!   

SS40956.JPG

Thanks.  Nice looking.  I like the lighter shade of blue.

Edited by Zippi